Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

19 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Got an AccuRite Pro something... was sort of hoping for a Davis but they were too pricey.

I have an Accurite and it does a decent job.  My only complaint is that the batteries seem to need replacing 2x per year.  I have my eye on a Davis too, as my Accurite is getting pretty weathered and I would love some expandable bells and whistles.

Yesterday my area was up to about 95 or 96 degrees. KFNL airport had 100 degrees. At sunset, I saw a few nice red colors that reminded me of forest fire smoke. My best guess is that it was smoke from a fire near Grand Junction, which may be new.

My area stayed at about 86 degrees today, a nice relief from the 90's. For some of this afternoon, there was a thick cloud of smoke above us from the Cameron Peak fire. We still had some fairly normal sunshine and blue skies, though. Overall, the Pine Gulch fire near Grand Junction has become a much bigger fire than any of the others in recent years, at over 72000 acres today.

3 hours ago, Chinook said:

Sunset on Friday- the cloud is really the smoke plume from the Cameron Peak fire. My area has had considerable smoke since Friday. Yesterday morning and this morning, I have been able to smell it.

kP4852F.jpg

I have been watching very closely as I live off CO43 NE of Glen Haven. Unfortunately I think this burns until snow. Too much beetle kill and very rugged terrain.  They are going to let it burn on the ESE side and make a stand at Pingree Road near CSU'S mountain campus.  That is uncomfortably close.

On 8/15/2020 at 11:00 AM, Chinook said:

Satellite image from last night-- the clouds that you see in the north/central of Colorado are largely pyrocumulus

We spent the weekend camping underneath the southern one of those plumes- great to get out, but still coughing now that we're home. Sunsets were blood red. Saw a DC-10 tanker headed north toward the Cameron fire this morning. My goodness.

This seems to go along with all those extreme heat warnings I have been seeing on the NWS national map.

DEATH VALLEY, CALIFORNIA RECORDED A HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 130F AT   
3:41 PM PDT ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 16, 2020.  THIS TEMPERATURE WAS   
MEASURED AT FURNACE CREEK NEAR THE VISITORS CENTER USING A NATIONAL   
WEATHER SERVICE OWNED AUTOMATED OBSERVATION SYSTEM. THIS OBSERVED   
HIGH TEMPERATURE IS CONSIDERED PRELIMINARY AND NOT YET OFFICIAL.   

IF VERIFIED, THIS WILL BE THE HOTTEST TEMPERATURE OFFICIALLY   
VERIFIED SINCE JULY OF 1913, ALSO AT DEATH VALLEY.  AS THIS IS AN   
EXTREME TEMPERATURE EVENT, THE RECORDED TEMPERATURE WILL NEED TO   
UNDERGO A FORMAL REVIEW.  A CLIMATE EXTREMES COMMITTEE WILL BE   
FORMED TO VERIFY THE VALIDITY OF THE 130F READING.  

Pine Gulch fire near Grand Junction is (I think) not too close to city developments, thankfully. It is up to 87000 acres, and it will soon be bigger than the max. extent of the High Park Fire, which was near Fort Collins 8 years ago.

Yesterday and today, the air quality has improved a lot here, with only slight haze and no smell of smoke. The smoke clouds seem to be going towards Denver...

Next week is going to suck with the westerly flow.  We will all be likely be eating smoke for dinner along the north front range.  Yesterday the winds up here were light, RH was up a tad, and temps in the 70's along the Cameron Peak fire.  I think this made it much less prolific in terms of smoke generation.

I got 95.5 degrees when I put my thermometer outdoors today, but these mesonet stations got 98-99 in Loveland. Here's the temps from my area. Denver had a record high of 100 degrees. I expect the smoke and bad air quality to come back to me, with so many fires nearby. For right now, the NW flow aloft may take the smoke away from my area, like today.

WXf8Xpa.jpg

Today, I think some smoke came in from California in the upper atmosphere, and my area may have had some (smellable?) smoke from the Cameron Peak fire. My visibility toward the mountains was possibly 10 miles in the evening today, and maybe a little better yesterday. Overall, definitely more noticeable smoke/haze towards the mountains on these days (Thursday/Friday) than the other days. Yesterday, I had brief thunderstorms to my north and south at different times-- saw about 3 lightning bolts.

The weird thing about 1913 is the national pattern in August 2020 is almost opposite to July 1913 - this August has a blotch of cold in the Midwest and a warm West overall. July 1913 is nearly perfect as an opposite. It did finally hit 100 here for less than five minutes the other day - at 5:05 pm, but not at at 5:00 or 5:10 pm.