Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Discussion

weatherwiz

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am in at 65, pretty much used to cold water from growing up at the beach. As long as it's not windy the sun is warm enough 

Wind makes it a bit more nippley, Ocean temps are a little bit warmer where you are in July then here.....lol

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Ocean temps are a little bit warmer where you are in July then here.....lol

65 June 71 72 in July 75 August. Being a lifeguard we started Memorial day when some years the water was in the 50s. Nobody but crazy kids swimming anyways but we had to be there, kids dont care. Kids were swimming today at our lake. 

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

65 June 71 72 in July 75 August. Being a lifeguard we started Memorial day when some years the water was in the 50s. Nobody but crazy kids swimming anyways but we had to be there, kids dont care. Kids were swimming today at our lake. 

I remember those younger days when we would polar dip.

• Weenie 1

Just now, dryslot said:

I remember those younger days when we would polar dip.

I remember the worst ice cream headache ever in April 1976 during the 90 degree heatwave I though it was smart to impress the hot lady I was dating by diving into the ocean. Literally shocked my whole body. Remember 76 winter was brutally cold. I was and still am an idiot around women.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Nice night shot phin. 

Yeah not much light pollution in Randolph. Lol. I love seeing the silhouette of the mountains in the background. I’ve always enjoyed doing short star gazing walks at night when I’m up north and seeing the dark silhouette of the mountains just adds to the vibe.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, holy shit.  What a view.

The person who lived here before spared no expense with the view. I can't imagine how much money she spent clearing the side of the hill and positioning the house. The field in front is totally devoid of boulders whereas the woods on the side are strewn with them. Some are the size of cars. I am told she combined a few smaller lots and paid the legal fees to have the house positioned dead center for the view despite what the permit people said. Still not clear why she sold it, maybe it's haunted or on a Native American burial ground. The furniture hasn't started flying around... yet.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The person who lived here before spared no expense with the view. I can't imagine how much money she spent clearing the side of the hill and positioning the house. The field in front is totally devoid of boulders whereas the woods on the side are strewn with them. Some are the size of cars. I am told she combined a few smaller lots and paid the legal fees to have the house positioned dead center for the view despite what the permit people said. Still not clear why she sold it, maybe it's haunted or on a Native American burial ground. The furniture hasn't started flying around... yet.

Got a steal on it. When I think what I can get for my primary in Monmouth county NJ and could pay for that place. What the hell am I doing. 

My brother had rented a house that was built over a native american burial grounds here in Maine and you couldn't make up the stories he told me that happened at night in that house, He had to move out after a few years to keep his sanity.........:(

2 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Got a steal on it. When I think what I can get for my primary in Monmouth county NJ and could pay for that place. What the hell am I doing. 

Yeah, buying a house hundreds of miles away totally sight unseen was nerve-wracking. Luckily I had a local guy up here I trusted to give me the scoop on the property. We ended up in a bidding war and almost lost it. We were outbid by 50k and the same dude offered us 25k cash on top to walk away, but we had the seller locked down by that time. Plus I had the crew here telling me about the snow, and I would have paid any price for that heroin. LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

It’s amazing how cheap you can buy some amazing views and homes if you aren’t right in a resort town up there.

That view would prob cost 2 million bucks in a resort town like wolfboro or ossipee. 

I talked about it a bit in the thread when he was looking for that house, but I’ll def be getting a place up north a few years down the road when my kids are older. I intermittently look at the real estate up there to keep well-versed. Love your place in VT too...different style obviously but it still works. I like the “deep in woods” feel you got going on there with those tall pines around like powderfreak mentioned. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s amazing how cheap you can buy some amazing views and homes if you aren’t right in a resort town up there.

That view would prob cost 2 million bucks in a resort town like wolfboro or ossipee. 

I talked about it a bit in the thread when he was looking for that house, but I’ll def be getting a place up north a few years down the road when my kids are older. I intermittently look at the real estate up there to keep well-versed. Love your place in VT too...different style obviously but it still works. I like the “deep in woods” feel you got going on there with those tall pines around like powderfreak mentioned. 

Tall pines scare me

8 hours ago, dryslot said:

My brother had rented a house that was built over a native american burial grounds here in Maine and you couldn't make up the stories he told me that happened at night in that house, He had to move out after a few years to keep his sanity.........:(

Specifics? Love stories like this they creep me out! 

10 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

You'll prob get amazing Milky Way shots there

One night he'll walk out onto the deck with his wife sipping White Claws and see a bunch of weenies next to the fire pit, star gazing...bottle of Jack next to the Kocin book.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

When do the bugs taper off around these parts usually?

Black flies' biting season lasts 2-3 weeks where I live and probably in Randolph, though when I was in N. Maine it was 4-5 weeks.  Mosquitos rule the shade and evenings until frost and deerflies rule in the sun.  The skeeters are dainty, sipping blood thru a straw, while black flies scrape enough to get some blood to lap up.  Deerfly bites feel as though they've carved off a steak and flown away with it.  I've seen deerflies pacing vehicles going 20 mph, waiting for me to get out.  However, I've found that if one stands still he deerflies lose interest.  Maybe they key on movement, like T-Rex in Jurassic Park.  Some resemblance in the dental equipment as well.

Was surprised to see the "angry hornets" comment, as I grew up in the mid-Atlantic (NNJ) and seemed to find some yellowjackets (the most aggressive of the native social wasps) every summer, usually with some pain involved.  Pretty big mosquitos in the NNJ woods, too, but no blackflies and few deerflies - especially when compared to the many dozen I would attract while working in the St. John/Allagash forests.  Those beasts would be accompanied by flies similar to slightly downsized houseflies - non-biting critters I called sweat-lickers.  Couple hundred insects buzzing around and banging into me as I walked thru the woods, and I couldn't tell which ones were carrying switchblades. The deerflies loved to dive for the whorl in one's hair, and as soon as I smacked one there all his friends come for the funeral, and of course wanted a meal while they were there.

Had 81/35 yesterday and back down to low 40s this morning before another 40+ leap.  That was my 1st 80+ since July 30, as August topped out at only 79 and Sept in the mid 70s.  Went 296 days w/o seeing an 80-degree max.

• Like 1

That is a sick ridge building into the SW...looks like LAS could push 110 come Wednesday. 

Looks like though we're just going into full summer-pattern across the country. Cut-off low across the southern Plains likely leading to some flooding issues but the jet goes into Canada. Despite the warm/humid weather here this week convective chances are meh and severe chances even more meh. Outside of that cut-off stuff in the southern Plains pretty meh across the country in terms of severe...just typical daytime heating driven convection. Guess it's a good thing I'm not going to OK. Think for next year we'll go in April.