Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2020 New England Banter & Random Obs

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

that's a bummer man, sorry to hear. do you have a web cam or game cam facing your chicken run? might be a good idea so you can watch for predators.

Yeah. We just don’t display it. We don’t have a lot trying to get in...yet. The coop is elevated off the ground 2 1/2ft and we have hawk netting over the run and coop down to the ground. Anything trying to get in risks getting tangled. 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That sucks.... we had chickens for a while growing up. We had a few that just died with no warning at all, unfortunately, I think it just happens sometimes.

Yeah we talked a few times when I was starting out. Seems like roos are more likely to have sudden heart attacks. Makes me wonder if it’s from the layer feed. I assume excess calcium gets deposited into the arteries and calcifies. I probably should’ve used a grower or starter feed high in protein and lower in Ca and just let the hens supplement with oyster shell as needed. He was from a breeder and was a month from being 3 y/o so I suspected he would be fine for awhile. We often joked that he’d be the last one standing. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

This last storm brought to light another possible issue. Either my chimney flashing or a gap between the house and chimney need to be fixed. I had water coming into the basement following the chimney line from the house. Originally I thought it was my new window I had put in, but I caulked the hell out of that. This looks different. Ugh. It's on the N side of the house which takes a beating in storms. Suddenly this has become the moneypit.

Get some of that fix a seal stuff at home depot and spread it all around the Chimney and flashing. That stuff is great. All houses are moneypits

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah we talked a few times when I was starting out. Seems like roos are more likely to have sudden heart attacks. Makes me wonder if it’s from the layer feed. I assume excess calcium gets deposited into the arteries and calcifies. I probably should’ve used a grower or starter feed high in protein and lower in Ca and just let the hens supplement with oyster shell as needed. He was from a breeder and was a month from being 3 y/o so I suspected he would be fine for awhile. We often joked that he’d be the last one standing. 

Yeah I actually recall talking a few times when you were starting. Sounds like you’ve done pretty much everything right though. We lost a few to hawks too and finally put up a pretty elaborate betting system. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I remember that one. Amazing. Didn't even look like paste.

Crazy looking through my photos though of how much green was around on the trees.  Most trees had small leaves at least.... this year absolutely nothing.  Barely getting a red haze of buds on some of the canopy.   Like in that photo look at the trees behind that house, the crowns have some leaves.  But yeah it wasn't paste, all those trees are still standing even with snow on them.

We are still stick season in full this year. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

You know it's cold when  your driveway is steaming. I thought I left the car on. LOL.

Crazy as we had full sun up here and CLR skies this morning.... up to 49F at MVL while you are getting catpaws.

Sun comes out and the temperature immediately corrects to about 50F even with sub-zero 850s.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Crazy as we had full sun up here and CLR skies this morning.... up to 49F at MVL while you are getting catpaws.

Sun comes out and the temperature immediately corrects to about 50F even with sub-zero 850s.

It's been hovering at 40. Ridiculous. Anyways getting back to that event...I remember looking at the traffic cams. I couldn't believe it. IIRC, that was really almost wrap around upslope/deformation? 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's been hovering at 40. Ridiculous. Anyways getting back to that event...I remember looking at the traffic cams. I couldn't believe it. IIRC, that was really almost wrap around upslope/deformation? 

I'll have to look for the storm summary map, but it was a big upper level low that brought widespread snow everywhere and then transitioned to a monster upslope event I think.

@klw was living up in the Northeast Kingdom I think at the time, I remember he had like 14" or something?  Peacham maybe?  Funny how we remember that stuff, ha.  Couldn't tell you anything else about him except I remember how much he got in a snowstorm a decade ago :lol:.  I just seem to remember the set-up went from widespread heavy precipitation across the northern third of NNE as something traversed across, then the backside NW flow really added it up from the Spine back towards BTV.

It had to be a frigid air mass though to get 5.5" at BTV this time of year.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I'll have to look for the storm summary map, but it was a big upper level low that brought widespread snow everywhere and then transitioned to a monster upslope event I think.

