Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2020 New England Banter & Random Obs

CapturedNature

Signs of spring this week, other than the usual cold rain:
--Wednesday morning - turkey gobbling just out of sight in the field across from the house.
--Thursday (and especially this morning) - Worms on the sidewalk, means the ground has thawed enough that the rain drives the poor critters up for air.

Storm total precip (all RA) was 1.83" at my place thru 7 this morning.  Probably not quite enough to enable the Kennebec to wash the west-shore parking lots in Augusta.

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Signs of spring this week, other than the usual cold rain:
--Wednesday morning - turkey gobbling just out of sight in the field across from the house.
--Thursday (and especially this morning) - Worms on the sidewalk, means the ground has thawed enough that the rain drives the poor critters up for air.

Storm total precip (all RA) was 1.83" at my place thru 7 this morning.  Probably not quite enough to enable the Kennebec to wash the west-shore parking lots in Augusta.

My exit up here (19) has a pond with cattails between the highway and off ramp. Every spring the same (I presume) goose and gander return to mate and raise their young for a month or two. They returned a couple of days ago. Unfortunately the plows pushed quite a bit of trash along the edge of the pond and no one has been out yet to pick it up. The gander would probably chase them off at this point. He likes to angrily come up to cars that are forced to stop 5+ car lengths back at the stop sign.

We had a male and female mallard duck chill in the yard the other day too. Apparently they think our yard is now a pond. :axe:

On 4/3/2020 at 9:19 AM, dendrite said:

My exit up here (19) has a pond with cattails between the highway and off ramp. Every spring the same (I presume) goose and gander return to mate and raise their young for a month or two. They returned a couple of days ago. Unfortunately the plows pushed quite a bit of trash along the edge of the pond and no one has been out yet to pick it up. The gander would probably chase them off at this point. He likes to angrily come up to cars that are forced to stop 5+ car lengths back at the stop sign.

We had a male and female mallard duck chill in the yard the other day too. Apparently they think our yard is now a pond. :axe:

Birds going crazy singing this morning. Our dove pair is back along with the Robin's who nest in the Pines.  Worm castings showing up more and more, forsythia bloomed yesterday. Now let's get some sun

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

@Ginx snewx   @dendrite    Do you guys know where they buried the monthly climo data and hand written climo sheets for the COOP stations on NCDC? Looks like the changed it around. I found a monthly sheet with the data, but missing the hand written stuff. I can't find anything.

I think all of the recent years are digital, but there's this link...

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/coop/coop.html

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Wow what the heck? That is strange. Sorry to hear.

I was raised with having chickens. They sometimes just die. The most important thing is to make sure they don't have anything that would effect the rest of the crew. After one died my dad made us clean the coops thoroughly with a hose and scrub it out. Lol that made me remember the huge rubber boots that never fit me right.  

This last storm brought to light another possible issue. Either my chimney flashing or a gap between the house and chimney need to be fixed. I had water coming into the basement following the chimney line from the house. Originally I thought it was my new window I had put in, but I caulked the hell out of that. This looks different. Ugh. It's on the N side of the house which takes a beating in storms. Suddenly this has become the moneypit.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was raised with having chickens. They sometimes just die. The most important thing is to make sure they don't have anything that would effect the rest of the crew. After one died my dad made us clean the coops thoroughly with a hose and scrub it out. Lol that made me remember the huge rubber boots that never fit me right.  

He showed no signs of anything. I think he just had a heart attack or he got something down his windpipe. He was in o ne of the many holes he loves to dig. He would nestle himself in there and chirp to call one of his girls over. Maybe he swallowed some dirt down the trachea and got a little too excited. No idea. Just sucks. We never wanted a roo, but he certainly grew on us. He didn’t crow much, was a gentleman to his ladies (minus the Weinstein mounting), and was a good watch dog. He was great with me and Lisa too. The flock must go on though although the dynamic will greatly change. 

Just now, dendrite said:

He showed no signs of anything. I think he just had a heart attack or he got something down his windpipe. He was in o ne of the many holes he loves to dig. He would nestle himself in there and chirp to call one of his girls over. Maybe he swallowed some dirt down the trachea and got a little too excited. No idea. Just sucks. We never wanted a roo, but he certainly grew on us. He didn’t crow much, was a gentleman to his ladies (minus the Weinstein mounting), and was a good watch dog. He was great with me and Lisa too. The flock must go on though although the dynamic will greatly change. 

Yea it sucks losing a pet. Having lost a lot being a rescue foster I always fall back on the fact I need to remember we outlive our pets. Doesn't make it anymore devastating but knowing they had a great home and were well provided for during their limited time on earth brings me some solace. Sorry again bro

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

RIP Little Boy. The flock will never be the same. Went out to the run tonight and found him dead. I had just heard him crowing an hour before and he seemed totally healthy. No idea what happened. Shocked is an understatement. :(

3A390108-65D5-4B95-AA06-F14DC42CF1C0.jpeg 866B96F7-9844-45B8-BAAE-68EC2F5E360F.jpeg E208CA71-B240-4981-B6D4-628B14F76718.jpeg 484AF10D-2110-4BA2-ADEE-51C7F330884D.jpeg

that's a bummer man, sorry to hear. do you have a web cam or game cam facing your chicken run? might be a good idea so you can watch for predators.