Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

11 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

this ties the record for latest snow for nyc...

I believe the NWS uses some sort of rule like if LGA/EWR report it they can report a T for NYC otherwise either ASOS has to have SN or UP at NYC.   ASOS isn’t capable of a RASN or SNRA report 

The next 8 days are averaging 55.5degs., or about 6.0degs. BN.

Month to date is  -2.0[57.1].         Should be about -4.3[56.4] by the 17th.

35* here at 6am.!      (Was 44* at Midnight and 36* at 1am)        Still 35* at 8am.       40* by 11:15am.        44* by 1pm.              43* by 10pm.

NEW YORK CENTRAL PARK, NY (   89')                   LAT=40.77N LON= 73.98W   
STA     TMP DP RH  WD WS  G PRS  ALT PCPN     CLOUD LEVELS HGT TYP   VIS  WX
NYC  3am 36 28 72 000  5 20 047 2969                70 BKN  85 OVC    10
     4am 36 24 61 000  6 18 058 2973                        85 OVC    10
     5am 35 21 56 000  6 16 068 2976  TR            LO CLR  HI ???    10
     6am 34 20 56 290 11 20 080 2979                44 SCT  HI ???    10
     7am 34 19 54 290  7 25 088 2981                LO CLR  HI ???    10
     8am 35 18 49 290  8 21 096 2984  TR            46 SCT  HI ???    10
NYC    6 temps: high=  36 at  3am low=  34 at  6am mean=  35.0   precip= TRACE

5 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I believe the NWS uses some sort of rule like if LGA/EWR report it they can report a T for NYC otherwise either ASOS has to have SN or UP at NYC.   ASOS isn’t capable of a RASN or SNRA report 

when noaa switched to ASOS reporting its missed many a trace of snow...they need feet on the ground  but those days are over...there should be a video camera operating so we can go to the video tape as Warner Wolf used to say...

Slowly transitioning out of the severely below normal cool regime this week and back into the 60s / 70s with sunshine.  And longer range beyond  next weekend its either cutoff city or fist shot at 90s as deep trough looks to push into the west coast on Guidance.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SACRUS said:

Slowly transitioning out of the severely below normal cool regime this week and back into the 60s / 70s with sunshine.  And longer range beyond  next weekend its either cutoff city or fist shot at 90s as deep trough looks to push into the west coast on Guidance.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves. 

What would you estimate the odds are of warmer weather?  Cutoff implies bdcf?

2 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

Just give me temps in the 70's for now, we can turn on the oven Memorial Day weekend.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Just give me temps in the 70's for now, we can turn on the oven Memorial Day weekend.

Last weekend's oasis of warmth seemed so long ago.  Agreed on the 70s but Ill take the upper 50s/low 60s  with sun tomorrow and enjoy it :-).  I guess i brought the cooler weather when returning from a winter on the wc easter weekend.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

What would you estimate the odds are of warmer weather?  Cutoff implies bdcf?

Id say at this point its too early but perhaps the tendency is to lean on the cooler/wetter scenario.  I think true sustained warmth and any  heat may be towards Memorial day weekend or early June.

1 minute ago, SACRUS said:

Id say at this point its too early but perhaps the tendency is to lean on the cooler/wetter scenario.  I think true sustained warmth and any  heat may be towards Memorial day weekend or early June.

I will take that too--just no more late march days disguised as May

32 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

Could go either way with the cutoffs. They can certainly sneak up on you and turn nice days into crap.

Still we'll finally be in an overall warm regime by Friday & next weekend with possibly slightly AN temperatures (mid-upper 70s).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Could go either way with the cutoffs. They can certainly sneak up on you and turn nice days into crap.

Still we'll finally be in an overall warm regime by Friday & next weekend with possibly slightly AN temperatures (mid-upper 70s).

It actually looks more typical for May by later next week. We get a warm up followed by a backdoor cold front. 

A137318E-5958-47F3-B87F-2E1D1EC3791A.thumb.png.244b1599188e31b0a60e721bee407207.png

47AFE8C6-2CC6-49D4-8002-46D72DD4C201.thumb.png.78c9ee4f48bab8c57af19d695407ba28.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eduardo said:

For the past few years, it seems like our preferred weather patterns are “fast-forwarded” by a few months, delaying springs and summers on the front end, but extending them on the back end.  What explains it?

Remember we had a white thanksgiving in many areas.  Iirc a couple recent November’s have been cold.

• Like 2