Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Did they switch the hospitalization metric to total current hospitalizations or has it always been that way? 

Either way we need the "new" number to go negative to see less bed usage.

it use to be "ever hospitalized" now its just "current" 

Just now, mappy said:

it use to be "ever hospitalized" now its just "current" 

I thought so. Current is probably a better number to use, but definitely takes reframing when comparing to past numbers we remember. +15 could be anything from 15 added and none discharged to 250 added and 235 discharged.

Good to see we're close to seeing our hospital bed usage going down though. But also a bit disconcerting to see that there are more hospital beds in use right now than any other day.

Just now, supernovasky said:

I thought so. Current is probably a better number to use, but definitely takes reframing when comparing to past numbers we remember. +15 could be anything from 15 added and none discharged to 250 added and 235 discharged.

Good to see we're close to seeing our hospital bed usage going down though. But also a bit disconcerting to see that there are more hospital beds in use right now than any other day.

well we can see numbers of those released from isolation, which is good. but i agree, its not a complete picture. 

• Like 1

It would nice to see this data for other cities/states in USA. I guess this stuff isn't always published immediately. That's why I suspect that the original modeling that the admin showed of 100K-240K won't be far off at all. Given that that they never posted timelines on that, I assumed it was the first pandemic wave. 

12 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

It would nice to see this data for other cities/states in USA. I guess this stuff isn't always published immediately. That's why I suspect that the original modeling that the admin showed of 100K-240K won't be far off at all. Given that that they never posted timelines on that, I assumed it was the first pandemic wave. 

This makes sense.  For all the hullabaloo about how bad the models were it looks like they’ll be pretty accurate.  

You can order a test for antibodies online now, $170. Requires you to schedule a blood draw at a local testing center. Not taking insurance but accepts HSAs and I'm guessing you could submit bill to insurance for reimbursement. I might do it just to see if I am a silent carrier. Found out through a friend who knows doctors in New Orleans who are using the same test (not through this company).

www.healthlabs.com

Hey y'all:

Expanded COVID-19 Testing

Maryland and Washington D.C. residents without a doctor: Johns Hopkins Medicine is now offering COVID-19 screening, and testing if appropriate, for Maryland and Washington, D.C. citizens who do not have a doctor. If a person tests positive for COVID-19 and does not require hospitalization, we have a team of doctors who can manage their care remotely, so they can recover at home.

This screening is available at any Johns Hopkins location. For further information, call our hotline for those without primary care physicians: 443-997-9537.

6 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

You can order a test for antibodies online now, $170. Requires you to schedule a blood draw at a local testing center. Not taking insurance but accepts HSAs and I'm guessing you could submit bill to insurance for reimbursement. I might do it just to see if I am a silent carrier. Found out through a friend who knows doctors in New Orleans who are using the same test (not through this company).

www.healthlabs.com

Antibody testing doesn’t tell you whether you are a silent carrier.  It tells you whether or not you may have had the coronavirus and subsequently developed antibodies.  

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah but with NY’s continued lower numbers even with NJ’s increase we’ll almost certainly be lower than last Tuesday, so the downward trend continues. 

Oh yeah. New York has CERTAINLY gotten a hold on their pandemic. They have had the longest stay at home, and are religious about following it, and have the highest testing rates. I expect it to fall there.

Now, for the rest of the nation? Yeah. Not promising right now.

18 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Hey y'all:

Expanded COVID-19 Testing

Maryland and Washington D.C. residents without a doctor: Johns Hopkins Medicine is now offering COVID-19 screening, and testing if appropriate, for Maryland and Washington, D.C. citizens who do not have a doctor. If a person tests positive for COVID-19 and does not require hospitalization, we have a team of doctors who can manage their care remotely, so they can recover at home.

This screening is available at any Johns Hopkins location. For further information, call our hotline for those without primary care physicians: 443-997-9537.

"if appropriate" is the key there. i highly doubt anyone can just roll up and get a test. 

42 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Oh yeah. New York has CERTAINLY gotten a hold on their pandemic. They have had the longest stay at home, and are religious about following it, and have the highest testing rates. I expect it to fall there.

Now, for the rest of the nation? Yeah. Not promising right now.

They have not had the longest stay at home, I believe that was California.

1 hour ago, mdhokie said:

www.healthlabs.com

Interesting.  It's tempting but $170 is pretty steep just to be curious.

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic