Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Windspeed

9 hours ago, Windspeed said:

The next AEW exiting the coast already had a large wave breaking sharp axis, but now with deep convection associated with a strong MCS embedded within its inverted surface trough. This is the wave the EPS and ECMWF op runs have been consistently developing the past few days into a formidable TC. I'd say based on appearance, that's looking ever more likely. It will still have some dry air established to its north in pockets across the subtropical Atlantic, but the easterly SAL burst is way out ahead of it and may not be as much a factor. Also, the moisture envelope with this wave is quite large. If TCG occurs in the MDR this weekend into early next week, this would be Isaias. The "I" storms are frequently in the historical record as being Cape Verde or deep MDR systems east of the Antilles, but generally well into September. Here we may very well experience an "I" storm in July of 2020, yet it will not break the mold. As the Euro would have it, our next TC might end up being a powerful long-tracking Cape Verde hurricane. Obviously, not to count chickens before they hatch as even if a very advanced AEW, it's still just a low-embedded wave that could flop and not get named.

Nah, who am I kidding? This thing is a beast...ac46dcb8928163610bcb4460adac0243.gif&key=9ca4fa948084cad64f4dd153a446fffaad07cbc41c6cbc1da1c9fd2e295646c1

That’s the best looking wave coming off Africa at this time of year I can remember. If it were peak season I would expect a long track major. It’s just so early.  

NHC isn't playing around with the large wave / disturbance near the Verdes. Developmental chances already up to 40%. We'll probably have a cherry tomorrow.

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 PM EDT Fri Jul 24 2020

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Tropical 
Storm Gonzalo, located less than 500 miles east of the southern 
Windward Islands.

The National Hurricane Center is also issuing advisories on Tropical 
Storm Hanna, located over the western Gulf of Mexico a little 
more more than 200 miles east of Corpus Christi, Texas.

1. A tropical wave located about 300 miles south-southeast of the Cabo 
Verde Islands continues to produced an area of cloudiness and 
disorganized showers and thunderstorms. The disturbance is expected 
move westward across the tropical Atlantic during the next several 
days, and some gradual development of this system is possible by 
early next week when it reaches the western tropical Atlantic.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...40 percent.

Forecaster Stewart

two_atl_5d0 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, cptcatz said:

I don't mean to get too ahead of ourselves but there's ANOTHER massive wave about to move off of Africa...

What if there’s so many they just keep the moisture at a decent level the whole time... no dryness ever. We’ll just have this road of moisture, paved by the cyclones, for the cyclones.

25 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

What if there’s so many they just keep the moisture at a decent level the whole time... no dryness ever. We’ll just have this road of moisture, paved by the cyclones, for the cyclones.

True... maybe we get saved by some overturning/upwelling though if hurricanes keep going over the same paths of water

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Could you elaborate on that a bit?

Imagine, for example, 5 hurricanes develop off the CV islands... if they all travel over the same path over and over, the water heat content won't be as high as if they all went over water that had not yet been disturbed by prior tropical systems.

Perhaps I am overthinking... but I think that's what would happen

15 minutes ago, yoda said:

Imagine, for example, 5 hurricanes develop off the CV islands... if they all travel over the same path over and over, the water heat content won't be as high as if they all went over water that had not yet been disturbed by prior tropical systems.

Yeah that was talked about a lot during the Irma-Jose-Maria trio in 2017 that all went over the same area in a short amount of time. It's upwelling. 

10 hours ago, yoda said:

10 hours ago, cptcatz said:

Yeah that was talked about a lot during the Irma-Jose-Maria trio in 2017 that all went over the same area in a short amount of time. It's upwelling. 

So the theory is that the water not being as warm would mean the the hurricanes that came later in the "chain" wouldn't be as strong?

23 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Something is festering over the Bahamas, and I do not like it.  That water is bath water.  Shear is decreasing over the system.  Convection has been sustained since DMAX.  There is a circulation at least from 500mb to 850mb and developing further at 925 to 850mb.

Be honest....You love it Jimmy lol...

On 7/17/2020 at 2:20 PM, Floydbuster said:

Don't be surprised if we get a 90 mph hurricane or something by mid-August around the Caribbean/Gulf, then a Cat-1 or 2 fish storm off Africa before the powder keg is lit.

Well, I was too late with the timing. Came sooner than I expected. Now the question becomes...is 92L that fish storm before the match drops in the gasoline?

The current AEW southeast of Cabo Verde has a vigorous and compact mid-level vortex. Though 92L was a larger and perhaps more impressive wave, it struggled maintaining any MCS with its mid level vort and failed to genesis before reaching a more hostile environment in the MDR. This wave on the other hand may do better entering the MDR if it can concentrate convection and close itself off at the surface. It certainly looks decent at the moment.6d596a7f9c2b39df28a1faa30996d194.gif&key=39f00149113565ae94b6b5636d42a6cb6429a8ab972aaf026771b998af4dcc72

• Like 3