• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Discobs 2020

George BM

The fairly large area of heavy rain/storms that developed early this morning was totally unexpected, by me, and forecasters apparently.

Some of the mesos hinted at it, but not until late. The 6z 3k NAM showed a well defined vorticity spoke developing and rotating through on the SE side of the upper low as it approached the bay. This likely initiated the strong lift, and we already had a pretty juicy, somewhat unstable air mass in place.

• Like 1

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

Yeah, woke up to the sound of the rain at 3:30 am and had a wtf moment.

nice bonus rain for the folks on the east side of the bay for certain. 

This event way over-performed in this area. Most guidance 48 hours ago suggested around a half to as much as three quarters of an inch through today. Some NAM runs had a quarter inch or less.

My forecast for overnight into this AM was 40% chance of showers, a tenth of an inch or less.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Over performed on temps today.  Grids had 78 for Reisterstown and I'm sitting at 82.  Farmers are really behind though with cold soil, so we need this warm weather. Corn, squash, pumpkins and melons aren't even planted yet.

I've been noticing that also. My potato crop is doing fantastic this year due to light frosts and cool temps. The cold only caused a tiny bit of leaf damage but killed off any pest like potato beetles, mites ect that give me issues normally. I've got twelve, 45' rows this year. My first round of sweet corn has been up for about a week. The day i planted the seed was only 50 degrees. That was a first. I'm planting second batch tomorrow. It's been a slow start for tomatoes, cucumbers, squash ect. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

Man these no-see-ums are going crazy in my backyard.

Other than horse flies, the only flying/biting insects I have are mosquitoes, and after 3 rounds of larvicide of my seasonal wetland over the past 2 months, I have not seen even one. Left untreated, I would have an unbearable swarm by now.

Plenty of chiggers around if you venture into the 'wrong' area. The itch from their bites are the worst, and can last a month.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Cloud deck lowering here . Almost looks like rain coming .

Spitting here:raining:

That line of showers that rotated down from the NE weakened as it approached here, but still picked up a few hundredths.

My official total for the entire event is 1.80".

1 minute ago, BlizzardNole said:

I have a couple more trays of flowers and one shrub to plant, and today's weather will be perfect for it.

Maybe some thunderstorms late next week?  Friday looks juicy.

Yeah temps and humidity will be on the increase as the week progresses, and looks like a cold frontal passage in the Friday/ Saturday time frame.

3 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

I have a couple more trays of flowers and one shrub to plant, and today's weather will be perfect for it.

Maybe some thunderstorms late in the week?  Friday looks juicy.

Yup. Perfect weather today to get everything buttoned up in the garden before the heat kicks in. I'll be doing a solid day of garden work today. Enjoy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Yup. Perfect weather today to get everything buttoned up in the garden before the heat kicks in. I'll be doing a solid day of garden work today. Enjoy

I really need to get the grass mowed, so hopefully it dries out enough so I can do it later today. Much rather do it on a day like today.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

55 here, headed for mid 60s.

Back to cloudy and cool and a NE flow with the backdoor cold front that moved in overnight. Just for a day though, then the legit warming commences.

Does it? Maybe I have a different definition of legit warming - the next ten days look pretty awesome here - highs in upper 70s to lower 80s. 

28 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Does it? Maybe I have a different definition of legit warming - the next ten days look pretty awesome here - highs in upper 70s to lower 80s. 

Yeah I am not talking a heatwave, just typical warmth relative to what we have had for weeks on end. Having 5-6 consecutive days in the 70s/80s does represent a legit change (warming) over the perpetual 60s we have seen, imo. It will also be noticeably humid beginning around midweek.

The advertised h5 pattern going forward into early June actually looks great for us- "normal" warmth. No prolonged above normal temps in sight.

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GEFS has us in a northwest flow regime from mid week all the way through 384. That should be some ideal early June weather.

That is an ideal look to keep the perpetual 90 and humid days at bay. Pretty impressive looking PNA ridge. I will take that look all summer.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic