Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

19 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

Need a per capita violent crime stat there to compare.

ETA: NYC one of the safest big cities nowadays.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Many of those cities have high poverty rates above the national average...it is not a stretch at all to say there’s a link between crime and poverty. Of course there are some exceptions. 

And I think you have to consider assaults, robberies,  and thefts of all kinds when correlating crimes and poverty or at least financially disadvantaged individuals, not just violent crimes.

Just now, Wonderdog said:

And I think you have to consider assaults, robberies,  and thefts of all kinds when correlating crimes and poverty or at least financially disadvantaged individuals, not just violent crimes.

Yeah, I apologize for clogging the thread, but I’m going to defend myself when somebody comes at me for a simple comment. If one didn’t like it or didn’t agree, they could have moved on. 

@wxtrix poverty and crime are correlated at a statistically significant level. However there are multiple other factors so it’s not 1:1. There can be some poor areas that do better and some wealthy that do worse. And predominantly white regions with high povert have the same correlation so bringing race into this was unwarranted. 

• Like 2

I half have a feeling that some people want this thread nuked. Y’all please let’s not just spend 2 pages commenting on mods or on poverty and race and crime.

So it looks like several other states opened up today. Just first stage openings save for some of the crazy states with full reopenings. Here’s a map.

Most employers are still not bringing people in, most restaurants are staying closed, and it seems like today was a dud for retail stores with only a couple customers being reported at some.

So tbh the ground truth may be that open or not, people aren’t rushing to eat at Applebee’s and be socially close.

7 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Not the shops though right? What about the walk up food booths?

I understood that any food establishments could still technically do carry out, just like any other restaurants in the state. The retail stuff would still be under state order to be closed so I don’t think there’s much to do about that 

4 minutes ago, understudyhero said:

I read it as "ready to open - pending a lift of the stay at home order that is currently through the 15th"?

No it’s not pending that. The “stay at home order” doesn’t prevent you from going outside to a public park. What makes a beach any different? 

8 hours ago, understudyhero said:

I read it as "ready to open - pending a lift of the stay at home order that is currently through the 15th"?

the beach, access points, boardwalk and inlet parking will be open for locals only. Social distancing will still be required, though no masks are required on the beach. The goal is to let the locals living in OC be able to go walk the boardwalk and beach. It is not meant for tourist to go to the beach

On the topic of kids, recent studies failed to find a single case of a child passing the virus to an adult. While I'm sure it's happened somewhere at some point, the only research and data we have right now seems to show that kids just never really become contagious. 

One of the examples cited was a 9 year old British boy. They carried out contact tracing and out of the 170 people he came into contact with, 0 caught the virus. 

Open everything up as if nothing were wrong? No, but we should be putting together plans on how to get kids to back school this fall. Take the summer to develop a plan that protects teachers from other parents and staff, but it's becoming more and more clear it's not kids who are spreading this thing. 

1 hour ago, ErinInTheSky said:

I know they are saying locals only... but does anyone think there’s a chance in hell it ends up that way?

Right, it’s the same as the non essential travel thing. People aren’t going to be randomly pulled over. You’ll only get caught if you do something stupid. The weather won’t be supportive of people randomly going though for the next week to 10 days so it probably won’t be to bad until next weekend 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic