Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Discobs 2020

George BM

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

It’s such a bad weather model...it’ll show snow in mid June probably.  

It has happened, albeit I'm referring to the infamous year without summer in 1816, and this ain't 1816.  None the less, snow is snow, no matter when it falls and if we do get anything this weekend, even snow TV, we'll all be jumping for joy.  We need something to release the tension in the COVID and Banter forums.  There's a limit to what yeast, malt, barley and hops can do alone.  

4 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

May 7th 1989 in western VA and WV, from a trace to 2.5 inches reported.

There was a May snowstorm that affected the higher elevations in VA and NC when I was a kid. Would have been around then. But I remember some higher totals very high up, places above 4000 feet in SW VA and NC. I also thought it was later in May, almost Memorial Day but my memory might be off it was a loooong time ago and where I was in NJ it was just a miserable weekend with temps around 50 with rain. 

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There was a May snowstorm that affected the higher elevations in VA and NC when I was a kid. Would have been around then. But I remember some higher totals very high up, places above 4000 feet in SW VA and NC. I also thought it was later in May, almost Memorial Day but my memory might be off it was a loooong time ago and where I was in NJ it was just a miserable weekend with temps around 50 with rain. 

I vaguely remember a late storm down in NC mountains but I'd have to go record searching.

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This one? http://climate.ncsu.edu/climate/winter/event_details?e=618

It wasn’t late in the month but it’s the first one that comes to mind. 30” at Mt. Mitchell. 

I saw a coating of snow in the high elevations of Garrett County in late May in 1975.  The previous day was warm, but thunderstorms and hail moved in late in the afternoon followed by sharply colder temps overnight.  I was in 6th grade, staying in a cabin for what was then referred to as "outdoor school," when we spent a week at a camp.  No heat in the cabins and none of us had prepared for freezing temps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Reality- Canaan sees an inch or 2 of slop. Everywhere else, nada.

Yep, I’m not expecting anything here for accumulation.  I’m sure I’ll see snow but aside for a coating on the car/deck if rates keep up, I’m not banking on the 7” GFS gives me.  Unless I slant stick.

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yep, I’m not expecting anything here for accumulation.  I’m sure I’ll see snow but aside for a coating on the car/deck if rates keep up, I’m not banking on the 7” GFS gives me.  Unless I slant stick.

That would take some hella slant sticking. 

Calling Ravensrule for consultation.

• Haha 3

Who’s interested in joining my gf and me for a trip to Davis and Stumptown Ales for a beer stock up and a hike in the high country of Dolly Sods covered in snow? All social distancing rules will apply.
eta: Saturday

Sounds great. If I wasn’t planning a three day backpack trip there in June I’d go. Pondering a Jeep ride up this weekend. May head to spruce knob area.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic