Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Discussion

weatherwiz

Ooh... just got to see D9 and 10 ...

Yeah, the euro is as guilty with ridges as it is with troughs in that time range, so ...taken for how little that's worth - that does have a climo corrector look to it speak of the devil. It'll be interesting as that sort of flip has precedence ... Something tells me May doesn't end -12 to -16 some how some way.   

This week's seasonal progression/flip was actually nailed by the Euro at D10 and I've been vigilantly paying attention and it hasn't deviated...now the other guidance is on it...and, the GEFs NAO go positive heading toward next weekend and so pulling the exit latitude of the westerlies up the eastern U.S. isn't a bad fit.  

Heh...call me a dork, but I'm always fascinating by the 'day' the season seems to take it's biggest single leap - you can do this in November too sometimes... neat.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The wind is ripping up here. Went to Agway in Hooksett and I couldn’t even stand looking at their trees outside...must’ve been 40mph gusts there. It took forever to clear out today too. Shit day considering most of it was windy, cloudy, and cold. The late afternoon mid 50s can’t salvage it. 

Today felt worse than yesterday.  At least yesterday was interesting with squalls.  Today has just been cloudy, very windy and 40s for temps.  

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Congrats to all for being a living historical member. You can tell your grandkids about the Cold May day with snow and some epic snow squalls. X was the sounding at ALB

20200510_171747.jpg

I could make an H5 joke, but this is actually quite impressive.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Today felt worse than yesterday.  At least yesterday was interesting with squalls.  Today has just been cloudy, very windy and 40s for temps.  

In terms of sensible weather variation yours up there ( typical for quasi-mountain Met) stands to be most extreme with the changes likely to succeed this week. In fact, Friday's Euro warm punch is deep in the troposphere .. that's 800 mb boundary-pausal look there so you'll be creepin the 60 isotherms pretty high up those slopes should that prevail as is synoptically modeled - if at day 5 usual caveat applies.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

The wind is ripping up here. Went to Agway in Hooksett and I couldn’t even stand looking at their trees outside...must’ve been 40mph gusts there. It took forever to clear out today too. Shit day considering most of it was windy, cloudy, and cold. The late afternoon mid 50s can’t salvage it. 

Blowin’ the COVID away. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

In terms of sensible weather variation yours up there ( typical for quasi-mountain Met) stands to be most extreme with the changes likely to succeed this week. In fact, Friday's Euro warm punch is deep in the troposphere .. that's 800 mb boundary-pausal look there so you'll be creepin the 60 isotherms pretty high up those slopes should that prevail as is synoptically modeled - if at day 5 usual caveat applies.

Yeah and without a lot of vegetation we can get warm fast this time of year.  Would welcome a nice 60s and 70s temperature SW flow type pattern.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah and without a lot of vegetation we can get warm fast this time of year.  Would welcome a nice 60s and 70s temperature SW flow type pattern.

We had a nice stretch to start this month,  we just need to bring that back.  This last week has been an abomination and a kick in the groin to Spring.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Congrats to all for being a living historical member. You can tell your grandkids about the Cold May day with snow and some epic snow squalls. X was the sounding at ALB

20200510_171747.jpg

Grandfather:  .I tell ya, kid......2020 was something.

Kid:  Yeah, they talked about the coronavirus in social studies.

Grandfather:   Coronavirus, shmoronavirus.  Let me tell you about May 9th of that year.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tooorrrcchh!!! Get em up and in windows folks.

F252 hour map.   Locked and loaded.

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One benefit of the “cool” shot has been no black flies while we have walked our dog. Typically they are awful in early May

Our trees are still mostly leafless too.  Weird

It hasn't stopped the ticks......quite a few from my regular walk with the dog in Rutland yesterday.

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When Scooters on board talking heat domes and Jazzy Jeff rhymes, it’s coming 

To be fair, I am concerned about doors. However, the warmth will tickle i think.  Overall pretty good weather for riding around in your Jeep or your benzos...or on your Nissan sitting on Lorenzo’s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Not here.  Once snow ended about 11 AM we had no flurries/squalls, just mid 30s with gusts near 40.  Sunday was no gem, gusts into the 30s and mid 40s temps (normal high is 63) and no sun until late afternoon, but slightly less un-May-like than Saturday.

A week later than today in 2017, we hit 91, only 90s at my transpirationally-cooled site since 2002.  Having little foliage pumping water into the air to offset the mid May sun helped push the temp upward.  Might reach my average max Thursday - 64 by then - and hopes for 70s next week.