Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
May Banter 2020

George BM

15 minutes ago, nj2va said:

If there’s no hockey this summer, I may lose my sht.  The thought of waiting until October for hockey is..yikes.

Rumors are that the AHL may cancel the rest of the season on Friday... they are having a conference call 

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/05/snapshots-penguins-toronto-ahl.html?fv-home=true&post-id=120053

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I see the political posts in the Covid thread were left up from last evening.  Its a shame everything has to be political...even on a weather board. 

Some people can't help themselves and others suffer because of it.  Then we(mods) get labeled as playing favorites.  Lots of victimhood up in there when its always on the poster to make better posts.

59 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I see the political posts in the Covid thread were left up from last evening.  Its a shame everything has to be political...even on a weather board. 

ive given up. yall are grown ass adults and i'm just a moderator with a bias. good luck.

Here’s what I’m thinking: 

covid thread gets shut down

very limited covid related discussion allowed in banter, specifically things like questions about testing, reopening, logistics. No discussion about policy, case counts, government response, etc.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

very limited covid related discussion allowed in banter, specifically things like questions about testing, reopening, logistics. No discussion about policy, case counts, government response, etc.

good luck

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nj2va said:

Saw that too. Hopefully NHL doesn’t follow suit.

AHL is a different beast since it is basically all gate driven.  I can't imagine they'll continue their season.

Through its TV rights, the NHL will still bring in a ton of revenue if it completes the season, so it will do everything reasonably possible to make it happen.

17 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Just ban the posters who keep breaking the rules.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

AHL is a different beast since it is basically all gate driven.  I can't imagine they'll continue their season.

Through its TV rights, the NHL will still bring in a ton of revenue if it completes the season, so it will do everything reasonably possible to make it happen.

Yep, the lower leagues (ECHL, SPHL, etc) have already called their seasons. Wishing AHL and NHL luck to figure out a way, since I am a HUGE hockey fan, but it isn't looking great.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Ever stop by the main discussion threads during the winter? :P  Snow becomes a proxy for politics!

Just kidding!  Seriously though, you're right...some of the stuff in the COVID thread has gotten even worse than the ugly commentary when winter events fail!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I know my politics are well known and I don't pretend to hide my bias...but here me out on this.  I am not sure how that thread can function without any politics given the current situation.  And this is not intended to blast one side or the other... but there are two vastly different narratives right now wrt Covid, and which narrative people accept or more accurately are getting...seems to totally depend on their political identification.  People who are conservative are tending to get their information about covid from sources which are offering a narrative (its not as big a deal, the economy is more important) totally opposite of the narrative liberals are getting from their information sources.  This post is not taking sides...just pointing out that if you do not even start from a common point of reference wrt the status quo, and the differences in the perceived realities are based on politics...keeping politics out of it becomes impossible.  You can't even say "if we just stick to the facts" because a lot of the problem is we can't agree on what the facts even are.  Studies are contradicting, people (ON BOTH SIDES) are cherry picking data to support one narrative or the other, and that bleeds into policy.  How do you discuss something without it being political when there are two diametrically opposed opinions about what the reality of that issue is based on politics?   Even if all you do is discuss the issue from the "liberal" or "conservative" perspective you are inherently being political just by accepting one narrative or the other.  I suppose it is technically possible to try to word everything in a completely neutral way but that is likely asking too much of everyone.  

BTW, this is something that started happening about a decade ago in policy debate that has at times made me want to get out of it.  It used to be the "inherency" or status quo of a policy topic was accepted and the debate revolved around claims made regarding the efficacy of a policy decision on that topic.  But about 15 years ago or so it started to become en vogue to run "Framework Critiques" basically attacking the whole perception of reality around the topic to try to frame the whole debate in a way that advantages you.  Instead of accepting the facts this strategy was the try to throw out any facts that impede your argument and create an alternate reality that skews the round to your advantage.  And its damn effective because the other team cannot possibly prepare because there are infinite "realities" you could try to manipulate the status quo into.  There is no way to predict what nonsense I might try to concoct and since in policy debate "silence is consent" if you don't have an adequate retort they can win even with utter ridiculous nonsense.   Policy debate has become 80% that now, because its way easier to prep that and puts the other team at a disadvantage, than it is to actually research all the facts on BOTH sides and come prepared for switch side policy debate.  And worse...since judges today are mostly debaters from 10 years ago...its become totally accepted with very few judges taking points off for crazy stupid arguments that lack logical consistency because they were running that crap 10 years ago themselves.  And before anyone thinks I am saying it is "crazy" because its conservative...trust me 90% of these plans are extreme liberal manipulations of reality.   Keep in mind these are usually social activist high school students...you don't tend to get a lot of extremely conservative policy debaters at that level.   But I see the same disturbing trend I noted years ago in debate bleeding into society now.  Don't argue against facts you dont like...just throw them out and create a different narrative.  Destroy objective reality and then you don't have to bother arguing against anything that is inconvenient to your claims.  

• Like 2

COVID thread is locked.  

