• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 15-17 Snow

Hoosier

We have seen what banding can do, and I am inclined to lean a bit in the direction of the heavier models.  I don't know if I would go 15" in Iowa like the NAM, but certainly think a narrow stripe of double digits is well within the realm of possibility out there.  Farther east, I'd go more like 6-8" in the heavy band, perhaps locally higher.

23 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We have seen what banding can do, and I am inclined to lean a bit in the direction of the heavier models.  I don't know if I would go 15" in Iowa like the NAM, but certainly think a narrow stripe of double digits is well within the realm of possibility out there.  Farther east, I'd go more like 6-8" in the heavy band, perhaps locally higher.

I'm more focused on where the band sets up.

10 minutes ago, Baum said:

I'm more focused on where the band sets up.

In my backyard, of course.  :P

Seems like the overall consensus is I-80 or south of there, but we'll see if it trickles north.  Power outages look like a possibility as well.  Good thing leaf out is not farther along (maybe hasn't even happened yet in some areas).

A little walk down memory lane... the storm data entry from April 10-11, 1997.  I remember watching this band to my south only slowly move north.

An early spring snow storm dumped between 4 and 13.5 inches of heavy wet snow over northern portions of Central Illinois. A 30 mile wide band centered along a line from just south of Galesburg to just north of Peoria received from 10 to 13.5 inches of snow. Numerous trees, tree branches, and powerlines collapsed due to the weight of the heavy wet snow. Some caused damage to vehicles and homes. In Normal (McLean County), the fieldhouse at Illinois State University had a 12 foot high by 150 foot section of the northwest wall collapse under the weight of the 4 inch snowfall, causing $500,000 in damage. Also, numerous accidents occurred throughout the area with a few minor injuries reported.

Picked up an additional 0.8” early this afternoon. The overnight snow had already melted, and now this round of snow has too. Some squalls are moving in from the NW and may add a few more tenths of an inch. Past three years have all had interesting winter precip in the middle of April. 

• Like 3

On 4/13/2020 at 9:09 PM, IWXwx said:

You can have it. Nudge it north 150 miles.

Half way there.

After the winter we've had, I'm surprised to see a stripe of heavy snows near the 40th parallel in Missouri/Iowa in mid April, although I guess I shouldn't. I want pics of snow-caked limbs.

24 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

This thing has such shades of April 9-10 2016 which was one of the more memorable snowstorms of my life.  The thing that is stunning about April snow is how convective it is in nature, some of the hardest snow I have ever seen in my life fell during that storm.  

That one had such a crazy cutoff to the north, Toledo had over 7" here less than 1".

Just now, Stebo said:

That one had such a crazy cutoff to the north, Toledo had over 7" here less than 1".

And even then I received 10" in Bowling Green. Basically everywhere along US 6 got buried by that one, and it had quite a few lightning strikes as well.  I believe I saw thundersnow 5 times on my midnight walk during that event