• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 12 Severe Event

joshwx2003

I wonder if they can only do the lower bound of DOD10 without a review to determine the actual wind speed. 

More info from a friend: EF4 and above and they typically need to call in a Special team to make the final determination. That would explain the lower bound usage and why it’s being checked again.

4 hours ago, cheese007 said:

Some folks have no self preservation instinct it seems

Very true but those people have the most incredible videos. As long as they understand the risk then that is their choice.

I watched this video this old guy filmed. It was the most amazing video i've ever seen, not sure where it was taken but it shows a tornado come directly over his house. Unfortunately it killed his wife but somehow he was relatively ok.

30 minutes ago, LansingWeather said:

Very true but those people have the most incredible videos. As long as they understand the risk then that is their choice.

I watched this video this old guy filmed. It was the most amazing video i've ever seen, not sure where it was taken but it shows a tornado come directly over his house. Unfortunately it killed his wife but somehow he was relatively ok.

I think your talking about this video. Taken in Fairfield, IL in April 2015. An amazing video but also sobering knowing what happened 

1 hour ago, Snowstorm920 said:

I think your talking about this video. Taken in Fairfield, IL in April 2015. An amazing video but also sobering knowing what happened 

That is insane. He had 2 mins to get ready for this thing and just stood 2nd level of his house to record. What level tornado is that? Had to be violent?

41 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Just came across some of the worst tree damage I think I have ever seen. Supposedly from Bassville. 

EVryhQ6XgAAnkhm.jpg

Compare with Smithville: image0.png

and El Reno '11

image0.png

Holy crap. That first pic. That is some of the most high-end tree damage I have ever seen photographed.

6 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That is insane. He had 2 mins to get ready for this thing and just stood 2nd level of his house to record. What level tornado is that? Had to be violent?

This tornado was rated at the upper bound of EF-4 (200 MPH). It’s debated whether it should have gotten rated as an EF-5. It was definitely capable of producing that level of damage. 

• Thanks 1

Hi all! I've been following this forum for some time and this thread in particular from the start of it. Just decided to sign up. What I can say is this is likely one of the most severe tornado outbreaks I've followed since I got interested in severe weather. It's really sobering to see the devastation and loss of life that's occurred as a result. Thank you all for posting your thoughts and updates before/during/after this event. Regarding the tornadoes themselves, I don't know if I've seen a more prolific nighttime QLCS in the past several years, and those monster tornadoes in Mississippi were a sight to behold on radar and on the ground.

• Like 2