Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
4/13/20 Rain/Wind/Thunder obs/disc

Torch Tiger

36 minutes ago, klw said:

We have two beam heights for E Vt: 

1. Blocked by mountains

and 2.  Not blocked by mountains

Having beam heights allowed me to see why the 2.45 degree scan (#3) is the one that best represents my home precipitation rates and the general eastern slope.  That scan passes the Spine right around 4,300ft and is only blocked by the very summit of Mansfield (which leads to a one pixel miss in Morrisville) but is the first scan that shows me my local area... that beam hits 5,000ft over my house (I'm assuming the height given is height above the radar site level, which is at 300ft asl).

Also shows why the base 0.5 degree scan is useless around here... it hits the Spine at like 1000ft elevation and even gets blocked in the Champlain Valley by the 500-800ft hills just outside BTV in Williston, Jericho, Westford, etc.

The 1.45 degree scan I used to use more, hits at 2,600ft so it does shoot the gaps, but is bocked in some large blocks of the Spine, especially as the shadow of those mountains expands out into eastern Vermont.

It's all sort of what I assumed based on experience, but nice to know it for sure.

Backside cold air advection heading SW through New York at this time.  Mountain has been NW50G70s for wind, higher than the SE portion (that low level jet missed us well south, congrats guys).

It is still incredibly warm up here in the mid/upper 50s at 9:30pm... a bit humid too.  At least your skin can feel it, not a dry air mass. 

April_13_9pm.thumb.jpg.8cfedcae0fcdf102d4079f97e48c830b.jpg

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

There have been a lot of messages from above. Pic of your fence?

I lost two sections. One is leaning, but I set it back. So I basically need 5 posts and a couple of section panels. I think I can save a few panels that fell. The roof needed to be done and I think this storm just enforced that idea. I don’t think water got in, but will look later in the attic. For as strong as the winds got,  nothing fell around the house other than branches. Haven’t gotten out yet though. At least now I can go sneak to my neighbor’s pool. 

4A023AF1-9DA7-4B52-8EC8-B7D3C4BA0946.jpeg

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I lost two sections. One is leaning, but I set it back. So I basically need 5 posts and a couple of section panels. I think I can save a few panels that fell. The roof needed to be done and I think this storm just enforced that idea. I don’t think water got in, but will look later in the attic. For as strong as the winds got,  nothing fell around the house other than branches. Haven’t gotten out yet though. At least now I can go sneak to my neighbor’s pool. 

4A023AF1-9DA7-4B52-8EC8-B7D3C4BA0946.jpeg

Lol. I woke up to smelling smoke, in the neighbors long dirt road a telephone pole was on fire with the top 6 feet on the ground burning.  Found a branch had busted the back light on my truck. What a mess.

20200414_073551.jpg

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ugh

20200414_072952.jpg

I know it is a pain in the ass but when I saw the trees swaying in my back yard yesterday I was sort of hoping one or two would fall onto my shed.  Eveything is insured and that would allow me to replace the shed with a new, better one and replace my snowmobile that is stored in the shed too.  Oh well, no insurance claim filing for me.  I hope you get stuff repaired and back to normal as quickly as possible.

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I know it is a pain in the ass but when I saw the trees swaying in my back yard yesterday I was sort of hoping one or two would fall onto my shed.  Eveything is insured and that would allow me to replace the shed with a new, better one and replace my snowmobile that is stored in the shed too.  Oh well, no insurance claim filing for me.  I hope you get stuff repaired and back to normal as quickly as possible.

I am calling my Insurance company this morning 

17 minutes ago, mreaves said: