Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

19 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

interesting thread

He's likely gonna be right as long as the phased reopening occurs in states across the country.  Would be hard to truly experience a large downturn in cases and deaths... and not like there is much hope for top notch testing rates and contact tracing anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Vice-Regent said:

Let's lockdown for 1 year and crash industrial civilization. It's not even possible ... people need to work because we would starve otherwise. The cities are ****ed.

It seems fate has made it's decision and the powers that be (nature) does not approve of our presence.

Earth is mad and we should just accept our punishment. Got it. Thanks for your input.  

ETA: the world is what we make it.  Your attitude is a defeatist self fulfilling prophecy.  

1 hour ago, 40westwx said:

oh yeah.. think about it.. basically half of the country was ordered to "work" from home.. to do their "non essential" jobs.. and on average these  are the people that get paid more than anyone  in our society.

The vast majority of people I work with push electronic forms of paper in some form or fashion. And they typically push that paper in some nonsensical bureaucratic circle to support some regulatory policy that was made up to support the bureaucracies that they create..

and then have meetings two or three times a day to figure out ways to make the bureaucracies more complex to make them feel better about themselves  

This Corona Virus phenomenon is beginning to make me think that our jobs are more or less a "front".  That the service industries that our economy are built on (like housing, food, transportation and entertainment production) are so efficient that all you really need are a core group of skilled blue collared workers to keep it going.  

Think about it.. the federal government sent home 80% of its workforce and nothing happened.

I always had this fantasy that maybe one day we simply paid the rest of America to go home and do nothing and keep getting paid (forever).. we could probably increase efficiency that way.  But there is one problem... who would we be sending home for the free ride?  White Collar America ie - all the electronic paper pushers who have "earned" their way in to a comfortable living by either college education or privileged.

And there is another problem.. how can we justify paying people for doing nothing?  You can't... because at that point the real Americans.. the skilled blue collar workforce.. would call bullshit.. 

With this Corina Virus stuff..  I am wondering how they havent called bullshit on it already.

Wow, can you be more insulting, smug, and trollish to a large number of people?  And "real Americans", are you kidding me?  Like only certain people are?

8 hours ago, mappy said:

the disease still has to run its course through the community, our actions have just slowed that spread to more manageable levels. 

yes.. but does "more manageable" mean less overall infections or preventing unnecessary deaths from running out ventilators.  I feel it started out with the ventilator thing.. but slowly morphed in the this "we can beat this thing" mentality.

42 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

yes.. but does "more manageable" mean less overall infections or preventing unnecessary deaths from running out ventilators.  I feel it started out with the ventilator thing.. but slowly morphed in the this "we can beat this thing" mentality.

There were never any shifting goal posts, the only things that shifted were the talking points on the propaganda shows (Fox).  

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Earth is mad and we should just accept our punishment. Got it. Thanks for your input.  

ETA: the world is what we make it.  Your attitude is a defeatist self fulfilling prophecy.  

Why wouldn't you accept it? The Earth is our provider .... better call Elon Musk for advice. Giving us false hope. There is your pessimist.

"It is what what we want it to be" LOL

Maybe if civilization keeps trying we will get it right eventually. The definition of insanity is expecting a different result. There is no easy answer other than people being aware of the inputs and outputs of the ecological systems which sustain us. That requires time and generational overturning. Sadly we are in short supply of these things.

Fundamentally the distancing between humanity and the natural order is very large in cities. It's a lethal positive feedback loop. That's how we got to this point. We are all living on the most wretched of plantations. Not much has changed.

3 hours ago, 40westwx said:

Think about it.. the federal government sent home 80% of its workforce and nothing happened.

I’m a fed.  I’ve been working my ass off including a 12 hour day today.  All this really shows is that office jobs do not need to be in an office.

You can't... because at that point the real Americans.. the skilled blue collar workforce..

Fuck you.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I’m a fed.  I’ve been working my ass off including a 12 hour day today.  All this really shows is that office jobs do not need to be in an office.

**** you.

As a Fed myself, you pretty well said what I wanted to say...much more effectively and succinctly!  Thanks! :)

(ETA:  Well, the quote of your comment starred-out the "F" bomb for some reason, but anyhow!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vice-Regent said:

Why wouldn't you accept it? The Earth is our provider .... better call Elon Musk for advice. Giving us false hope. There is your pessimist.

