Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
4/13/20 Rain/Wind/Thunder obs/disc

Torch Tiger

36 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

What's your best guess as to when the strongest winds make it to the area?  And how strong do you expect them to remain once the main line goes through?

TIA.

Noon and 4:00 PM though for eastern sections through about 6:00 PM.

I think winds subside rather quickly behind the front though they will still remain rather gusty (35-40 mph). 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah usually in winter when these southerly events happen, the coastline is the warmest with a stubborn inversion and CAD over the interior. It is the opposite now.

JFK is literally on the water and I expect them to have the highest gusts in this event, disagree 100 percent with that statement.  Frictional effects from water to land in terms of highest wind speed is a much bigger factor in southerly flow LLJ events (like this one) then any temperature differentials between on the beach and a few miles inland. Currently JFK is 

Wind Speed S 31 G 44 mph
  • Weenie 1

Yeah this one has a lot going for it over the SNE high terrain and even the CT Valley. Areas that downslope on a S wind too. Immediate shore is a wildcard, but those winds will be roaring right off the deck. That's a healthy warm sector too...dews will be pushing 55-60F on the south shore so the cooler waters may not even matter much. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

JFK is literally on the water and I expect them to have the highest gusts in this event, disagree 100 percent with that statement.  Frictional effects from water to land in terms of highest wind speed is a much bigger factor in southerly flow LLJ events (like this one) then any temperature differentials between on the beach and a few miles inland. Currently JFK is 

Wind Speed S 31 G 44 mph

Nothing about his statement is untrue. From his post, I didn't get that he was meh'ing the wind on the S coast.

Highest I've ever seen in my point and click for here

Today
Showers. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 65. Breezy, with a south wind 16 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah this one has a lot going for it over the SNE high terrain and even the CT Valley. Areas that downslope on a S wind too. Immediate shore is a wildcard, but those winds will be roaring right off the deck. That's a healthy warm sector too...dews will be pushing 55-60F on the south shore so the cooler waters may not even matter much. We'll see.

That roaring sound just started in the woods.  With my unlimited south exposure I should have some good gusts.  Just don't want to loose power and cable.

17 hours ago, kdxken said:

Against my better judgement I Prepped a bunch of South leaning trees that I want to fall North.  Don't want to hear "it never mixed down" on Tuesday.

s1.jpg

Ive got a few large pines in the back that lean the wrong way to drop them cleanly.  Interested to see if this technique gives the desired results. 

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nothing about his statement is untrue. From his post, I didn't get that he was meh'ing the wind on the S coast.

Yeah we’re just not going to see a big gradient from coast to inland like usual. He said to kevin you need to be on the beach for this. That is false in this type of setup. 

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

That roaring sound just started in the woods.  With my unlimited south exposure I should have some good gusts.  Just don't want to loose power and cable.

Getting some good gusts in CON too. Glad I'm fairly clear to my south except for a large, albeit healthy and strong, oak.

18 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

Ive got a few large pines in the back that lean the wrong way to drop them cleanly.  Interested to see if this technique gives the desired results. 

Better and safer to simply rope them but I like to save time . Nothing around if things go wrong.