• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Windspeed

I was on my way out but some friends pulled me back. I know…it totally sucks. Not sure why a whole thread needs to go when the OP does. Didn’t realize I started so many threads but I guess the last few years it’s just been me and you starting these things here. 

Maybe an admin can see if they’re archived somewhere?

You essentially started the majority of system threads since the early part of last decade. I really hope there was a backup archive. Otherwise that is beyond unfortunate. Glad to read you are not leaving though.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Prospero said:

That would be nice. Forum archives are a museum for future generations.

future generations are going to fighting AI robots and scrounging for soylent and clean water. I doubt they’ll have time to figure out why everyone was so wrong about iota’s central pressure. 

• Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 6:17 PM, Tezeta said:

future generations are going to fighting AI robots and scrounging for soylent and clean water. I doubt they’ll have time to figure out why everyone was so wrong about iota’s central pressure. 

Good morning T. Unparalleled irony. Humanity becomes its own/only viable food source, without Charlton Heston screaming through the teeming streets. As always …..

On 5/20/2021 at 10:57 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

I reached out to a mod. Hopefully we can fix it. :unsure:

I wonder if the threads were started by someone who was flagged as a spammer which would explain why the threads vanished.   Otherwise they were likely deleted by the original poster and no one saw it in time to restore it and it's gone for good.  Unless an admin can find it somewhere.  

9 hours ago, Rjay said:

I wonder if the threads were started by someone who was flagged as a spammer which would explain why the threads vanished.   Otherwise they were likely deleted by the original poster and no one saw it in time to restore it and it's gone for good.  Unless an admin can find it somewhere.  

It was me. I was leaving the board and wanted my account deleted by an admin. 

Then like a glutton for punishment I came back. Had no idea it’d totally nuke all the threads. Don’t know why you can’t sever the op from a thread.

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Then like a glutton for punishment I came back. Had no idea it’d totally nuke all the threads. Don’t know why you can’t sever the op from a thread.

Probably gone unfortunately... but maybe @Wow may know?  I think he is our resident board technician?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I misread your other post.  Yikes.   

4 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

Any Mod or Admin. Have a resolution for this? Lot’s of history in these deleted threads!

As a seasoned web developer, if there is no backup available they are probably lost forever. Delete can be a terrible thing, believe me I know all to well. Especially when database records are deleted. Databases do not remember.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

That’s really depressing!!!

If there was a backup somewhere from before the account was deleted, it would take a person to export the profile and associated tables, then the posts and the join tables that go with them. The images may still be in a folder somewhere as they shouldn't have been stored in the database.

So a simple restore would be unlikely as it would erase everything added since then. It would require someone to do a lot of specific work to pull it off. That starts to costs a few bucks, and could be expensive.

Doubtful there is a backup from months ago still around.

Yea, very sad. A real tragedy when it happens by accident. "Oooops! OH NO!!"

Over the decades I've done this kind of work, I've have to rebuild tables a few times when a piece of code I was working on did the wrong thing! Luckily I was able to reconstruct everything lost.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Prospero said:

If there was a backup somewhere from before the account was deleted, it would take a person to export the profile and associated tables, then the posts and the join tables that go with them. The images may still be in a folder somewhere as they shouldn't have been stored in the database.

So a simple restore would be unlikely as it would erase everything added since then. It would require someone to do a lot of specific work to pull it off. That starts to costs a few bucks, and could be expensive.

Doubtful there is a backup from months ago still around.

Yea, very sad. A real tragedy when it happens by accident. "Oooops! OH NO!!"

Over the decades I've done this kind of work, I've have to rebuild tables a few times when a piece of code I was working on did the wrong thing! Luckily I was able to reconstruct everything lost.

The original tropical dudes had their history wiped. The neoposters now have had a partial wipe. Such is the way of the world. Nothing last forever, even cold November rain. 

There is the WayBack Machine. I was excited for a moment as they have archived a few captures such as one on November 6, 2020. But it doesn't appear they archived the forums themselves. One can request that they save a URL, but I don't suspect anybody ever did that.

https://web.archive.org/web/20201106200055/https://www.americanwx.com/bb/forum/37-tropical-headquarters/

It was a thrill for a minute, until I tried to click a forum link and see what they captured.

Wayback Machine has saved many a website butt over the years as far as content, but not this time.

image.thumb.png.aaf9ff928dfb850593285a32e0d71d7a.png

I just saved this page and our current dialog on Page 54 into the WayBack Machine:

But only this page. If someone had the time, they could grab every URL from this site and save every pages of forums. And do it regularly. ;)

https://web.archive.org/save

No matter what, our dialog on Page 54 of this forum up to just before this post is saved for as long as the WayBack Machine survives. It has been around since the '90's and I hope it lasts as long as humanity!

https://web.archive.org/web/20210622011341/https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/53254-2020-atlantic-hurricane-season/page/54/

:)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 9:54 PM, cptcatz said:

This post held up well forecasting Laura a month in advance.

I try. I will say this year I think Florida may be smacked pretty hard. I tend to notice that seasons with abnormally cold springs here in Ohio result in disastrous major hurricane landfalls in Florida. 2004 and 2017 come to mind. 

On 7/13/2021 at 2:04 AM, Floydbuster said:

I try. I will say this year I think Florida may be smacked pretty hard. I tend to notice that seasons with abnormally cold springs here in Ohio result in disastrous major hurricane landfalls in Florida. 2004 and 2017 come to mind. 

It is just a matter of time. And most of us are getting complacent when it comes to prep.

Elsa coulda' been worse for sure, but who put up plywood on their windows? We also have canvas that has not been up since Irma.

Will say one piece of plywood on a long tall north facing bathroom window was damaged by a big tree branch with Irma and it saved the window. Whew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prospero said:

It is just a matter of time. And most of us are getting complacent when it comes to prep.

Elsa coulda' been worse for sure, but who put up plywood on their windows? We also have canvas that has not been up since Irma.

Will say one piece of plywood on a long tall north facing bathroom window was damaged by a big tree branch with Irma and it saved the window. Whew.

Yep.  I was supposed to move here to Boca Raton on the day Irma hit.  Luckily I was able to delay the move a week so I missed the storm but saw the damage which was pretty significant but nothing compared to what the models were showing a couple days prior having it move up the east coast instead of the west coast.  Since then, we got nothing in 2018, then had the strongest hurricane on record in the Atlantic basin barreling down at us coming to a screeching halt and turning right before hitting us.  2020, the most active season on record (which the local media made sure we knew), gave us a hurricane warning from Isaias which ended up causing a brisk breeze, and big scary Eta which gave us a good soaking of some moderately flooding rain.  I'm well aware of the balls we're dodging being I love to track hurricanes, but there are so many new people in Florida that have moved down in the past year or two who went through the false alarms of Dorian and 2020 and are not prepared for a real hurricane strike.  Of course the old timers, especially those who have been here since 2004, let alone 1992, know what to do, but it'll be interesting to see complacent the newcomers are when something finally hits us.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Yep.  I was supposed to move here to Boca Raton on the day Irma hit.  Luckily I was able to delay the move a week so I missed the storm but saw the damage which was pretty significant but nothing compared to what the models were showing a couple days prior having it move up the east coast instead of the west coast.  Since then, we got nothing in 2018, then had the strongest hurricane on record in the Atlantic basin barreling down at us coming to a screeching halt and turning right before hitting us.  2020, the most active season on record (which the local media made sure we knew), gave us a hurricane warning from Isaias which ended up causing a brisk breeze, and big scary Eta which gave us a good soaking of some moderately flooding rain.  I'm well aware of the balls we're dodging being I love to track hurricanes, but there are so many new people in Florida that have moved down in the past year or two who went through the false alarms of Dorian and 2020 and are not prepared for a real hurricane strike.  Of course the old timers, especially those who have been here since 2004, let alone 1992, know what to do, but it'll be interesting to see complacent the newcomers are when something finally hits us.

If anyone is due its New England. Nada since Bob in 1991. We are going on 30 years with a return of 20 years for a land falling hurricane. Add all the coastal development and it’ll be a doozy even if it’s a minimal storm. Bob is the storm that got me hooked on weather. I was only 5 and I can still remember it. I followed my dad outside in the peak of the storm. My mom was not happy at all. 

• Like 1