Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

1 minute ago, Yeoman said:

He’s very easy to follow and has been consistent with his arguments. I think the issue has more to do with the fact that it’s not what you want to hear.

It’s not a coincidence that some of the loudest voices in support of lockdowns are the teachers. I’m sure the very powerful teacher unions in these blue states are putting heavy pressure on the governors to stay locked down. It’s an interesting dynamic...

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Folks need to study history if they think it's "cute" to believe the government can be given an inch and then take a mile. Literally every totalitarian regime starts this way. We shouldn't be cheering this shit and hoping it stays this way. Take a damned civics class.

I thought you were accusing others of being political.  You jump around to various points but this one here doesn’t get more political. 

33 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

He’s very easy to follow and has been consistent with his arguments. I think the issue has more to do with the fact that it’s not what you want to hear.

I don’t really have a dog in this fight tbh.  If we open up soon, I’m game for that.  If we stay closed for a while longer to be cautious, fine by me. 

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

American freedoms transcend our current political parties. 

47 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s not a coincidence that some of the loudest voices in support of lockdowns are the teachers. I’m sure the very powerful teacher unions in these blue states are putting heavy pressure on the governors to stay locked down. It’s an interesting dynamic...

Tell me again about being political...

@PhineasC

I’m not going too deep down this hole because it’s way way way over the politics line...but populism is a way bigger threat to democracy and freedom than temporary emergency measures during a pandemic.  Government had taken measures normally not accepted in emergencies when collective action is necessary plenty of times before. The only way these measure become permanent threats is if society allows it.  And that attitude or lack of awareness would be the real threat not the virus mitigation policy.   If we have become that complacent that we would allow the government to go full empire on us that result is inevitable and blaming a temporary pandemic policy for that is nearsighted. 

1 hour ago, Yeoman said:

His arguments have been consistent but his justifications for them jump all over the place.

20 minutes ago, H2O said:

What a way to spend a gorgeous weekend day. 

Toxic, toxic....mercy. Forgive me, I've tried to hold my peace about this, but...my goodness, ya got the same two or three in here messing it up (when I see their icons, I don't even open it half the time, lol) I mean, I get that you guys don't want to moderate TOO heavily and such...nevertheless, it's still frustrating to read.

Toxic, toxic....mercy. Forgive me, I've tried to hold my peace about this, but...my goodness, ya got the same two or three in here messing it up (when I see their icons, I don't even open it half the time, lol) I mean, I get that you guys don't want to moderate TOO heavily and such...nevertheless, it's still frustrating to read.

The ignore function works pretty well if you don’t care to read opposing opinions
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

LOL they love moderating heavily. Slam that report button, bro. 

I do think there is some evidence worth examining that suggests the risk of this virus to some populations is relatively low.   If that turns out to be true I do think we can use that along with other things we learn as we go along to tailor an effective and less extreme mitigation policy.   I am not advocating for a stay in lockdown for as long as it takes no matter what policy.  I think there should be a discussion as we learn more and more about exactly what the most effective policy should be and if we can adapt and design less restrictive but still effective strategies to protect vulnerable populations.  

HOWEVER...that is not the conversation that is happening in here.   And worse...it is not the reality that is happening in some places.  Places that are opening aren't taking measures to protect vulnerable populations. They are simply opening up.  There are a few people who are even going out of their way to discount taking certain common sense measures.  I've seen "we obviously aren't going to do contact tracing" posted several times.  Oh really...why is that?  We have plenty of available labor who could quickly be hired and trained to do this.  Why are some totally discounting what would be a proven method to mitigate the spread without more restrictive measures?   They seem more intent on using this situation to validate their "give me liberty or give me death" ideology than formulating an effective pandemic response policy.  

I am totally willing to discuss ways (based on a scientific methodology and evidence) to formulate a less restrictive pandemic policy.  I actually think that is where we need to take this in the coming weeks and months.  But that discussion and policy should be driven by using evidence to develop methods to protect vulnerable people and to quickly respond and stop localized hotspots before they spread.  The discussion shouldn't be driven by attempts to prove America values liberty over life.  

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

With business production and some rationing, yes. They never forcibly shut down churches, businesses, sports, travel, etc. I think a lot of folks will just vote with their feet and move to states like Texas and Florida, a trend that is already happening.

Oh, and elections have been canceled. NY canceled their primaries. More is coming in November unless we push back on it.

We have freedom, but it comes with a heavy price.

Its already hot as heck down here! It gets much worse in another 6 weeks, lol. Highs around 102 and lows around 84, dewpoints near 74 for weeks and weeks on end. No hope for major cold front relief til about late October.

You just might want to think about that before trying out our climate, lol. And, it is MUCH drier. Much less rain, much milder winters, our January average is 60 for a high. And winter allergies! I cough up my lungs for 2 months just from cedar, starting around Christmas, I dont need COVID to sound like an old geezer, cedar does that for me every winter. If I ever get COVID + Cedar, I'll be sunk without a trace lmao!

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

You lose me when you or anyone make it partisan. It's no longer a discussion it's just an I'm right and you're wrong argument which is just annoying. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Sorry, I’ve been outside all day powering washing. Phin isn’t worth the time 

And you guys can use the report button if you need too. As far as I can tell no one did today so despite the complaints, y’all didn’t do much to get someone’s attention over it 

19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I’ve been trying to tell them that. They think you and water don’t like moderating. LOL 

You’ve now made numerous posts about being moderated which should be moderated because it’s cluttering up the thread.  You obviously want to be moderated. You keep this up and sooner or later they will and then you will say see told ya so. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic