Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 11-13 Snowy/Rainy/Windy Affair

Hoosier

49 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Not just higher ratios, it wrings out the moisture with added lift as well..   Compare precip totals, not just the difference in snow amounts.  There is a bias in the wrf's to boost the upslope component, but I've noticed when most all hi-res agree on an idea, it usually comes close to fruition. I'm expecting 25-30" with the possibility of higher amounts, especially if you look at how the models arrive at the heavy totals, with an enhanced lake band setting up as the storm departs.

I'm not near a town.  I live in the north part of Ishpeming township but have a Big Bay address and PO box.  I consider "my town" to be Negaunee, even tho It's quite a trek because of having to drive around the 11 mile long Dead River Basin. I can ride the sled to Negaunee in half the time it takes driving, by crossing the frozen basin just north of Negaunee.

Awesome. Not to mention, you get much more snow than negaunee.

14 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

33399F43-2D0D-4D1B-A810-32C0E193ECD2.jpeg.afe9de70858fbb54d9fdaefc1381df78.jpeg.733f318a1ca2df5ec1608c14e5b11bc3.jpeg

Thanks. I’m driving and technologically inept. Bad combo. Driving northeast toward MI, I figure if I get back at 2am it was worth seeing a blizzard. 

(I’m staying in central Wisconsin anyone for the time being) 

• Like 1

A couple things didn't go as planned...lol

Storm ended up tracking a little further east and not as strong, snow ratios appear to have been lower than thought overnight, also.... drier air moving into the west already will end the snow sooner this afternoon.

That said, looks like around 18" has fallen, with a liquid of 2.04.  Should at least reach the two foot mark before it's over.

Wind really kicking up now with heavy lake enhanced snow falling.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

A couple things didn't go as planned...lol

Storm ended up tracking a little further east and not as strong, snow ratios appear to have been lower than thought overnight, also.... drier air moving into the west already will end the snow sooner this afternoon.

That said, looks like around 18" has fallen, with a liquid of 2.04.  Should at least reach the two foot mark before it's over.

Wind really kicking up now with heavy lake enhanced snow falling.

Not bad, but that's disappointing considering the potential. I peeked at radar a few times and could tell it was going to be below model guidance.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

Not bad, but that's disappointing considering the potential. I peeked at radar a few times and could tell it was going to be below model guidance.

Yeah, it's mid-April, my heart isn't broken. :lol:

Been snowing very heavy for the past couple hours.  Probably picked up another few inches.

413202.thumb.jpg.1677ad7b3456c5249f9941fb79085aa0.jpg

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Was it just me or was this wind event underwhelming?

Definitely underwhelming, because the storm essentially split into a northern piece and southern piece.  Unfortunately, it's the story of this winter/spring.  The lowest pressure didn't drop much below 985mb in the U.S., whereas many models had it well into the 970s a few days ago.  Even so, it was still a decent snow event on the cold side.  Just imagine if it would have been one cohesive system...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonger said:

Was it just me or was this wind event underwhelming?

We did hit 51 here at DTW

14 minutes ago, Jonger said:

How big a factor was the lack of airplane data gathering?

Storm didn't quite phase until it was already past us, thus the higher than expected pressures.

Yeah the late phase meant the wind and wave event wasn’t as impressive as it could’ve been. The waves still caused damage though, and part of the Little Traverse Wheelway collapsed into Lake Michigan. I was in South Haven and saw significant erosion and dune damage. Obligatory video below. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

Yeah the late phase meant the wind and wave event wasn’t as impressive as it could’ve been. The waves still caused damage though, and part of the Little Traverse Wheelway collapsed into Lake Michigan. I was in South Haven and saw significant erosion and dune damage. Obligatory video below. 

My only response is Wow! No matter how hard man tries to control his environment, Mother Nature occasionally lets you know who's boss.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, IWXwx said:

My only response is Wow! No matter how hard man tries to control his environment, Mother Nature occasionally lets you know who's boss.

Thanks! I plan on trying to create a mini documentary-style video about the impacts from the record high lake levels, as I've already collected so much footage from many events this fall through spring. I plan on getting damage shots and other B-roll clips of the lake during non-extreme wave times coming up.