Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

11 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Side note: my son’s pediatrician is pushing reallllllly hard for people to come in for well visits. Like my kid needs his immunization shots before school but why the heck would I go in now instead of later?

you know, its funny you mentioned that. i had a virtual visit with my primary doc monday, and he asked me about my kid. when i was bringing her in for a well-visit. I told him not any time soon, that her visit can wait. he seemed huffy about it. 

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Hospitals that aren’t being overwhelmed should start bringing back elective procedures. There’s a pretty wide range of what’s being considered “elective” now... I know someone who currently can’t walk and needs a knee replacement, whose surgery was cancelled last month until further notice. I think it’s ridiculous tbh

11 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I’m a fed.  I’ve been working my ass off including a 12 hour day today.  All this really shows is that office jobs do not need to be in an office.

Fuck you.

Yeah my gf worked a 16 hour day today from home. Makes it easier being from home but still. 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

i have no idea what you're rambling on about. but the fact is, you are teetering on being 5 posted again if you cant reel in the outlandish posts. i mean, a red tagger said **** you to you... and i'm leaving it because you deserve it. 

please think about it. and do better. 

I deleted a really bad post this morning a couple minutes after posting it.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

you know, its funny you mentioned that. i had a virtual visit with my primary doc monday, and he asked me about my kid. when i was bringing her in for a well-visit. I told him not any time soon, that her visit can wait. he seemed huffy about it. 

Its funny a few of us have noticed that. 

I think docs/hospitals are hurting because a lot of us are, understandably, quite nervous to enter into spaces where medical care is being given right now. 

Just now, ErinInTheSky said:

On that same note, I JUST got a message from my eye doctor basically begging people to come in, saying how safe they are being and how it's time for my annual eye doctor appointments.

I think a lot of medical/dental/vision places are suffering pretty hard right now.

Regarding dental- most dental offices have closed entirely under the advice of the ADA. My one son has a complex dental problem that was being re-evaluated every 3 months (he’s going to need surgery at some point). Those followups aren’t being done now as the office has been closed since March. And whenever they reopen, they’ll be backlogged for months with missed cleanings.

We were told if he starts with pain, we’re just gonna have to drive to Children’s National which is 2.5 hours away and try to find a dentist there. 

11 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Its funny a few of us have noticed that. 

I think docs/hospitals are hurting because a lot of us are, understandably, quite nervous to enter into spaces where medical care is being given right now. 

I usually have my annual physical in the summer and there is no way I'll go unless I'm wearing a mask at the least.  And they also need to make sure there are no wait times and the doc/nurse are prompt.  Sitting in the waiting room or exam room have to be as brief as possible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Regarding dental- most dental offices have closed entirely under the advice of the ADA. My one son has a complex dental problem that was being re-evaluated every 3 months (he’s going to need surgery at some point). Those followups aren’t being done now as the office has been closed since March. And whenever they reopen, they’ll be backlogged for months with missed cleanings.

We were told if he starts with pain, we’re just gonna have to drive to Children’s National which is 2.5 hours away and try to find a dentist there. 

Our dentist was open for orthodontics and emergency only.  My wife took our son on Tuesday to get his braces off.  As of now though, VA has reopened to all elective dental and medical procedures.  

I'm sure the bodies will start piling up in Denmark in just two more weeks! Yup, won't be long now, they are crazy to reopen!

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-denmark/denmark-says-coronavirus-spread-has-not-accelerated-since-reopening-began-idUSC7N28C01R

COPENHAGEN, April 30 (Reuters) - The spread of Covid-19 in Denmark has not accelerated since the country began a gradual loosening of restrictions in mid-April, the State Serum Institute, which is responsible for preparedness against infectious diseases, said on Thursday. 

The so-called R rate, which shows the average number of infections one person with the virus causes, has increased slightly in the past two weeks but remains below 1.0, the institute said. 

“However, there are no signs that the COVID-19 epidemic is accelerating,” it said. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I'm sure the bodies will start piling up in Denmark in just two more weeks! Yup, won't be long now, they are crazy to reopen!

