• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Warm Season Thread 2020

wxeyeNH

Took a ride this afternoon over to A&W in Middlebury. Root beer floats and car hop service. Really just an excuse for an old fashioned Sunday drive. Watched the temp drop to 77 at the top of Roxbury Mt. and down through Granville Gulf. Went over Middlebury Gap past the Snow Bowl and down to Rt.7. It was 91 in Middlebury. Back over the spine through the App Gap, 75 up there. Ran into some heavy downpours in Montpelier and it had rained all the way up to about a half mile from my house. Bone dry at home. At least my wife’s car had the pollen rinsed off. 

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is the cell down near Waterbury as seen from my place, hearing the thunder from it... there's even some mammatus clouds now in the armpit of that thing.

June21_645pm_image.jpg.351db3fcce26acb84047bcae2d275d48.jpg

June21_645pm.jpg.7622cad02bc4a40e2681d34549cca031.jpg

We’ve been touched by the scattered thunderstorms around here each of the past three days, although nothing has been right on us so we’ve only accumulated traces of liquid for those measurement periods.  Even just getting the associated clouds is nice though to help keep the temperatures down a bit.

We definitely appreciate the clouds we get around here though, and the enhancement the orographics can bring in that regard.  As much as living in Montana with the typically drier air was great in that you were basically guaranteed to get down into the 40s and 50s F each night to cool off, you were also much more likely to get those dry days where you get into the 90s F and bake under cloudless skies.  That was for our valley of course, and you can probably get a bit more clouds and cooling if you’re up into the mountains, but it’s definitely a much drier environment overall.  Just as most farms have those huge center pivot irrigators out there that you rarely see around here, you’re typically not going to have a green lawn out there without irrigation.

Precipitation for the month thus far is at 2.72” at our site, which I’m sure is behind average pace for around here, but it’s been more than enough to keep the lawn happy.  It looks like chances for precipitation are increasing over the next few days, and temperatures are expected to come down for the second half of the week:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

952 AM EDT Mon Jun 22 2020

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...As of 348 AM EDT Monday...It continues to look like a nice little pattern change for Wednesday night onwards, with more seasonable temperatures anticipated. Upper level low situated to the north of the Great Lakes will be slow to exit the region. This will keep us in a pattern with more clouds and chances for showers than we have seen recently.

Still only .55" since May 15th. Hoping for rain on Wednesday.  

Nice thunderstorms in N Vermont casting a shadow over NH cool look vis image this evening.  Went up to my view site up the road overlooking Newfound Lake and can see the tops of the anvils in Central NY as the sunsets.  Always neat to see how far you can see with CuB tops.  

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some real heavy rain just south of Waterbury.  Not sure if @J.Spin got into it but radar estimates are 2.5-3.5" in that area.

...FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 945 PM EDT THIS EVENING FOR WEST CENTRAL WASHINGTON AND SOUTHEASTERN CHITTENDEN COUNTIES...

At 744 PM EDT, While rainfall has ended across the warning area, prior radar estimates suggest that around 3 inches of rain fell in the Duxbury area.

Localized flash flooding or high water remain likely over the next hour.

We were actually just on the edge of that and picked up 0.04” of liquid, but with the rain and air associated with that cell, things cooled down really nicely.  The liquid was a bump up from the traces over the past three days, and there’s actually some additional activity off to the west, but we’ll have to see whether or not that affects us here.

22JUN20A.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Meanwhile another 0.0 in the books here. Hopefully we can get something more widespread today and tonight.

Same at my house.  We were walking the bike path in Montpelier when saw a flash of lightning and did an immediate turnaround.  Unfortunately, we were a mile and half away from our car.  Got drenched on the walk back.  Evidence of decent rain right up to about a half mile from the house again.

In Meredith for past two weeks and the much needed rain over past few days didn't fall heavy enough to cause any beach erosion but last nite a band of intense rain and lightning came thru around 1am. The beach is a mess!

On a side note, very much enjoying lake life - working from here but really only going out for groceries. Have noticed the mask wearing is in places pretty lax.

June Totals

Liquid: 4.27”

Total liquid for the month of June here at our site was nearly three inches below the average in our data set, so it’s certainly been on the drier side as data from the surrounding sites would suggest – I see BTV with 1.88” of liquid (50.9% of average), MVL with 2.83” of liquid (71.1% of average), and MPV with 3.47” of liquid (91.3% of average).  The numbers here indicating 60.9% of average certainly fit within that range, but with the localized nature of pop-up events as we get into summer, the sites aren’t necessarily going to run in sync.  We’re seeing what are presumably the benefits of the local orographics for keeping the lawn/vegetation happy – even the 4.27” of liquid we picked up, while well on the low side for here, would be an above average June for those surrounding sites.

