Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

1 minute ago, wxtrix said:

that’s because all of the government pandemic experts were fired over the last 2 years and the open positions were not filled.

No, it’s because coronavirus is deadlier and more contagious than swine flu.  There are general steps to take in responding to a pandemic, but the precise details depend on many variables, including the nature of the underlying disease.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wxtrix said:

i have no idea who you are and think it’s hilarious.

Yeh I don’t know ya either but you seem to be very opinionated and not very receptive to others thoughts. I do appreciate your comments but I bet you do piss a lot of folks off, yet lack the self awareness to realize how much you suck. All good tho it’s just who you are...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Baltimorewx said:

Give me a break...a decline in cases and deaths, absolutely. +1 cases in the most populous country in the world. No. They are fudging numbers like nothing else 

South Korea had 3 cases.  Thailand only had one case.  Vietnam, New Zealand and Hong Kong reported no new cases.  Several eastern European countries have just a handful of new cases.  Instead of treating it as evidence that it's possible to contain the virus, it seems that many people just assume these countries must be lying.

8 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

this is incorrect because South Korea and New Zealand knew what to do.

the US was prepared for H1N1 and that core of experts was fired over the last 3 years.

Well, we’ll just have to disagree on that because the steps that South Korea and New Zealand took in response to coronavirus, namely test, trace and isolate, were not the steps that the US took during H1N1.  Over 60,000,000 people caught that virus in the US.   Nowhere near that percentage caught the coronavirus in South Korea and NZ.   

And no scientist in the world is going to be able to offer an exact date on when we should reopen, how we should reopen, what should reopen, etc.  They will tell us what to consider in making those decision, but there is no exact formula.  

23 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

No there isn’t.  If there was we would have done the same things for H1N1 that we are doing for Coronavirus.  

IMHO The biggest difference btw this year vs 2009 is Twitter.  Sure they had it back then.. but it is no where near the beast it has become today in the global pandemic scenario.   Social media platforms have become an extremely powerful tool to form public opinion and to set the course for what is right and what is wrong.. and most importantly.. it provides a shaming platform for those that don't conform.  

2009 (US): Deaths‎: ‎18,449 (lab-confirmed deaths)...    Cases‎: ‎1,632,710 (lab confirmed). it is a close second.. and probably a lot closer than those number indicate given the difference in the total overall number of tets that have been performed (mainly as a tool for postmortem analysis).

In otherwords, it was probably very easy to miss a Swine Flu death in 2009... however, you are not gonna miss a Corona Virus death in 2020.

4 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

IMHO The biggest difference btw this year vs 2009 is Twitter.  Sure they had it back then.. but it is no where near the beast it has become today in the global pandemic scenario.   Social media platforms have become an extremely powerful tool to form public opinion and to set the course for what is right and what is wrong.. and most importantly.. it provides a shaming platform for those that don't conform.  

2009 (US): Deaths‎: ‎18,449 (lab-confirmed deaths)...    Cases‎: ‎1,632,710 (lab confirmed). it is a close second.. and probably a lot closer than those number indicate given the difference in the total overall number of tets that have been performed (mainly as a tool for postmortem analysis).

In otherwords, it was probably very easy to miss a Swine Flu death in 2009... however, you are not gonna miss a Corona Virus death in 2020.

The 2009 swine flu actually had a much lower mortality rate than the traditional flu.  Some IFR estimates were as low as 0.001, i.e. 10 times less deadly than the typical flu. It was comparably mild.  I don't think you'd see that level of fear even with social media.

56 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Have you ever read Democracy in America (Tocqueville)... it is pretty crazy how accurate the prediction was.. It took a couple hundred years, a reality TV star as president and twitter.. but we finally made it!

There have been other periods in our history like this. We just fooled ourselves into thinking we were past all that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

the US had a test within 2 weeks of H1N1 appearing in the US and then used tracking and tracing to test the other affected people.

there's a pretty specific set of criteria that public health officials use to determine if it's safe to resume normal activity.  that's why South Korea is fully open right now.

you should read more and post less.

I don’t know what you have been reading, but over 60,000,000 people caught H1N1 in this country.  It was nothing like South Korea is now.  We weren’t tracking and tracing all of them.  I suggest you take a break from posting nonsense, stop making things up, and stop insulting people.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

If we took the same steps with coronavirus that we took with H1N1 (no shutdowns, no social distancing) we would have an even greater disaster on our hands.  This virus is much more dangerous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

it was the fastest infection rate anyone had ever seen, but the test for it was developed in 2 weeks, and then people who tested positive had their contacts tested and traced.

it's irrelevant how many people got infected because that has nothing to do with your assertion that there was no testing or tracking.

I never said there was no testing or tracking.  

9 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

There have been other periods in our history like this. We just fooled ourselves into thinking we were past all that. 

I was referring to the "tyranny of the majority debate".. freshman year at Hopkins as IR majors we had to write essays on this.  IDK why that popped in my head.. but there is something bout this Corona Virus that reminded me of that.

Texas is allowing you to continue collecting unemployment even if you don’t return if you are 65+ or have a household member 65+. This is a little closer to a phased reopening that protects at risk people. It’s not great imo, but much better than Ohio and Iowa and Georgia right now.

I think I may make the decision to pull my son from daycare. He starts kindergarten this year and even at half price, I can't justify $750 a month to facetime twice a day with his classmates.... and I don't really feel comfortable sending him back if they open up in the next couple weeks...

Soooooo.... yeah.

2 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

I think I may make the decision to pull my son from daycare. He starts kindergarten next weekend and even at half price, I can't justify $750 a month to facetime twice a day with his classmates.... and I don't really feel comfortable sending him back if they open up in the next couple weeks...

Soooooo.... yeah.

w- w- w- wait a minute here.. you kept paying for Daycare after they canceled daycare?

Just now, 40westwx said:

w- w- w- wait a minute here.. you kept paying for Daycare after they canceled daycare?

It's a pre-K and he's 4 and I wanted to hold his spot and they offered half price. Lots of the families are doing it. Plus I wanted to make sure his teacher continued to have a job and made it a stipulation of me paying. They facetime twice a day and learn Pre-K stuff to prepare for Kindergarten, and it gives me a little time to work.

But... yeah. The value isn't there if this is going to be long term.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic