Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Windspeed

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Gotta clear the deck or have something pop closer to home. Anything meaningful developing in the central or eastern Atlantic right now is recurving IMO. Way too many escape routes.

That’s why I can’t put hope in the African cherry that is supposed to become a threat. Look at all the shit out ahead of it. 

• Weenie 2

31 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Gotta clear the deck or have something pop closer to home. Anything meaningful developing in the central or eastern Atlantic right now is recurving IMO. Way too many escape routes.

this is why have more storms out there will increase the chance of a hit in the future. 

5 minutes ago, Amped said:

12z euro  was the most disappointing run of the seasons it showed 4 tcs all duds and all fish storms. Lets  watch sheared messes dance around the central Atlantic, before inevitably recurving towards Europe. Sounds like lots of fun.

how did the euro do with the past storms ?

20 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

how did the euro do with the past storms ?

Read an article recently that compared models for the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season. Euro was the worst in all lead time categories even less than 72 hrs. Not saying it will not verify but the track record is off this year so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TradeWinds said:

Read an article recently that compared models for the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season. Euro was the worst in all lead time categories even less than 72 hrs. Not saying it will not verify but the track record is off this year so far. 

Can you post a link? I know it's been struggling with TCG but I would find it a bit hard to believe the routinely best track model is now the worst this season. 

2 hours ago, TradeWinds said:

It did struggle with Isasis  and Fay.

25 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

ECMWF ensemble consensus is still the best for tracking, period. Sure, they still miss. But there is a reason we still chew nails awaiting their rums.

What good is it when half the ensembles show a recurve in the middle of the Atlantic and half show a monster storm in the Caribbean heading to Florida?

What good is it when half the ensembles show a recurve in the middle of the Atlantic and half show a monster storm in the Caribbean heading to Florida?

You got something better? That's the rub. Even the best model guidance is sometimes difficult in its usefulness. That's where good old fashioned synoptic-scale forecasting helps. And that can still be off. There's a reason those folks at the NHC are the cream of the crop. Yet they're still not perfect. Neither is the best modeling based on the most powerful super CPU clusters. Hopefully you can just afford some patience and let it play out / unfold.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Can you post a link? I know it's been struggling with TCG but I would find it a bit hard to believe the routinely best track model is now the worst this season. 

I'll have to do a search and find it. It was in one of these threads. I believe the Laura thread or this one. UKMET was leading if I remember. One reason models might be off this year is due to less input resulting from covid.

2 minutes ago, TradeWinds said:

I'll have to do a search and find it. It was in one of these threads. I believe the Laura thread or this one. UKMET was leading if I remember. One reason models might be off this year is due to less input resulting from covid.

UKMET was the best with Laura. I posted the Albany stats in that thread. GFS outperformed ECMWF for Laura, not sure if that's true for the season as a whole though. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

More than track (which has certainly had issues) I think the euro has really struggled with intensity. This current MDR mess aside, I think I’ve seen it miss TC genesis and under forecast intensification. Isaías, Hanna, and Nana all come to mind.

Yep agreed. Weird that it had a bonafide hurricane with Paulette on the 00z run last night near Bermuda but it has since kinda gone back to a middling tropical storm type low.