Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fishing 2020

PowderBeard

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 7:11 AM, PowderBeard said:

Fall smallmouth pattern is in full swing. Stacking up at the edges of pockets/coves and fattening up on perch. No description available.

Do you typically use bait casters or spinning reels? I've used spinning my whole life but recently purchased a baitcaster.  I like the fact you can use heavier line, cast father, and a more powerful rod I liked.  How heavy of a rod do you suggest? I rarely catch anything over 4 lbs. so I feel I purchased something a bit too heavy, thoughts? Below is what I bought 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lew-s-Xfinity-Speed-Spool-Baitcast-Fishing-Rod-and-Reel-Combo/709627790

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Do you typically use bait casters or spinning reels? I've used spinning my whole life but recently purchased a baitcaster.  I like the fact you can use heavier line, cast father, and a more powerful rod I liked.  How heavy of a rod do you suggest? I rarely catch anything over 4 lbs. so I feel I purchased something a bit too heavy, thoughts? Below is what I bought 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lew-s-Xfinity-Speed-Spool-Baitcast-Fishing-Rod-and-Reel-Combo/709627790

Depends on what I'm fishing:

Drop shot, tubes, small swimbaits, Ned rig, fluke = usually 6/8 lbs flouro leader to braid main on spinning

Jig, grass fishing, spinnerbait, jerkbait, topwaters, blade bait = casting with 12-15 lbs flouro+

Lew's is making some quality stuff, especially rods. Most Quantum pro staff left for Lew's. That looks like a 6'10 MH rod in that combo based on the reviews? It really depends on the tip action, if it was a MH with fast tip it is a good all around rod for everything but treble hooked baits (other than swimbaits with big trebles).  Treble hooked baits require an extra fast so they do not pull a hole in the mouth and fall out. In terms of fish weight, even a 2 pound fish in heavy grass/wood requires a heavy rod to winch them out. What type of cover are you typically fishing?

3 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Depends on what I'm fishing:

Drop shot, tubes, small swimbaits, Ned rig, fluke = usually 6/8 lbs flouro leader to braid main on spinning

Jig, grass fishing, spinnerbait, jerkbait, topwaters, blade bait = casting with 12-15 lbs flouro+

Lew's is making some quality stuff, especially rods. Most Quantum pro staff left for Lew's. That looks like a 6'10 MH rod in that combo based on the reviews? It really depends on the tip action, if it was a MH with fast tip it is a good all around rod for everything but treble hooked baits (other than swimbaits with big trebles).  Treble hooked baits require an extra fast so they do not pull a hole in the mouth and fall out. In terms of fish weight, even a 2 pound fish in heavy grass/wood requires a heavy rod to winch them out. What type of cover are you typically fishing?

Typically it's just weedy bottoms - milfoil, and the like. Fishing on the edges of Lilly pads. I also like to fish log lay downs and often flooded stumps in one of my local ponds. 

I'm also up north quite a bit and fish Newfound and Stinson lake - so fishing a lot of rocks and shoals and things like that for smallies, since there's not much weeds up there. 

It has a fast tip according to the rod. Right now I use almost all medium light action rods w/ 6 or 8 lb test, I like the fact that you can fling worms a mile but the bite feel is not that great and of course the rod bends crazy for the bigger ones. 

Finally found some pike at North Pond (Belgrades) after not seeing one this year.  After 3 hours with just a single yellow perch, was drifting and casting my way back toward the landing when a 20-inch fish nailed the spinner 3 feet from the canoe.  Dropped anchor there and tossed out the spinner a few times, then decided to try the much bigger (1 oz.) faux-Dardevle.  Shortly thereafter got a 25" fish, probably about 4 lb.  Fish stew upcoming. :D

• Like 3

Have a week or so of chilly mornings and the smallmouth get aggressive. If you're fishing and come over one with the boat it will come off the bottom with the shadow of the boat. This was about a 3 lbs smallie. Middle part of the screen is my drop-shot sinking down. Last 3rd of the screen is the fish swimming over to the drop shot and eating it.

120033923_10224363919469832_9038016523572273484_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=FqYNzkPt384AX-kpa-x&_nc_oc=AQlk4LpXCW0-0QvfAmZxTwBPOtxoi2lXuftcaIm5wo2ePb45s7uSna7vPA073Kppgug&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=d652ad3b6bd672455f699c88325eb098&oe=5F988B38

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 4:24 PM, tamarack said:

Finally found some pike at North Pond (Belgrades) after not seeing one this year.  After 3 hours with just a single yellow perch, was drifting and casting my way back toward the landing when a 20-inch fish nailed the spinner 3 feet from the canoe.  Dropped anchor there and tossed out the spinner a few times, then decided to try the much bigger (1 oz.) faux-Dardevle.  Shortly thereafter got a 25" fish, probably about 4 lb.  Fish stew upcoming. :D

Great Pond is loaded with them, some monster four footers too. Should be prime jerkbait time up there for smallies and you'd definitely run into some pike.

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

Great Pond is loaded with them, some monster four footers too. Should be prime jerkbait time up there for smallies and you'd definitely run into some pike.

Maine's record pike was 31+ lb and 47", came thru the ice on North Pond in February thus fat with eggs.  Back along I took a 30"/8 lb pike from Great Pond in March and the day before that Great Pond fattie a retired fisheries biologist caught a 33"/11 lb fish a few yards from where mine had come out.  Years earlier I'd caught one 33" and 8 lb at North Pond in May - post spawn.  3 lb of eggs in that 11 pounder?  No wonder pike populations can skyrocket.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2020 at 1:00 PM, Whineminster said:

@PowderBeardwhat kind of fish finder do you recommend? Tried to buy a garmin but sold out! Looking to spend around $400ish

The Garmin 73 Echomap with Side imaging is what I have. One on the bow and one at the cockpit. If you wont be fishing much until next year I would just wait for it. I grabbed both mine for $449 during the Cabelas Father's Day Sale. The echomap feature is great along with the preloaded maps in 1' intervals. The Striker is a similar price but does not come with/allow for mapping features. I was a Humminbird/Lowrance fan for years but Garmin's tech is on par/better and the price cannot be beat. 

Bass are still chewing. Hit about 10 last Friday between 2-4pm. 42/43* water. Any day we get over 50* they move shallow to get warm. Pulled all of them, including two 3.5 and a 4lbs fish out of <2' of water in brush/wood on the jig. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, wx2fish said:

Stopped by the lake today not expecting to see much yet, but saw several bass up enjoying the sun in less than a foot of water. Caught one about 2 3/4. Certainly off to an early start this year. 

20210325_160850.jpg

I was actually wondering this as I stared out the window yesterday working. Was wondering if fish had moves up yet.