• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Windspeed

I wonder if the NHC has given any consideration to eliminating the practice of resetting the names to “A” at the start of each year. Instead, if the previous season ended in “G”, the first storm of the next season would start with ‘H”.

This would eliminate the need for the Greek alphabet, and would also spread out the letters most impacted by being retired. I’m pretty sure they’re at the point of making up “I” names at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is already discussions about what happens should a Greek name warrant retirement. Some say just add it to the list as "DELTA 2020" or something but keep the name for future usage. I have another idea. How about create an auxiliary list of names that can be replaced if need be?

I think using colors would be a good idea. Of course without using possibly sensitive ones like black or white or brown. Maybe something like this:

Auburn    
Bronze
Copper
Denim
Emerald
Fuchsia
Gold
Hickory    
Indigo
Jade
Khaki    
Lavender
Maroon
Neon 
Orchid
Pink
Ruby
Saffron
Teal
Violet
Walnut    

I came up with those quickly, and if you ever needed replacement names, here's a second list:

Aqua
Beige
Crimson
Dogwood 
Eggplant
Frost
Green
Hibiscus
Ivory
Julep
Kiwi
Lilac
Mint
Nickel
Orange
Purple
Rust
Slate 
Turquoise
Viridian
Wisteria

Thoughts?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Perhaps a revision can be done in the coming year and they can formulate a better backup plan in the event we run out of names again. Unfortunately it's too late to avoid the issue this year. That being said..

Eggplant?..

Eggplant? emoji533.png

Seriously?

You're fired, Naso!

Thank you, Mr. President. 

FYI, I almost put "eggshell", but then I thought "screw it".

Really need a backup list of names that is used in this case. Some of the later Greek letters sound a lot alike also, Zeta, Eta, Theta, would be rather confusing if those storms were active at the same time. When 2005 happened, people assumed having that many storms would not repeated any time in the near future.

17 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

CAG signal would fit the climo. Starting to see some signals on the guidance. Congrats Miami?  :lol: 

Just the trajectory of that reminds me of Matthew in October 2016 when my house looked like it was in a pond. 

IMO they should stop having a list for every season.  Just release a list and when its near exhaustion release a new one.  Don't start over at A at the end of a season, just pick up where we left off.  It also fixes the issue with all the beginning lettered names being retired at a higher rate than the back end of the alphabet.  We really gain no scientific benefit by limiting a pool of names season to season.

4 hours ago, TradeWinds said:

That little yellow X off FL giving us some squalls today. NWS Melbourne has a special statement for coastal areas of Central FL last night. 4-8" of rain and 35-40 mph gusts. Several buoys had confirmed 40. That was a surprise. 

Just got home after being away this afternoon a few hours. One of the strongest wind days of the season and we've lost count on how many storms have touched us here this year around Tampa Bay. 35 mph gusts at Clam Bayou a few blocks from here on the water.

image.thumb.png.673078e2bbf45d6bccc11db2a21140ad.png

Palm fronds scattered around the yard, few old dead oak branches down, potted plants tipped over, loose items tossed around outside, and I am taking down my wind chimes as they sound like a horror movie soundtrack as opposed to soft tinkling relaxing sounds we are used to...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TradeWinds said:

Land cane 

Any bets this is a TD by sometime tomorrow? Long term it will probably not develop much, maybe not a name. But around here we are never surprised to wake up and check the news to see a TD developed overnight when we were asleep.

Watching the palms sway, oaks dance, feeling a very stiff steady warm breeze, it feels like "something", again.

Then I watched a large swallowtail butterfly that was in the wind effortlessly fly from one hibiscus flower to the next as they were moving to and fro. It must weigh less than a typical bird feather, and had the DNA programming to adjust its wings and work with the wind, not against. Incredible.

image.png.c00bcf7dc9f3cfedbd2cdbd5ba989eb2.png

• Like 4