Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Discobs 2020

George BM

59 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Not May, but back in April of 1985 (in Calvert County) I saw snow squalls with grass whitening one day, and temps in the low 90s five days later.

I saw it go the other way in March 1990. There were three days of temps in the upper 80’s followed by a dump of wet snow a couple of days later.  I was in Rockville and the snow accumulated on grass, trees and car tops during the day.

37 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I remember something very similar to your account in late March or early April but I was sure it was 94' or 95'

I don’t recall anything from those years, though I know we had a snowfall in 1994 around the 18th of March and then Spring finally arrived with 80° temperatures a few days later.

Here is March 1990 at BWI with the very early heat wave from 3/12-16 followed by accumulating snow on the 20th, 24th and 25th.

BD8EDE0F-5B5F-4C27-AE61-BB4B3DD2897B.thumb.jpeg.b0439a2b60fa1fee08bb867233286681.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I remember something very similar to your account in late March or early April but I was sure it was 94' or 95'

Early april 1990. I think it was actually April 3rd. Rain started mixing with snow late in the afternoon then flipped to all Snow. It was moderate to heavy at times. Snowed until the early morning hours. 2-3 inches total in Owings Mills. Pretty legitimate event for so late in the season and it was well forecasted.

7 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

Maybe some flurries here from this system? In May of all months lol.

Not happening. Even in winter the cold chasing rain deal rarely works lol.

Given its May, realistically any snow will be limited to the far western highlands, with maybe a few splatty flakes mixed in at the tail end in the far far western burbs of the metros.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Besides the possible period of wet snow here looks like most likely 2 strait  mornings with freezing temperatures maybe even a hard freeze. Euro and nam have highs 42-44 up here Saturday.  Probably record low max territory if accurate. 

Cape will have to cover his plants for the 17th time :lol:

Eh those are perfectly normal temps for the 9th.

Looks like IAD got down to at least 39F this morning.

Wait... it's May?.... and not February?! Nevermind. Your statement stands.

There's actually a nonzero chance that you may see sprinkles/flurries up your way during the day Saturday. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Besides the possible period of wet snow here looks like most likely 2 strait  mornings with freezing temperatures maybe even a hard freeze. Euro and nam have highs 42-44 up here Saturday.  Probably record low max territory if accurate. 

Cape will have to cover his plants for the 17th time :lol:

32 up your way means 35-38 here, unless we get perfect radiational cooling conditions one of those 2 nights. Not likely Friday night/Sat morning with the wind.

I'm not worried. B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 5:17 PM, ge0 said:

When is the latest DCA has recorded snowfall?

Since record keeping began at DCA (I believe in 1941?) April 13th of 1957 is the latest date for measurable snow there when 0.1" accumulated.

However before then, when snowfall was still actually recorded within DC, April 28th of 1898 saw 0.5" of snow (the latest measurable snow in recorded history).

Now still before that, in the pre-record era, accumulating snow fell from Northern Virginia through the NE corridor on May 4, 1774 with 4 inches falling in Northern VA and even more falling in places northeast. This was recorded in diaries.

However the latest date that DC has ever seen at least a trace of non-measurable snow was on May 10th of 1906.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

HRRR looks like it's been upgraded. I noticed on Wxbell there's a link to it ( HRRR v4) . Goes  out to 48 hours now:o

Here's a link that talks about it...

https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/

Yeah - it's been on the COD website for a bit. But it looks like v4 only runs on the 6 hour cycle runs. It's not hourly yet at least not on the COD website. 

29 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Yeah - it's been on the COD website for a bit. But it looks like v4 only runs on the 6 hour cycle runs. It's not hourly yet at least not on the COD website. 

It's being run every hour in parallel, but COD is only displaying a few cycles.

It's in its final stability test;  if no problems occur in the next 2+ weeks, HRRRv4 will replace HRRRv3 in operations on May 26.    Tons of good information here:

https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/users/meg/rapv5_hrrrv4/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic