• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Severe Weather for 4/19-4/23

Mkay. So, Mister, er, Normandy, that "dumbass", is a professional forecaster, who gets paid to predict the weather. And I have a met degree--and I don't work in the field so I don't even claim it on my profile, because *I* don't feel that my posts warrant that level of "respect" per se. Let's not affront the folks who lend this site anything more than weather-foamer status. Because let's be real--without actual forecasters and mets, this site is a bunch of people fascinated by severe weather parroting what the SPC, and NWS say, or someone who knows what they're discussing, AFTER they've discussed it, as though they are somehow themselves competent. As though we cannot all read SPC and NWS posts or already have them open in another tab.

Let's avoid prognosticating and correlating a long tracking supercell, to the most deadly, prolific, and dangerous tornado...EVER. This is not that. Period. Trying to compare this storm to doomsday, demeans the caliber of our collective intellect on this forum and site. This is a bad storm, producing damage. It is not the tri-state tornado. Many supercells persist across several states, including cycling tornadic ones. This is a textbook supercell persisting in a good environment and creating its own microscale meteorological climate. This happens several times each year. Tomorrow, or late tonight, we will find out exactly where, and how much, damage has been done. I do NOT agree with the idea that this tornado has been down the entire time, and I will take that bet with a willingness to be wrong. There is not a continuous line of damage reports, or debris signatures, and I've noted several cyclings of the circulation including it being cut off a few times as the strong circulation continues to entrain its own cold outflow. 

More generally--it would improve the scientific credulity of this discussion, if we can *all* assume that we are all competent enough to watch RadarScope, SPC, and NWS postings (you know, stuff I'd expect of a HS student), and instead, discuss the more specific and esoteric things...like the environment, soundings, hodographs, downstream forecasting, damage reports etc. Not stuff that we can all get elsewhere. It doesn't show knowledge, it does not impress anyone, it wastes space, and doesn't further my, or anyone else's understanding. 

Rant.end(this). // end rant. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VOLtage said:

Seems like the storm has weakened and the Tornado Warning has been dropped thankfully.

I'm a bit surprised they dropped the warning. While it looks nothing like it did before, it still has a decent couplet and given it's history it can definitely still produce. 

1 minute ago, mob1 said:

I'm a bit surprised they dropped the warning. While it looks nothing like it did before, it still has a decent couplet and given it's history it can definitely still produce. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it produces again, potentially in a big way, but there’s no reason for a warning ATM. 

I wonder if it’s starting to collapse now. Not much rotation anymore. There’s a big spike in reflectivity, which would suggest the opposite, but maybe some of the hail that has been suspended in the updraft is starting to fall out all at the same time as the updraft weakens. Not sure, just speculating.

EDIT: really doesn't look that way now...

2 minutes ago, Moderately Unstable said:

Mkay. So, Mister, er, Normandy, that "dumbass", is a professional forecaster, who gets paid to predict the weather. And I have a met degree--and I don't work in the field so I don't even claim it on my profile, because *I* don't feel that my posts warrant that level of "respect" per se. Let's not affront the folks who lend this site anything more than weather-foamer status. Because let's be real--without actual forecasters and mets, this site is a bunch of people fascinated by severe weather parroting what the SPC, and NWS say, or someone who knows what they're discussing, AFTER they've discussed it, as though they are somehow themselves competent. As though we cannot all read SPC and NWS posts or already have them open in another tab.

Let's avoid prognosticating and correlating a long tracking supercell, to the most deadly, prolific, and dangerous tornado...EVER. This is not that. Period. Trying to compare this storm to doomsday, demeans the caliber of our collective intellect on this forum and site. This is a bad storm, producing damage. It is not the tri-state tornado. Many supercells persist across several states, including cycling tornadic ones. This is a textbook supercell persisting in a good environment and creating its own microscale meteorological climate. This happens several times each year. Tomorrow, or late tonight, we will find out exactly where, and how much, damage has been done. I do NOT agree with the idea that this tornado has been down the entire time, and I will take that bet with a willingness to be wrong. There is not a continuous line of damage reports, or debris signatures, and I've noted several cyclings of the circulation including it being cut off a few times as the strong circulation continues to entrain its own cold outflow. 

More generally--it would improve the scientific credulity of this discussion, if we can *all* assume that we are all competent enough to watch RadarScope, SPC, and NWS postings (you know, stuff I'd expect of a HS student), and instead, discuss the more specific and esoteric things...like the environment, soundings, hodographs, downstream forecasting, damage reports etc. Not stuff that we can all get elsewhere. It doesn't show knowledge, it does not impress anyone, it wastes space, and doesn't further my, or anyone else's understanding. 

Rant.end(this). // end rant. 

I'm so sorry you wasted so much time typing that.  You guys need to lighten up a little.  I know Calderon is not a dumbass.  I know he has insane amounts of knowledge.  I know this was not the tri state tornado.

When y'all get in these events your asses get tight lol.  All love Calderon