"It is what what we want it to be" LOL

Maybe if civilization keeps trying we will get it right eventually. The definition of insanity is expecting a different result. There is no easy answer other than people being aware of the inputs and outputs of the ecological systems which sustain us. That requires time and generational overturning. Sadly we are in short supply of these things.

Fundamentally the distancing between humanity and the natural order is very large in cities. It's a lethal positive feedback loop. That's how we got to this point. We are all living on the most wretched of plantations. Not much has changed.

Sorry I had my headphones in...could you explain that again. 

4 hours ago, 40westwx said:

oh yeah.. think about it.. basically half of the country was ordered to "work" from home.. to do their "non essential" jobs.. and on average these  are the people that get paid more than anyone  in our society.

The vast majority of people I work with push electronic forms of paper in some form or fashion. And they typically push that paper in some nonsensical bureaucratic circle to support some regulatory policy that was made up to support the bureaucracies that they create..

and then have meetings two or three times a day to figure out ways to make the bureaucracies more complex to make them feel better about themselves  

This Corona Virus phenomenon is beginning to make me think that our jobs are more or less a "front".  That the service industries that our economy are built on (like housing, food, transportation and entertainment production) are so efficient that all you really need are a core group of skilled blue collared workers to keep it going.  

I always had this fantasy that maybe one day we simply paid the rest of America to go home and do nothing and keep getting paid (forever).. we could probably increase efficiency that way.  But there is one problem... who would we be sending home for the free ride?  White Collar America ie - all the electronic paper pushers who have "earned" their way in to a comfortable living by either college education or privileged.

And there is another problem.. how can we justify paying people for doing nothing?  You can't... because at that point the real Americans.. the skilled blue collar workforce.. would call bullshit.. 

With this Corina Virus stuff..  I am wondering how they havent called bullshit on it already.

The federal government is not some all-knowing monolith that is stifling all the that is great about this country.  More than half of federal government spending is sending out social security checks and paying Medicare bills to health care companies/drug companies. Another quarter is defense spending. You know, to take care of all the troops we have all over the world.  That last quarter is the "traditional" federal government. Stuff like national parks, immigration, NWS!, FBI, agriculture assistance, road building, etc. Did they stay home? Probably half, IDK.

BTW, I would be perfectly fine if we would not build an aircraft carrier in a budget year so we could have an agency to track and intercept infectious diseases when they crop up.  Kinda like what S. Korea did. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

"A UPMC doctor on Thursday made a case the death rate for people infected with the new coronavirus may be as low as 0.25% — far lower than the mortality rates of 2-4% or even higher cited in the early days of the pandemic."

This is hilarious.. I think everyone here understands that the actual mortality is 4%.   Thats more or less just common sense.  But when I say that in statistical modeling 0.01% is actually the same as 0.25% given erratic variability people go ape shit and say stuff like I am not worth replying too.  

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

If this guy was younger he would be attacked on Social Media and forced to resign.  Since he is old, the crazies will just write him off as some quack. 

The one thing we don't know is this...how many infected and dead if we had done nothing. Screw the models....it's a pointless argument and only one to inflame. Here we are...let's get out of this hole the best way possible. 

And for you Sweden freaks...they doubled their hospital capacity and have surpassed normal capacity so basically if they hadn't their hospitals would have been overwhelmed. Also fyi...America ain't Sweden....zero discipline as a whole.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 40westwx said:

i have no idea what you're rambling on about. but the fact is, you are teetering on being 5 posted again if you cant reel in the outlandish posts. i mean, a red tagger said **** you to you... and i'm leaving it because you deserve it. 

please think about it. and do better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Side note: my son’s pediatrician is pushing reallllllly hard for people to come in for well visits. Like my kid needs his immunization shots before school but why the heck would I go in now instead of later?

So is mine... we’re not sure what to do. I think the office itself is probably ok but we have to go through a crowded lobby, an elevator, etc. with a baby that likes to grab everything (especially people’s faces lol).

But I’m not sure what delaying will do to help. He’s gonna need 15 month shots in September too and this certainly isn’t going away by then.

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic