Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Windspeed

11 hours ago, the ghost of leroy said:

i love how they have the civil sirens on as if people need warning they are getting eyewalled

It is 2020 after all you know? All common sense and logic are out the door.

Some poor idiot may decide to walk the dog at 130am. 

It's just a little breezy and  a few sprinkles :wacko2:

15 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Link just shared with me of "live" conditions in the eyewall from Nick Panico (he's not there, himself):

https://www.facebook.com/ProfeciasMundiales/videos/401497981040549/

That's footage from Typhoon Sinlaku hitting Taiwan in 2008, just really zoomed in on a small truck from Earth Uncut TV's YouTube channel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ultimately the WMO makes the final call on TC naming conventions for the N. Atlantic basin, even though the NHC can suggest changes. That said it is time to serious reconsider the use of Greek names and the lack of ability to formally retire them. Zeta, Eta & (probably) Iota would all normally be fairly strong contenders for retirement, with Delta probably being less likely. I know its unlikely the Greek names would be used very othen, but you wouldn't want the (small) chance you have another Hurricane Eta in a Caribbean in a couple of years.

2 hours ago, Calderon said:

That's footage from Typhoon Sinlaku hitting Taiwan in 2008, just really zoomed in on a small truck from Earth Uncut TV's YouTube channel.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I should’ve taken a few minutes to look at the video before sharing it, but I trusted it was real.  Will never understand why people do such dishonest things.  After viewing it, it’s obvious it’s a loop of the same footage being run repeatedly.   That aside, James captured great video on that Typhoon you mentioned.  

11 minutes ago, Prospero said:

I've been saying for a few months that we in the Tampa Bay area won't consider ourselves out of the woods until Thanksgiving. Granted Eta was a visitor and I look forward to some time this week to finish cleaning up.

But maybe the season is over for us.

So in your opinion where is the threat coming from?

13 hours ago, yoda said:

Barring a last second storm... I think we can close the books on this record hurricane season and actually turn out the lights... finally lol

Kappa is the next storm on the list. Looks like there is a good chance for "subtropical storm kappa" out in the open Atlantic. NHC currently has 30% odds through 5 days.  It would be appropriate if we ended the season on Kappa to "cap off" the hurricane season. 

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think last Tuesday's outlook was a wrap on the 2020 season folks!

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Special Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
955 AM EST Tue Dec 1 2020

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. A gale-force, non-tropical low pressure system is centered between 
the Madeira Islands and the Azores.  This system has become less 
organized during the past 24 hours, and environmental conditions are 
expected to become less conducive for development as the system 
moves southwestward during the next day or two.  Although 
subtropical development is now unlikely, this system will continue 
to produce strong winds and locally heavy rains in the Madeira 
Islands and the Azores through Wednesday.  Additional information on 
this system can be found in High Seas Forecasts issued by Meteo 
France. 

This will be the last Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued on 
this system.  Regularly scheduled Tropical Weather Outlooks will 
resume on June 1, 2021, while Special Tropical Weather Outlooks will 
be issued as necessary during the off-season.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent. 
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...10 percent.

High Seas Forecasts issued by Meteo France can be found under WMO 
header FQNT50 LFPW.

Forecaster Beven

Worth pointing out that Central America was hit very hard and we shouldn't forget that. Though Louisiana was certainly beat up this season, the US still has the resources to mitigate and assist our fellow citizens. We shouldn't forget them either. That being said, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua and the SW Caribbean were already struggling. Millions of of people are suffering there economically. Now we have a humanitarian crisis as many localized regions are currently devastated. This was a horrific hurricane season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Windspeed said:

Worth pointing out that Central America was hit very hard and we shouldn't forget that. Though Louisiana was certainly beat up this season, the US still has the resources to mitigate and assist our fellow citizens. We shouldn't forget them either. That being said, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua and the SW Caribbean were already struggling. Millions of of people are suffering there economically. Now we have a humanitarian crisis as many localized regions are currently devastated. This was a horrific hurricane season.

Pretty cool that the season ended with a bang (literally). 

"C" has had five, but all but four were before 1960 counting 45 years of storms ("Cuba" 1924 to Camille 1969).

"I" and "M" are tied with four each within the last 22 years.

Letter "I" had four in 17 years (Isabel in 2003 to Iota in 2020).

"M" has had four in 20 years (Mitch in 1998 to Michael in 2018).

Basically from the 7th to the 14th storms of the are the ones that become Cat 5s in the last couple decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Category_5_Atlantic_hurricanes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How many years has the Atlantic have more ACE then the WPAC? Can't imagine it happens that often.
Not going through the entire modern historical record, but it's not frequent. These are the most recent years that the North Atlantic Basin had higher ACE than the NW Pacific Basin.

Interestingly, the two other hyperactive seasons in the Atlantic, 2004 and 2005, got stomped by the WPAC.
  • Like 2