joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Land Purchase

PhineasC

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Sounds like I’ll be fine either way though. LOL

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, you’ll be laughing at ORH now when we think 80-90” is a good winter. 

How quickly the tables can turn. :lol:

That changes after a few years though. Your first winter or two up here and you feel like it’s endless snow even with a weak winter like this one. But after several normal to above normal ones when a ratter comes along you’re just as bitter as you would have been down south, plus all those weenies you left behind bag on you for complaining about your measley 85”.  

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That changes after a few years though. Your first winter or two up here and you feel like it’s endless snow even with a weak winter like this one. But after several normal to above normal ones when a ratter comes along you’re just as bitter as you would have been down south, plus all those weenies you left behind bag on you for complaining about your measley 85”.  

Oh yeah, the sickness is real. I had access to a place in Oakland, MD but I still wanted more snow. And they can have some great winters with over 100 inches and long cold stretches.

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

View from back deck (this was taken last month).

view.thumb.jpg.866c2a1be8d9dbf6424d2ac351b8cfc4.jpg

Scrolled through the photos for that listing on Zillow a few times. Can't beat it. Pics don't do justice to the scale of the view.

It's funny how these real estate threads always bring out some of us "from away" who still know the beauty of NNE. Friends of ours often ask why we drive so far to Rangeley. Invariably, if they come to visit, they say "OK, now we get it". Nothing like it in the mid-Atlantic.

12 hours ago, greenmtnwx said:

This is my embarrassingly dumpy cabin tucked away in West Wardsboro lol. Doesn't quite cut it versus Phineas. There are deals to be had out there though, it's a wonderful thing to be fortunate enough to have a northern getaway for folks like us on this board.

83928730_10222154820125534_2315960272830857216_n.jpg

TV reception looks a little fuzzy or it may be time to upgrade to a 2 pixel set.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

LOL oops.

Haha, Randolph now makes 2 cases in Coos county.

Congrats on the home! That's a great location if you ski. Wildcat and Bretton woods both with 1/2 hour and arguably two of the best NH mountains if you ask me. Cannon not much farther. What incredible views of the presidentials. You planning on moving full time? If so, you'll have to keep tabs on totals and will be giving Alex and J.Spin competition for top honors. https://wkevin.com/new_england_snow/

On 4/10/2020 at 10:37 PM, PhineasC said:

Oh yeah, the sickness is real. I had access to a place in Oakland, MD but I still wanted more snow. And they can have some great winters with over 100 inches and long cold stretches.

Congrats, The views and snow never get old.

32 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Haha, Randolph now makes 2 cases in Coos county.

Congrats on the home! That's a great location if you ski. Wildcat and Bretton woods both with 1/2 hour and arguably two of the best NH mountains if you ask me. Cannon not much farther. What incredible views of the presidentials. You planning on moving full time? If so, you'll have to keep tabs on totals and will be giving Alex and J.Spin competition for top honors. https://wkevin.com/new_england_snow/

Yeah, we all ski. Kids are just getting into it so should be fun.

We plan to be there as much of the fall and winter as possible. We have a place in southern Delaware at the beaches too so that sucks up most of the summers.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, PhineasC said:

Down here in the tropics we look at ORH the same way. LOL do snow weenies in NH look at properties above the Arctic Circle and dream?

Keweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan north of Houghton on US 41. I follow a Facebook page that regularly posts updates from there and they get tons of snow! They are closing in on 300" for the season near Calumet. With a band of SW to NE oriented hills that can catch some upslope enhancement too, they get crushed with NW flow.

A lot of it is lake effect fluff, but they've had their share of synoptic snows too. And being at the same latitude of the crown of Maine, they have good retention as well. 

The summers are absolutely beautiful up there being surrounded by the frigid waters of Lake Superior. Lots of nice chilly, overcast days with occasional fog and drizzle and none of that HHH crap. My kind of climate!

Obviously, my life is here, so not likely I move anytime soon. Snow is like heroin, you just can't enough of it. 

Until recently had the opportunity to get to Hancock/Houghton 2-3 times per year. Knowing I would not be back, I drove up to Calumet this Fall - only 25 minutes or so north of Houghton. The UP of Michigan is beautiful and Marquette - about 90 east - is a bit of a hidden gem. Calumet is a once prosperous town that has been decline for easily 80 years. It was amazing to drive down the main drag surrounded by 100+ plus year old, once elegant brick buildings that are all now in some form of disrepair. Winters are amazing up there although I avoided them at all cost because airports close for extended periods in the winter due to weather, et cetera. Mount Bohemia ski area at the top of the peninsula was always on my to-do list! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, we all ski. Kids are just getting into it so should be fun.

We plan to be there as much of the fall and winter as possible. We have a place in southern Delaware at the beaches too so that sucks up most of the summers.

What’s real estate go for in southern DE?

13 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Keweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan north of Houghton on US 41. I follow a Facebook page that regularly posts updates from there and they get tons of snow! They are closing in on 300" for the season near Calumet. With a band of SW to NE oriented hills that can catch some upslope enhancement too, they get crushed with NW flow.

A lot of it is lake effect fluff, but they've had their share of synoptic snows too. And being at the same latitude of the crown of Maine, they have good retention as well. 

The summers are absolutely beautiful up there being surrounded by the frigid waters of Lake Superior. Lots of nice chilly, overcast days with occasional fog and drizzle and none of that HHH crap. My kind of climate!

Obviously, my life is here, so not likely I move anytime soon. Snow is like heroin, you just can't enough of it. 

Disturbing. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Some cool sites out there for buying land all over the world .

There are some multi acre lots in Wyoming just east of Jackson that are like 40k for 4 acres . 8600’. Right off a road w power hook up. Set up your log cabin there ...they must see 400”

Sorry, it's Teton Village or nuthin' for me.