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-denmark/denmark-says-coronavirus-spread-has-not-accelerated-since-reopening-began-idUSC7N28C01R

I think quote a few people have said it will take longer than a couple weeks to see any changes. It depends on what kind of habits people actually return to.

Take Georgia for instance. They "reopened" but businesses, restaurants, etc are still dead and people are still mostly sheltering in place. It'll take a while for people to return to any semblance of normal economic activity, assuming they even do in the middle of a pandemic.

Just now, wxtrix said:

Denmark is testing everyone with symptoms. the US is not, so there’s no valid comparison.

Ah, didn't know that. Yeah, I think it's well known that any country doing massive testing, contact tracing, and isolation can reopen much better than countries that don't.

Test, trace, isolate is the one, 3 word solution that has worked best for any country adopting it.

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Maryland got over 6,600 test results yesterday and still a 26% positive rate, 1730 new cases.  Not good.  Need that positive rate to come way down to think the outbreak is slowing.

Yup. Total currently hospitalized dropped by 43 beds though which is promising!

2 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Maryland got over 6,600 test results yesterday and still a 26% positive rate, 1730 new cases.  Not good.  Need that positive rate to come way down to think the outbreak is slowing.

Va again saw a jump in cases but that goes with more testing being done.  Over 900 new cases.  Gotta do more tests and see where trends go 

3 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

remember, number of cases is not a metric being used to gauge reopening. cases are going to rise as more people are tested. 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

remember, number of cases is not a metric being used to gauge reopening. cases are going to rise as more people are tested. 

Yes, but as you test more and more people if you keep finding the same % positive that’s not good.  If the outbreak is slowing as you test more people the % positive should decrease. 

Yes, but as you test more and more people if you keep finding the same % positive that’s not good.  If the outbreak is slowing as you test more people the % positive should decrease. 

we have no idea when those people were tested. the lag plays a huge role on getting a clear picture of whats going on. i keep repeating this but it doesnt seem to be sinking in. Case numbers are going to continue to rise and more and more are tested. Hanging on by case numbers and percentages gets us no where fast. 

Yeah. % positive is an important metric to watch. Fauci was talking about it yesterday, how South Korea got theirs down to 3-5%. 

It's not going to be used as a metric for reopening though. Hospitalizations will be the main one, which went down today.

However... given that what you said is correct re: percent positive, it makes me wonder if we're not about to see total hospitalizations go up in coming days as people got a bit lax this last warm weekend.

The lockdowns are not really working to stop the spread, which is why you are still seeing new cases coming in at a consistent clip. This is going to continue until we get to 70% infected and herd immunity takes over. Could take 2 years at this rate while our economy goes down the drain. That's why "daily new cases" is a poor metric for any policy decisions. But this post will get removed soon so read it fast!

Just now, PhineasC said:

The lockdowns are not really working t stop the spread, which is why you are still seeing new cases coming in at a consistent clip. This is going to continue until we get to 70% infected and herd immunity takes over. Could take 2 years at this rate while our economy goes down the drain. That'w why "daily new cases" is a poor metric for any policy decisions. But this post will get removed soon so read it fast!

You're all over the place today  Phin. Within the span of one hour, you said:

- Not being on lockdowns does not increase the transmissibility, look at Denmark.

- Being on lockdowns is not enough to lower the transmissibility and we will reach herd immunity on lockdown, look at us.

They're mutually exclusive. Also there's no way on earth you get to herd immunity while on lockdown, that would take forever.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

we have no idea when those people were tested. the lag plays a huge role on getting a clear picture of whats going on. i keep repeating this but it doesnt seem to be sinking in. Case numbers are going to continue to rise and more and more are tested. Hanging on by case numbers and percentages gets us no where fast. 

I think everyone gets the lag, but the idea still stands that the more tests you give, if the outbreak wasn’t very widespread, you’d see the % positive come down.  

I think everyone gets the lag, but the idea still stands that the more tests you give, if the outbreak wasn’t very widespread, you’d see the % positive come down.  

but thats you assuming it isn't widespread. its been widespread and until you test everyone you will never know how widespread it actually is. 

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic