Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 12 Severe Event

joshwx2003

17 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Wonder what's taking so long to get final survey on Bassfield EF4. Curious if final width will be greater than 2mi and if they bumped wind speeds up

Wind speeds already increased to at least 178 mph per DAT data, the path width is more interesting at this point since it's in record territory (already has the state record)

30 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I know I'm no survey expert but I really was thinking at least 180-190mph range for this tornado based on radar data and damage 

From what I've heard, JAN is considering going even higher than that, and that is why finalization of the survey is taking forever. Not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination, but it is being considered. I mean seeing stuff like the pic below, I can certainly see why...

BassfieldLikelyEF5.jpg

Notice how SC % was so low, yet we have the 2nd and 3rd strongest EF3s from the outbreak (16 overall) 
Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Wouldn't they actually be considered the next day? If that's the case they were in a 10% hatched.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, DanLarsen34 said:

That is absolutely incredible, to actually pass the 2011 May Outbreak sequence for EF3+ tornadoes.  Wow.

I think at this point a high risk would have more than verified.  Massive outbreak with numerous violent tornadoes.  Glad they kept it at moderate and issued numerous PDS/TorE's for the day.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DanLarsen34 said:

Between the total number of tornadoes, and the total number of strong tornadoes, this was one of the most impressive outbreaks we’ve had in the past 20-30 years.

Esp the single day total might be top 10 since 2000.

• Like 1

So based off of what we know so far:

this event has had the most tornadoes in one continuous tornado outbreak since the 2011 Super Outbreak (>115),

has had the most violent tornadoes since Pilger, NE in 2014 (2 EF4's),

the most EF3+ tornadoes since the 2011 Super Outbreak as stated above (12),

and the most tornadic fatalities since April 27-30, 2014 or March 2-3, 2012 (with between 30 and 37, I'm struggling to get a handle on the exact number).

Then again, I used Wikipedia to get exact numbers on tornadoes in outbreaks since 2011. Someone may correct me if I'm mistaken in this.

Were the two supercells that produced the southern Mississippi tornadoes the only sustained semi-discrete supercells of the entire outbreak? From radar I can't remember seeing any others that produced (maybe I'm missing some), as many of the tornadoes came from the QLCS (and embedded supercells within it).

Edit: Actually looking again I guess overnight Saturday into Sunday there were some in Texas, but other than that I can't see any other noticeable ones apart from over southern MS