Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Discussion

weatherwiz

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You said people were getting sick?  I don’t here stories of that today. Majority of houses built today have heating and cooling and have to be designed to exchange outside air with the inside air.  No sick house syndrome like the past.

A minority of people live in houses with air exchange. But there are many issues you may not be aware of.

https://www.mostinside.com/negative-effects-air-conditioning-health-need-know/

Here’s a good story about ac for you.    I was a teenager and my dad had a good year so we put in central ac.   The compressor was under my window on the ground at the side of the house.  Now for context....drinking age in neighboring NY State was 18 at the time.  So by 16 we would go into NYC and get by.   One night I came home way toasted.   After getting by my mother who was up late...I got to my room.  Then it hit me that I was going to barf.  So I used the waste basket in my room.   I then dumped it out the window.  Roll ahead about a month for the first hot day that ac was needed.   There’s my mother trying to figure out why the house stinks of vomit....

• Haha 7

Midea now makes a $400 U shaped window ac with an inverter. Its basically a scaled down minisplit for your window but doesn't have heat. You can still open the window with it in. Its 9 times quieter and uses like half the electricity of a regular window unit. In New England with some of the highest electricity rates in the US it will pay for itself pretty quick.

Your standard window unit runs on and off at full speed. The inverter units can regulate their capacity to exactly the load in the room. At low speed it might only be using 100 watts compared to 800+ watts of a regular window unit.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Not true!  We’ve used it in our  prior home.   We live in Brookline..

I see NStar and National Grid are the the utilities for Brookline.  Those are not Municipal Utilities. What Municipal utility does Brookline have?

This has been my Electric supplier for the last 20 years.  They have no partnership with Masssave.  

https://www.tmlp.com/

38 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I see NStar and National Grid are the the utilities for Brookline.  Those are not Municipal Utilities. What Municipal utility does Brookline have?

This has been my Electric supplier for the last 20 years.  They have no partnership with Masssave.  

Have you checked with MuniHELPS?

Do you heat with natural gas?

32 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It’s actually Eversource which used to be NStar.   Taunton must be among the few towns with municipal utilities in MA?

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Here’s a good story about ac for you.    I was a teenager and my dad had a good year so we put in central ac.   The compressor was under my window on the ground at the side of the house.  Now for context....drinking age in neighboring NY State was 18 at the time.  So by 16 we would go into NYC and get by.   One night I came home way toasted.   After getting by my mother who was up late...I got to my room.  Then it hit me that I was going to barf.  So I used the waste basket in my room.   I then dumped it out the window.  Roll ahead about a month for the first hot day that ac was needed.   There’s my mother trying to figure out why the house stinks of vomit....

Ugh lol that's a riot

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Midea now makes a $400 U shaped window ac with an inverter. Its basically a scaled down minisplit for your window but doesn't have heat. You can still open the window with it in. Its 9 times quieter and uses like half the electricity of a regular window unit. In New England with some of the highest electricity rates in the US it will pay for itself pretty quick.

Your standard window unit runs on and off at full speed. The inverter units can regulate their capacity to exactly the load in the room. At low speed it might only be using 100 watts compared to 800+ watts of a regular window unit.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sweet I am going to get one for the grooming room. Thanks

29 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Have you checked with MuniHELPS?

Do you heat with natural gas?

We do not.  The nearest natural gas line is almost a mile away.  Kind of annoyed the developer who built the development did not run the lines into it.  They did have to run sewer though.

I'm not looking for any assistance.  i was just pointing out that Masssave does not partner with municipal gas/lighting companies.  Perhaps TMLP is a rare case that does not and others do.

20 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s actually Eversource which used to be NStar.   Taunton must be among the few towns with municipal utilities in MA?

There are quite a few cities/towns with Municipal Gas and/or Lighting Companies.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massachusetts-municipally-owned-electric-companies