• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fishing 2020

PowderBeard

The bass spawn is definetely behind schedule locally. There were a few smallies on beds today at my local lake, but it's just starting. I've seen them on beds there in late April during warmer springs. I also saw plenty of largemouth cruising up shallow after a couple warmer days. 

9 hours ago, wx2fish said:

The bass spawn is definetely behind schedule locally. There were a few smallies on beds today at my local lake, but it's just starting. I've seen them on beds there in late April during warmer springs. I also saw plenty of largemouth cruising up shallow after a couple warmer days. 

Wow. Quabbin temps are still in the upper 40s, most smaller areas are in the low-mid 50s. Similar to last year around here, first wave of smallies did not start bedding up until the first week of June but beds were present for weeks prior. Cooler mornings just kept pushing them back down.

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

Wow. Quabbin temps are still in the upper 40s, most smaller areas are in the low-mid 50s. Similar to last year around here, first wave of smallies did not start bedding up until the first week of June but beds were present for weeks prior. Cooler mornings just kept pushing them back down.

The lake by my house is small, only about 350 acres, max depth about 60ft. Temp is only mid 50s, but still a few smallmouth moving up.

Simlar to what youve seen at the Quabbin, the bigger lakes Ive fished up in the lakes region winni,newfound, ext seem to average late may through June for the smallmouth spawn

Got out to Mill Pond in Nashua a couple times. Pond isn't very deep and it's infested with milfoil so the grass is already on the surface in spots.  There is a canal system off of it and I found a few fish starting to think about bedding in the canal system.  I say "starting to think" about it as the beds were not well defined.  Got a few nice ones though:

Fish_1.jpg

Fish 2.jpg

Fish_3.jpg

• Like 3

Tough day out there today. Thought we would smoke them as the water is in the upper 50s, clouds, no wind. I went through a whole bag of jig trailers since every hookset would send a 1/4oz or 3/8oz back at my face and a single claw missing. Just wouldn't eat it. Ended up with 8-10 largemouth (nothing over 2 lbs,) on the finesse worm or 3.5" swimbait and about 30 slime darts. 

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Quabbin allowing for boats as of tomorrow, but NOT renting boats.  Which sucks for those of us without a boat.

Yup, and only tow vehicles, trailers, and boats with Mass registration. A lot of guys in NH and CT are not happy. When I can steal a neighbor's for the day I'll let you know. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:59 AM, Chrisrotary12 said:

Got out to Mill Pond in Nashua a couple times. Pond isn't very deep and it's infested with milfoil so the grass is already on the surface in spots.  There is a canal system off of it and I found a few fish starting to think about bedding in the canal system.  I say "starting to think" about it as the beds were not well defined.  Got a few nice ones though:

Fish_1.jpg

Fish 2.jpg

Fish_3.jpg

Couple nice ones. The stretch of the Nashua River behind stellos has surprisingly good fishing too. I've caught a couple in the 5-6lb range in there. 

• Like 1

Quabbin is stupid right now. Maybe 5-10% of smallies are spawning, rest are eating jerkbaits on the edges of windy spawning flats like I've never seen before. Fished 1-4pm Wednesday and had over 40 smallmouth, only a couple under 2 pounds. Biggest went 4-13. 

Fish are all messed up at the Quabbin. Even with last year's cold spring the spawn was in full effect. Past 2 weeks all males on beds, almost all females are still off shore. Yet to see a pair on a bed even though the water is in the mid-60s. Went deep in 25-45' and got all bigger females. Given the bellies, they are either full of eggs or still early pre-spawn. Never seen anything like it. 

Image may contain: 1 person, sky, cloud, ocean, mountain, outdoor, water and nature

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally floated the canoe in North Pond (Belgrade Lakes.)  Lots of small white perch but I was after what's eating fish that size.  Never a bad day on the lake. - saw a fawn bouncing thru the brush next to a shoreline lawn and had a large snapping turtle surface within 5 yards of me, twice.  Water is cloudy with algae so couldn't see the whole animal but its head looked like the 40-pounders I caught in NNJ eons ago.

7 hours ago, wx2fish said:

Bass fishing has been good the past couple weeks. Post spawn, but still alot of fish fairly shallow. Ive managed to boat a couple largemouth over 5lb, biggest was right at 6lb

Seriously. I don't understand why the Quabbin smallies are not deep yet. Holding in 10' grass flats. Should be on schools of bait over 30' by now. Everything is late. Reminds me of 2018, was catching 4+ smallies off docks on Great Pond in Maine in August, only the small fish were deep. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...