Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Holy Thursday coastal redevelopment observations

MarkO

1 hour ago, MarkO said:

Bought the land 10 years ago when economy was in the shitter and land was real cheap. But even today, you can probably find a similar lot for about $25k. The kit 10 yrs ago cost $57, and about another $40k to finish. Did all the work with help from friends and family. I mean, we did everything from clearing, grubbing, digging, pouring the footings, designing and installing the septic, electric and plumbing. The only parts I hired someone for (other than family, some which I paid) was the foundation, waterline and shingles. Hurricane Irene was coming and I ran out of time. No inspections (other than septic and wood stove) so we started staying in it as soon as it was weathertight. I think it was that Hurricane Irene weekend.

Log cabin kits are pretty easy. I never would have done it myself but my dad said it's like Lincoln Logs, just bigger, and he was right. 

Taxes are high in NH, but it's 90 minutes form Lowell.

Cabin -drone.jpg

57$? I’m confused 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Man , I need a place at elevation.

Thr kanc has over 8” above 2k. 

Drove up by Campton Mountain (Central NH) nada at 900’ left at all , at 1800’ near top of Taylor drive had 5.5” settled w snow squall and 32F

96-99 that was my visual marker for the snow line. Even in October that hill would be covered, I think it's around 2300' but maybe a little higher

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Man , I need a place at elevation.

Thr kanc has over 8” above 2k. 

Drove up by Campton Mountain (Central NH) nada at 900’ left at all , at 1800’ near top of Taylor drive had 5.5” settled w snow squall and 32F

You were in my hood? Should have stopped by :).

This was at 7AM. Taylor drive up on the left, Campton Mountain in the center, and I put a yellow dot where I'm at. I thought about taking the rock skis out. I only had about 1.75". Amazing how much elevation played a role. One of my bud's house only about 100' higher had about twice what I got. 

I almost bought one of the lots on the top of Campton mountain but Mike (nice house up top) wouldn't sell me a lot. He's got the best views in the estates.

Image12.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MarkO said:

You were in my hood? Should have stopped by :).

This was at 7AM. Taylor drive up on the left, Campton Mountain in the center, and I put a yellow dot where I'm at. I thought about taking the rock skis out. I only had about 1.75". Amazing how much elevation played a role. One of my bud's house only about 100' higher had about twice what I got. 

I almost bought one of the lots on the top of Campton mountain but Mike (nice house up top) wouldn't sell me a lot. He's got the best views in the estates.

Image12.jpg

That bastard mike ! lol jk he cost you several inches a year .

just picked a random soot for a drive. No idea you were in area 

just hit a squall heading home ( Manchester got down to 36 and had some huge flakes at 450’

now in Merrimack it’s 43

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That bastard mike ! lol jk he cost you several inches a year .

just picked a random soot for a drive. No idea you were in area 

just hit a squall heading home ( Manchester got down to 36 and had some huge flakes at 450’

now in Merrimack it’s 43

Mike's a good guy and drinks fine Scotch. Yeah, I wish I was higher. The freak Memorial Day snow back around 2013, Taylor drive had about 5". I got about an inch, but nada in the valley.

Good thing you have NH plates. Some people are weird around here.

16 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Mike's a good guy and drinks fine Scotch. Yeah, I wish I was higher. The freak Memorial Day snow back around 2013, Taylor drive had about 5". I got about an inch, but nada in the valley.

Good thing you have NH plates. Some people are weird around here.

Single malt?

51 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Oak Ridge was $56,900 when I bought it in February 2011. I guess the price went up in July that year.

20200410_142610.jpg

Very cool. I just checked out their website.... a lot of smaller cabin designs for a potential vacation home as well. But still with a kitchen type setup and bathroom.

I guess if you can build it yourself the actual home portion wouldn’t cost too much more than what they sell it for.

Obviously you’d need land, septic, a well, plus plumbing and electric on top of that.

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Very cool. I just checked out their website.... a lot of smaller cabin designs for a potential vacation home as well. But still with a kitchen type setup and bathroom.

I guess if you can build it yourself the actual home portion wouldn’t cost too much more than what they sell it for.

Obviously you’d need land, septic, a well, plus plumbing and electric on top of that.

Thanks to no inspections (aside from wood stove and septic) and Craigslist, I saved a shi#load.

Kitchen: $3k, bathroom $1k, septic: $3k, waterline $5k, electric and plumbing about $1k each. Foundation was $10k, but there are a lot of other expenses like machine rentals, floors, stain, window treatments, fasteners, furnace, hot water heater, propane tank, driveway, lawn, etc... Realistically, take the cost of the kit and double it, and you'll still have to drop about $10k for misc help. Oh and because I live in a community https://www.waterville-estates.com/explore/photos-videos, I pay a LOT in taxes and dues, about $10k a year. But it's an awesome community and I think worth every penny. I work form home, so I prettymuch live up here.