Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Discussion

weatherwiz

It's funny how we all have our thing... 

For me, I don't really care about the direct sun 'as much' as I do the temperature.  That's particularly true during the spring when I'd prefer to have on with the warm season, ...yet at times we recess ...  If it's wet while that's happening, forget it!  ugh.  

I'll take a 70 F day with orb disk through elevated haze and thinning OVC, which describes today where I am, and it's really nice.  Other's seem to really want the blue with lazing sun to get there emotionally.  

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

For me, I don't really care about the direct sun 'as much' as I do the temperature.  That's particularly true during the spring when I'd prefer to have on with the warm season, ...yet at times we recess ...  If it's wet while that's happening, forget it!  ugh.  

I'll take a 70 F day with orb disk through elevated haze and thinning OVC, which describes today where I am, and it's really nice.  Other's seem to really want the blue with lazing sun to get there emotionally.  

I need the blue sky. It seems to limit the black flies to only 80% unbearable versus 100% unbearable. Once we get that thin alto or cirrostratus with a little warmth it's like they come out with an even more voracious appetite. Give me skeeters over those other little annoying buggers any day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I need the blue sky. It seems to limit the black flies to only 80% unbearable versus 100% unbearable. Once we get that thin alto or cirrostratus with a little warmth it's like they come out with an even more voracious appetite. Give me skeeters over those other little annoying buggers any day.

Buffalo gnats .. 

we don't seem to get those down here in quite the swarm annoyance that y'all seem to cut the air with up there.  I wonder why ... 

We get regular gnats but ..I haven't really ever noticed being bitten by them so I can only assume our gnats are not the same.  I think gnats and buffalo gnats/black flies must be a different.  But we do gnat more in late spring here than July...  Actually, shortly after I entered my car close to dusk last night there was a skeeter bobbing around trying to get through the glass - we got that and the gin up of 'EEE' to look forward to... That, plus, I was reading that tick borne illness are likely going to be a big problem - though that's not garnering any headline space now, no.

17 minutes ago, radarman said:

Mt. Ascutney might be in the running.  

That’s a good call.  Certainly a candidate for low snowfall for a 3000ft or higher hill. The stand alone hill doesn’t get nearly the orographics as a cluster of peaks or larger ridgeline.  

29 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Me too.  I've always felt the best golf weather is overcast and 70.  Just more comfortable that way

I'm just amazed ... 

I thought that some how ...some inkling of a way, another shoe would fall on this week and maybe this Euro run being right on top of matters might get us more influence from that thing ... but nope.

Every run just gets less and less and now it's hard to discern how that directly affects anyone NE of NYC at all..  Considering where we were five days ago with that - wow.  I mean yeah ...one can say, 'well, it was  a day five outlook' - true... But climo for this region supports this happening NEVER

29 minutes ago, klw said:

Clearing line has reached here, sun's out, big big Spring coming!

What a day.  

57F at the picnic tables.

71/37 for 29% RH in the valley.  

Best hiking weather by far.  Snowpack is starting to go fast.  Lots of water getting released into the Mtn waterways. 

C6CBC8A3-41AA-48C8-ABAE-F7E44CB6EDAC.jpeg.0940d744fac79c9fe992d469af2df2e6.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, radarman said:

Mt. Ascutney might be in the running.  

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That’s a good call.  Certainly a candidate for low snowfall for a 3000 ft or higher hill. The stand alone hill doesn’t get nearly the orographics as a cluster of peaks or larger ridgeline.  

Yes, a great contender.  Mount Ascutney has some impressive vertical relief (2,270’ of clean prominence via Peakbagger), and indeed the 3,130’ peak looks quite imposing when you’re traveling in the immediate valleys around there.  The most recent annual snowfall average I have for Ascutney on my Vermont ski areas page is 175”, which is pretty paltry for a 3,000’+ location in NNE. 

Actually, while I was there I saw a few other annual snowfall numbers from the southern part of the state that would certainly be contenders as well depending on the elevations these numbers are taken from:

Bromley (145″)
Magic Mountain (145″)
Mount Snow (158″)

I'd say looking over the hemispheric metrics we have 20% chance for an above ... perhaps much above normal period of time between the 25th of May and open-ended TBD.  20% pretty dern high for this far out in time -

GEFs tele's came on board and are well matched by those abroad, though typically weakening in their coefficients, however the EPS is simulating a pervasive and very robust geopotential departure that is in concerted agreement ... and has been in wait for many cycles.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'd say looking over the hemispheric metrics we have 20% chance for an above ... perhaps much above normal period of time between the 25th of May and open-ended TBD.  20% pretty dern high for this far out in time -

GEFs tele's came on board and are well matched by those abroad, though typically weakening in their coefficients, however the EPS is simulating a pervasive and very robust geopotential departure that is in concerted agreement ... and has been in wait for many cycles.  

Toooorrcchhh!

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's been mostly clear here since about 2pm. Just awesome with low dews and upper 60s.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486cimageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486c051820sunny.jpg

I mean 68/32 at 6pm without a cloud in the sky here... 26% RH.  Sitting on the deck before dinner listening to birds.  Feels like the warm season has finally arrived for real.  

I know Tip’s mentioned it but exercising or hiking/biking in this is awesome, your sweat seems to evaporate and dry immediately.  

Lastly, looks like someone’s burn pile smoke drifted into MVL as they had a random 5 mile haze observation thrown in this afternoon lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Toooorrcchhh!

Could be ... I mean can't be high confidence from this far out, but, sometimes after a cool 40 days you'll correct things - whether in a couple of passes or in the aggregate. 

Some good stuff.  Can’t believe how nice this week will end up being.  

DIT’s optimism paid off. 

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/... As of 240 PM EDT Monday...Not much to talk about for the remainder of the work week as surface high pressure anchored off the eastern seaboard and an upper ridge over the Northeast combine to provide the North Country with clear/sunny skies, dry conditions and seasonal temperatures. Really interesting to see model consensus of 1000-700mb mean RH values <30% through the period, showing just how dry the atmosphere will be. A slow warming trend is expected each day with highs Wednesday in the upper 60s to lower 70s, warming a couple degrees to low/mid 70s for Thursday and mid/upper 70s on Friday.