What I think is appropriate for this thread is LOCAL-related questions/comments regarding the pandemic and associated reopening, etc.  Examples such as:

1.  Does <business> have curbside pickup?

2.  What is <counties> doing for school next fall?

3.  Can I get tested <here>?

4.  Is this <location> open and what restrictions does it have?

Policy discussion, case analysis, armchair epidemiology is not allowed.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know my politics are well known and I don't pretend to hide my bias...but here me out on this.  I am not sure how that thread can function without any politics given the current situation.  And this is not intended to blast one side or the other... but there are two vastly different narratives right now wrt Covid, and which narrative people accept or more accurately are getting...seems to totally depend on their political identification.  People who are conservative are tending to get their information about covid from sources which are offering a narrative (its not as big a deal, the economy is more important) totally opposite of the narrative liberals are getting from their information sources.  This post is not taking sides...just pointing out that if you do not even start from a common point of reference wrt the status quo, and the differences in the perceived realities are based on politics...keeping politics out of it becomes impossible.  You can't even say "if we just stick to the facts" because a lot of the problem is we can't agree on what the facts even are.  Studies are contradicting, people (ON BOTH SIDES) are cherry picking data to support one narrative or the other, and that bleeds into policy.  How do you discuss something without it being political when there are two diametrically opposed opinions about what the reality of that issue is based on politics?   Even if all you do is discuss the issue from the "liberal" or "conservative" perspective you are inherently being political just by accepting one narrative or the other.  I suppose it is technically possible to try to word everything in a completely neutral way but that is likely asking too much of everyone.  

BTW, this is something that started happening about a decade ago in policy debate that has at times made me want to get out of it.  It used to be the "inherency" or status quo of a policy topic was accepted and the debate revolved around claims made regarding the efficacy of a policy decision on that topic.  But about 15 years ago or so it started to become en vogue to run "Framework Critiques" basically attacking the whole perception of reality around the topic to try to frame the whole debate in a way that advantages you.  Instead of accepting the facts this strategy was the try to throw out any facts that impede your argument and create an alternate reality that skews the round to your advantage.  And its damn effective because the other team cannot possibly prepare because there are infinite "realities" you could try to manipulate the status quo into.  There is no way to predict what nonsense I might try to concoct and since in policy debate "silence is consent" if you don't have an adequate retort they can win even with utter ridiculous nonsense.   Policy debate has become 80% that now, because its way easier to prep that and puts the other team at a disadvantage, than it is to actually research all the facts on BOTH sides and come prepared for switch side policy debate.  And worse...since judges today are mostly debaters from 10 years ago...its become totally accepted with very few judges taking points off for crazy stupid arguments that lack logical consistency because they were running that crap 10 years ago themselves.  And before anyone thinks I am saying it is "crazy" because its conservative...trust me 90% of these plans are extreme liberal manipulations of reality.   Keep in mind these are usually social activist high school students...you don't tend to get a lot of extremely conservative policy debaters at that level.   But I see the same disturbing trend I noted years ago in debate bleeding into society now.  Don't argue against facts you dont like...just throw them out and create a different narrative.  Destroy objective reality and then you don't have to bother arguing against anything that is inconvenient to your claims.  

We need a lot less Covid talk and a lot more of Mrs. J's baking pictures and recipes. I'm stuck home with plenty of flour, let's get it on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

COVID thread is locked.  

What I think is appropriate for this thread is LOCAL-related questions/comments regarding the pandemic and associated reopening, etc.  Examples such as:

1.  Does <business> have curbside pickup?

2.  What is <counties> doing for school next fall?

3.  Can I get tested <here>?

4.  Is this <location> open and what restrictions does it have?

Policy discussion, case analysis, armchair epidemiology is not allowed.  

Can we please talk about the fact that the Ravens have the easiest strength of schedule along with the best team they have ever had. If they cancel the season i will go so postal it will make the Covid thread seem mild. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

Can we please talk about the fact that the Ravens have the easiest strength of schedule along with the best team they have ever had. If they cancel the season i will go so postal it will make the Covid thread seem mild. 

Ha. I think NFL will figure something out. They have time.

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Ha. I think NFL will figure something out. They have time.

I think they will be playing games on schedule.  It may be without fans at first, but by late summer I’m sure the league can get testing in place to ensure the safety of the players.  

34 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

there is no “both sides” here. the scientific facts are the facts. they aren’t a liberal media narrative:  they are the facts. everything else is disinformation which has no place on a board that is supposed to be rooted in science.

Sure - but a lot of facts are intentionally buried because they don't meet the narrative (on both sides), which IMO is irresponsible in todays society that unfortunately gets their news from solely reading headlines.

34 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

We need a lot less Covid talk and a lot more of Mrs. J's baking pictures and recipes. I'm stuck home with plenty of flour, let's get it on. 

And beer/booze talk.

This is why I suggested the separate COVID thread to begin with. Keep that shit outa here.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

Dude- the best running attack in the history of football is now better. AND they have some legit weapons outside in the passing game.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic