• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tuesday, April 21, 2020 Gusty t'storms/small hail potential

weatherwiz

A vigorous piece of s/w energy and associated strong surface cold front moves through New England Tuesday afternoon. Rather cold mid-level temperatures (~-25C at 500mb) will help promote fairly steep mid-level lapse rates (6.5-7 C/KM). The nose of an 80+ knot MLJ streak will punch into the region during the afternoon. Combination of steep mid-level lapse rates, surface temperatures into the 50's and dewpoints into the 40's will yield a very weakly unstable airmass (perhaps 500 J/KG of CAPE). A strengthening low-level jet combined with strong forcing and weak instability may result in a few gusty t'storms with the potential for some small hail. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Looks like the main mode is linear which may scale back hail potential but I’m wondering if we could actually see some large hail? 

I think small hail is in the cards like you said above because nearly every ingredient for hailstone development is there except good CAPE. I don't see any chance of large hail although nothing wrong with wishful thinking I've been there before lol.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

I think small hail is in the cards like you said above because nearly every ingredient for hailstone development is there except good CAPE. I don't see any chance of large hail although nothing wrong with wishful thinking I've been there before lol.

yeah I doubt we see large hail...not enough CAPE and not even sure there is even enough moisture available. Oh well...can always wish :lol: 

17 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Upgraded to slight risk Wiz

image.png.2263d725ecf21ad1675e2c1289ad0fc5.png

I was actually a bit surprised to see the upgrade to slight. I think we'll see some pretty strong wind gusts but not so sure we see defined severe winds...but then again our trees fall at 40 mph winds so. I also think there could be showers ahead of the main action which could hamper the severe threat 

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I was actually a bit surprised to see the upgrade to slight. I think we'll see some pretty strong wind gusts but not so sure we see defined severe winds...but then again our trees fall at 40 mph winds so. I also think there could be showers ahead of the main action which could hamper the severe threat 

I was surprised myself. HRRR is showing the strongest gust potential with a LLJ around 50kts that would presumably mix down to meet severe criteria, but yet it also has the steepest low level lapse rates which the other models aren't as steep.  You can make a case for it.  Although the other models aren't showing as strong of a gust potential, if they get some good low level WAA that could steepen lapse rates enough to mix down some of those stronger winds. We'll see, but not overly optimistic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, It's Always Sunny said:

I was surprised myself. HRRR is showing the strongest gust potential with a LLJ around 50kts that would presumably mix down to meet severe criteria, but yet it also has the steepest low level lapse rates which the other models aren't as steep.  You can make a case for it.  Although the other models aren't showing as strong of a gust potential, if they get some good low level WAA that could steepen lapse rates enough to mix down some of those stronger winds. We'll see, but not overly optimistic.

Agreed on your thoughts. I think it's going to get tough to advect in the steeper llvl lapse rates needed to ultimately yield severe gusts. I did notice that some forecast soundings did exhibit a bit of an inverted V signature but I also noticed potential for an inversion to develop...warm front at the sfc remains south and we get WAA aloft but strengthening llvl jet off the water will probably make some inversion.