Liquid for the 2020 water year is running at 39.03”, and calendar year liquid is at 23.93”, which is right around three inches below average.

Happy 4th NNElanders....

Question.   I happen to look at the Mt Washington webcam and noticed that there is still quite a bit of snow in Tuckerman's Ravine.  I remember as a kid in the 1960's that there was an article in the Boston Globe about the fact that some snow made it all the way through summer up there.  I wonder what the usual "snowout" day is on the mountain?  Anyone have a clue?

Oh,  I noticed that sunset tonight for my region of Central NH is 832pm.  Tomorrow we loose a minute with sunsets.  Sunrises have been getting later for a couple of weeks now.  Still a couple of weeks away from the climatological peak of temperatures.

I have my skis up here in Meredith and have been eyeing the snow but won't make it up. Definitely on the high side for 4th of July. Snow is usually not visible from the wildcat cam by now - definitely not case this year.

12 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Happy 4th NNElanders....

Question.   I happen to look at the Mt Washington webcam and noticed that there is still quite a bit of snow in Tuckerman's Ravine.  I remember as a kid in the 1960's that there was an article in the Boston Globe about the fact that some snow made it all the way through summer up there.  I wonder what the usual "snowout" day is on the mountain?  Anyone have a clue?

Oh,  I noticed that sunset tonight for my region of Central NH is 832pm.  Tomorrow we loose a minute with sunsets.  Sunrises have been getting later for a couple of weeks now.  Still a couple of weeks away from the climatological peak of temperatures.

After MWN got 500"+ in 1968-69, folks were talking about the Tuckerman's glacier. There were estimates that Tucks had about 90' in places.   That my have been the thru-the-summer year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus said:

This is great.  Thank you

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Inbound.  

It is very dark to the NW and all the golf horns just went off.  The Vermont Amateur Championships are going on just on the other side of the little river.

FA055FDF-3779-48BD-8988-C14EE859F372.thumb.jpeg.0ee82cee91a1fbe1ec764920d5e8dabe.jpeg

We’ve had at least a couple rounds of showers today so far here at the house, but nothing that added up to more than a trace.  This round definitely looks more serious though, and we’re already getting a steadier rain even out ahead of those stronger echoes.  I did get a text alert just after 2:00 P.M. that we’re under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch.

Just now, J.Spin said:

We’ve had at least a couple rounds of showers today so far here at the house, but nothing that added up to more than a trace.  This round definitely looks more serious though, and we’re already getting a steadier rain even out ahead of those stronger echoes.  I did get a text alert just after 2:00 P.M. that we’re under a Severe Thunderstorm Watch.

Literally just after I sent that message I got a text that we were put under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning.

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You look to take a good hit.  Pouring here with some decent wind.  

Best wind looks south of I-89... like Duxbury heading for Moretown.

It was a bit gusty for a time, but no power issues.  On the rain side, we had about 0.80” in the gauge when I last checked about 15-20 minutes ago – the rain has been steady but lighter since then.  It looks like we’ve got a bit more to go, but in any event it’s been a nice drink for the lawn – we’d only had about ¾” of rain up to this point on the month, so this will more than double the total.

4 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

It was a bit gusty for a time, but no power issues.  On the rain side, we had about 0.80” in the gauge when I last checked about 15-20 minutes ago – the rain has been steady but lighter since then.  It looks like we’ve got a bit more to go, but in any event it’s been a nice drink for the lawn – we’d only had about ¾” of rain up to this point on the month, so this will more than double the total.

Looks like Richmond/Jonesville got smoked with rain... lots of PWS in there around 2.0”.  Looks like you are getting in on that training “tail” of the storm going down I-89.

I’ve got around 0.4” up here.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like Richmond/Jonesville got smoked with rain... lots of PWS in there around 2.0”.  Looks like you are getting in on that training “tail” of the storm going down I-89.

I’ve got around 0.4” up here.

I saw that interesting look, and it indeed it almost looks like another Winooski Valley sort of thing:

08JUL20A.gif

It’s been a nice steady rain without any runoff issues, so hopefully it soaks in well.

• Like 1