Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Land Purchase

PhineasC

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

View from back deck (this was taken last month).

view.thumb.jpg.866c2a1be8d9dbf6424d2ac351b8cfc4.jpg

Sweet.    I only get up that way once or twice a year, usually on my way to Maine.  When my son was little we would take him to Santa's Village and Six Gun City.  It's a beautiful area.

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

1500' or so according to the topo maps. Probably more like 1400' at the bottom of the property. I haven't been there with my GPS yet.

Yeah it looks like the house is around 1500 feet if I’m looking correctly. The top of the property prob closer to like 1580 and the bottom closer to 1400. 

Really sweet location. You aren’t going to be worrying about many snow hole issues there. You’ll prob be amazed at the differences just driving west into Jefferson and north into Berlin. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it looks like the house is around 1500 feet if I’m looking correctly. The top of the property prob closer to like 1580 and the bottom closer to 1400. 

Really sweet location. You aren’t going to be worrying about many snow hole issues there. You’ll prob be amazed at the differences just driving west into Jefferson and north into Berlin. 

Yeah, it's definitely encouraging to see others here all commenting on it being a great spot. Should be way more consistent than Oakland, MD. They can have really terrible winters or great winters, impossible to predict.

Just now, PhineasC said:

Yeah, it's definitely encouraging to see others here all commenting on it being a great spot. Should be way more consistent than Oakland, MD. They can have really terrible winters or great winters, impossible to predict.

The picture you posted was from a relatively poor winter.  This year has been very uneven across NNE.  Not great for pack building and not cold.  

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

The picture you posted was from a relatively poor winter.  This year has been very uneven across NNE.  Not great for pack building and not cold.  

Yeah, that was amazing to me. Winter never even started in MD, even Garrett County was totally hosed. But up there is still a good snowpack in mid-March.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

Yeah the cocorahs station just up the road from him had its worst winter in 2015-2016 at 92 inches. And we know horrific that year was in NNE. Beyond awful. Prob like a once in 30-50 year winter  

Even 2011-2012 had almost 120” there. 

Plenty of winters near and easily exceeding 200” in only an 11 year record. Not very easy to find that at liveable elevations in New England.  

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, that was amazing to me. Winter never even started in MD, even Garrett County was totally hosed. But up there is still a good snowpack in mid-March.

Hell even now there’s almost 2 feet on the ground there after yesterday’s 11”...in a crap winter. 

23 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Congrats Phin. Excellent spot....within 20 minutes to Wildcat, half an hour to Bretton Woods, and 45 min to either Sunday River, Cannon, or Attitash....or Cranmore.

You are now likely the snowiest location for a home on this forum. Prob prob a 175ish average. I think Jspin is in the 160 range. Mitch might be close...maybe 150ish?

How does Alex fit in there?  Looks like Randolph is a town to his NE? 

I had it wrong, I was confusing Randolph at first with Jackson.  I thought he was SE of the mtns, not north of them.... that's a great spot.  Must get some good NW flow snow in there.

23 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Thanks for all the input guys. We just signed a deal for a place in Randolph, NH! We settle end of May so I will be in place for next winter. Looking forward to it.

Congrats, love the views from that area and the drive to Wildcat, Sunday River, or Mt. Washington is not bad at all.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Not going to get into specifics to blow up your spot, but Congratulations man. That is an absolutely beautiful house and property. Enjoy 

Yeah not hard to find that property online...

But holy f*ck that looks sweet.  Well done Phin.  That's the American dream right there.

Yeah that Randolph cocorahs observer blows all of the other observers in the state away on there with total snowfall and depth.

He/she is the 11" new on here.

image.png

They leave some detailed comments as well if you want to go back and peek at certain days for various events over the years.

https://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/ViewDailyPrecipReport.aspx?DailyPrecipReportID=1e03cdc7-967d-4c6d-8d4e-dbcc41abb81a

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

How does Alex fit in there?  Looks like Randolph is a town to his NE? 

I had it wrong, I was confusing Randolph at first with Jackson.  I thought he was SE of the mtns, not north of them.... that's a great spot.  Must get some good NW flow snow in there.

I feel like Alex would be pretty close in snow but maybe a little less? He’s far enough west that he could get some shadow there. I forget what elevation Alex is at. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I feel like Alex would be pretty close in snow but maybe a little less? He’s far enough west that he could get some shadow there. I forget what elevation Alex is at. 

There's pretty much unmitigated flow from the NE to Randolph all the way back from the lakes by Rangeley and the terrain all rises up around Randolph like a half bowl. They must get some really good upslope enhancement in nor'easters.

randolph.png

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's pretty much unmitigated flow from the NE to Randolph all the way back from the lakes by Rangeley and the terrain all rises up around Randolph like a half bowl. They must get some really good upslope enhancement in nor'easters.

randolph.png

Yeah they basically don’t have a downsloping direction there. I guess theoretically due South or southeast  but they are so close to Mt Adams/MWN that the downslope probably doesn’t really hit until up in Berlin.  

And of course, total CAD heaven there...about as good as it gets for retention.

Total weenie spot.