Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2020 New England Banter & Random Obs

CapturedNature

19 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I must have a cell tower nearby because my Verizon service is really good. May just try going the hotspot route for a while. Otherwise it’s satellite. Very expensive. 

I wouldn’t do satellite.  From folks I’ve known that have tried that route it doesn’t seem to be as reliable as they make it seem, not as fast as advertised either. 

If you have good 4G cell reception I would utilize that over satellite.

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

40th anniversary of Mt St Helens eruption.  One of my earlier natural disaster memories as a kid.  Seeing the news reports on TV.

39 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A friend of mine was actually camping on a mountain within sight of it and saw it blow (from a huge distance).  I just found this out today

I remember ash falling even here. It was surreal. Volcanos didn’t blow in America, those happen on tropic islands.  

On 5/18/2020 at 4:20 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

40th anniversary of Mt St Helens eruption.  One of my earlier natural disaster memories as a kid.  Seeing the news reports on TV.

I remember it well since I was 22 years old.  The ash cloud crossed the country.  A few days afterwards the sky was very orange.  I lived in Boston and remember that day as the ash cloud crossed

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

Anyone following the dam failures in MI? 

Sounds like some serious neglect on the part of dam owners. Were told repeatedly to increase the capacity of the spillways and never did it/slash tied it up in courts.

I don't know their exact probable max flood threshold, but they are usually a 1/1,000,000 of occurrence in a given year (very conservative for a reason, since the high risk dams can kill people if they give way). They argued that the chances of that happening in the next 5-10 years was 1/5,000,000-10,000,000 (for some reason adding the yearly occurrence together). The true chance of a PMF happening in the next 5-10 years is actually 1 - (the chance that the PMF doesn't occur in 5 or 10 years in a row). They were also cited for not being able to even contain a half PMF. So the true probability is more like 1/50,000 instead. What's a 100-fold error between friends?

32 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Sounds like some serious neglect on the part of dam owners. Were told repeatedly to increase the capacity of the spillways and never did it/slash tied it up in courts.

I don't know their exact probable max flood threshold, but they are usually a 1/1,000,000 of occurrence in a given year (very conservative for a reason, since the high risk dams can kill people if they give way). They argued that the chances of that happening in the next 5-10 years was 1/5,000,000-10,000,000 (for some reason adding the yearly occurrence together). The true chance of a PMF happening in the next 5-10 years is actually 1 - (the chance that the PMF doesn't occur in 5 or 10 years in a row). They were also cited for not being able to even contain a half PMF. So the true probability is more like 1/50,000 instead. What's a 100-fold error between friends?

Lol, nice opportunity to curmudgeonly soapbox.   

Sociopaths... 

period

that's it. 

Sociopathy in humanity is far more pervasive - and hidden- as a social crisis than anyone from the intellectual ranks of social-sciences to regular folks are really aware. Oh, the former carry the brand and PHDs and all that ... but they are all clueless. 

Sociopathy comes in gray form.  There are 'compartmental' sociopaths (CEOs and COPs). Broad-spectrum sociopaths ( Serial killers).  Conditional sociopaths ... (snap/anger/violent personality disorders that are transient - 'wasn't aware of my rage' types).    

All these types of head-spaces are unencumbered by limitations of morality and empathy, and therefore, tend to excel to become leaders. 

Humanity's interesting in that way.. We have a hierarchical social command structure that is instinctual... and, based upon alpha-beta-gamma, but the best suited to alpha roles are the ones that in fact cut ties with empathy and make decisions without moral implications. 

It's kind of a paradox - ...But, no, what is really happening is that they are viruses, mimicking the responsible leaders, who also have to make tough decisions at times - because both types make decisions that are tough, so they seem like the same character.  That's the DNA that gets the virus into the cell... after that?  Mmm, they are motivated for different reasons.  The sociopaths are self-centered, deceptive while doing it... or in/for the special interest group ideology. While the 'responsible leaders' really are thinking about the welfare of all.  

Add in post Industrial Revolution, convenience addling --> thoroughly ( thus ) stupefied civility ... this doesn't provide a very effective detection of assholes, who are thus more able to ascend these to heads of state and corporations because society is too distracted/pacificied in their resource orgasm sniff them out during their ascent.  Well, dams fail because of it all... 

It's always happened, but it just happens more now.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:31 PM, MarkO said:

Hoping to hit up Cannon this weekend. Anyone drive by Franconia notch, or happen to know if there are any top/bottom runs?

see my report in the ski thread.

• Like 1

Just introducing myself to the board.  I have lurked for quite some time and got lured in a bit by coronatalk, but I am a weather enthusiast first and foremost. I've lived in MA all my life.  I grew up navigating the mean streets of Lowell.  My family had a house fire in January 1994 when I was 13.  It was the middle of the night.  My family escaped the house and I ended up with minor frostbite.  I have vivid memories of that cruel (but fascinating) winter.  It is really from that point when I began to follow the weather closely.   I want to thank the regular new england posters who have kept me so informed over the past few years.  Such a knowledgeable group.  Many of the mets share this knowledge and explain in a way that makes it easy for a regular guy like me to understand.  Additionally, what a group of personalities!  I am on a few other boards (mostly sports related) and the posters here truly stand out.  

John, Dracut, MA

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sox17 said:

Just introducing myself to the board.  I have lurked for quite some time and got lured in a bit by coronatalk, but I am a weather enthusiast first and foremost. I've lived in MA all my life.  I grew up navigating the mean streets of Lowell.  My family had a house fire in January 1994 when I was 13.  It was the middle of the night.  My family escaped the house and I ended up with minor frostbite.  I have vivid memories of that cruel (but fascinating) winter.  It is really from that point when I began to follow the weather closely.   I want to thank the regular new england posters who have kept me so informed over the past few years.  Such a knowledgeable group.  Many of the mets share this knowledge and explain in a way that makes it easy for a regular guy like me to understand.  Additionally, what a group of personalities!  I am on a few other boards (mostly sports related) and the posters here truly stand out.  

John, Dracut, MA

Thanks John

Welcome to posting! 

13 minutes ago, sox17 said:

John, Dracut, MA

Hey John welcome to the jungle,  we know why you are. Lol great introduction.  Sorry about that fire,  ugh.

4 hours ago, sox17 said:

John, Dracut, MA

Always good to welcome new members, especially ones offering such a well thought out intro.

Hey, Mainiacs!  How about some folks from the 85% of the state lying north and east of my location?  (Though Pit 2 is slightly east of me.)

On 5/21/2020 at 8:33 AM, sox17 said:

John, Dracut, MA

Nice, Lowell here (part time). I do a lot of work in Dracut. Welcome abord!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone have any suggestions for life insurance for my wife and I? We’d like to have a joint policy.

I never had really even thought of it until a friend of mine mentioned him and his wife just got a policy, seems like a good idea.

Would it be better to buy a joint policy or two individual?

Never heard of a joint life insurance policy.  If it’s cheaper then individual policies and the coverage is good, I wouldn’t see why not to go with it.

On 5/21/2020 at 8:33 AM, sox17 said:

John, Dracut, MA

Lots of weenies in Dracut. So many at my Place of work, live there.