@klw was living up in the Northeast Kingdom I think at the time, I remember he had like 14" or something?  Peacham maybe?  Funny how we remember that stuff, ha.  Couldn't tell you anything else about him except I remember how much he got in a snowstorm a decade ago :lol:.  I just seem to remember the set-up went from widespread heavy precipitation across the northern third of NNE as something traversed across, then the backside NW flow really added it up from the Spine back towards BTV.

Sounds about right.  I was in Peacham from 09 to 16 but I was not keeping any sort of log back then.  I always amazed by people remembering specific storms and dates.  I believe that winter we got a 15 inch storm in May but that could have been in 2011.My ability to do that has lessened as an adult.  I don't put a ton of my info on the web so I am not surprised you best remember my obs.  I am excited you are no longer calling me KLM.:P

KLM-Royal-Dutch-Airlines-Logo.png?resize

Edit: I went back through some old photos.  I couldn't find any from the 28th but found a few from the 26th and 27th.  The file info for this one says early am on the 27th:

april 28 2010 003 alt.jpg

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We had a trace and upper 30s RA.  The New Year's retro-bomb that ate winter was still wrecking the wx here.

22 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Get some of that fix a seal stuff at home depot and spread it all around the Chimney and flashing. That stuff is great. All houses are moneypits

Our chimney was pulling away from the house a few years ago.  Fortunately it was only connected to a fireplace that we never planned to use, so we had it removed.  We were able to keep the face of the fireplace and the mantle in the living room so we still have the nice look but no worries about the chimney toppling someday.  Is removal an option for you or does it actually serve a purpose?

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

This guy actually ventured up to my window feeder this morning....no fear

20200429_082852.jpg

Mine wait for me every morning to put the feeders back out. They love the berry blend mix. Beautiful bird although the female is kind of a drab brown. Not her fault though. ;)

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Mine wait for me every morning to put the feeders back out. They love the berry blend mix. Beautiful bird although the female is kind of a drab brown. Not her fault though. ;)

Probably couldn't pick her out from the other 50 brown birds that come along, lol...it has been quite the 24 hrs for bird watching at the house. Had a Pileated Woodpecker, a Spotted Towhee, and now this guy...

20200429_151237.jpg

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nice. We have a pileated around as I hear him daily. My orioles haven’t arrived yet, but based on your photo I should probably consider putting the oranges out.

The orioles never hang around, take some food from the feeders, play around in the flowering pear trees and the apple tree (if it is flowering, which it isn't yet) and move on...

Pileateds hang around our woods too. I don't think I've seen an oriole since we moved into our current house, though I've heard them on occasion. We saw a scarlet tanager though which was pretty cool. We've also had a Great Horned owl nesting here for 2 of the last 3 years.

Sadly, we had to take down our feeders yesterday.  We looked out at the back of yard, and for the first time in our 11 years here there was a rat scurrying around under the feeders.  We went  back ta take a look and saw the burrows along our back fence.  Wondering if they will just leave once the food source is gone, or if we need to take other action.  Thoughts?  Advice?

2 hours ago, HimoorWx said:

Sadly, we had to take down our feeders yesterday.  We looked out at the back of yard, and for the first time in our 11 years here there was a rat scurrying around under the feeders.  We went  back ta take a look and saw the burrows along our back fence.  Wondering if they will just leave once the food source is gone, or if we need to take other action.  Thoughts?  Advice?

Are they getting up to the feeders or bottom feeding?

Just had this problem. I had two rats(at least) living under two different feeders. Never had a problem before. Anyway I just took the feeders away and eventually the rats left. I haven’t seen them or evidence of them in weeks. So start with removing the feeders and see where that gets you.

#NovaScotiaStrong

Just had this problem. I had two rats(at least) living under two different feeders. Never had a problem before. Anyway I just took the feeders away and eventually the rats left. I haven’t seen them or evidence of them in weeks. So start with removing the feeders and see where that gets you.

#NovaScotiaStrong
Thanks. The feeders were gone within an hour of the first sighting. Judging by the burrows, the rats had been here for a little while. Sad watching all the birds today looking for their food.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk