Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Plus people aren’t doing most normal economic activity when they are sick. And the loss of much of entertainment and service industry is going to hurt bad no matter what we do.  

There are a LOT of factors people are failing to accurately incorporate into their theories. And that’s why it’s dangerous to think we know better than the experts. I’m sure there are factors I don’t know or am missing also but I’m not the one suggesting I know better than them. 

Yea I don't get why people are having a hard time understanding this.  

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Plus people aren’t doing most normal economic activity when they are sick. And the loss of much of entertainment and service industry is going to hurt bad no matter what we do.  

There are a LOT of factors people are failing to accurately incorporate into their theories. And that’s why it’s dangerous to think we know better than the experts. I’m sure there are factors I don’t know or am missing also but I’m not the one suggesting I know better than them. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Seems to contradict the prevailing wisdom among a certain group who think that we are a few weeks away from everyone ignoring stay at home orders.  

IMO, so long as state's present sound plans for re-opening with targeted dates or date ranges, you'll see the public support probably stay here.  If things are open-ended then yea obviously support for this will erode.

8 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Seems to contradict the prevailing wisdom among a certain group who think that we are a few weeks away from everyone ignoring stay at home orders.  

While I agree with the thought, I think that when states begin to allow reopening and employers demand employees to go back to work, people won't be left with much of a choice.

1 minute ago, snowfan said:

We continue seeing more food processing plants closing up because of covid. At wegmans this morning I found meat supply to be as such....

Chicken - nothing

Ground beef - plentiful

Steak - limited

Pork - plentiful

Ground turkey - plentiful

Good to see. I haven’t had much struggle getting the items I want from Wegmans via Instacart, I’m not lacking for food at all.

19 minutes ago, snowfan said:

We continue seeing more food processing plants closing up because of covid. At wegmans this morning I found meat supply to be as such....

Chicken - nothing

Ground beef - plentiful

Steak - limited

Pork - plentiful

Its going to get worse before it gets better for meat departments over the next few weeks. 

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Hey DCT ...what certain group? What prevailing wisdom?Exactly Who said (everyone) would ignore stay at home orders in a " few" weeks? 

I think saying it was a group is exaggerating.  It was really only a couple contrarians like phin and golfsnow who said that.  2 people isn’t really a group. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think saying it was a group is exaggerating.  It was really only a couple contrarians like phin and golfsnow who said that.  2 people isn’t really a group. 

I think Eskimo Joe hit the nail on the head.  If the orders are open ended a few weeks from now support for them with drop significantly.  But if over the next couple weeks there are some concrete plans and dates being rolled out that would go a long way to help people psychologically at least.  Obviously this is happening in some places now. Using VA as a local example, if we still have shelter in place orders in mid May without any concrete plan for reopening, then i think support for the order will be less than 50%.  No need to throw anything at me.  It is just an opinion.

21 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Your post was very vague and made wild assumptions . Your reply didn't really help but I'm moving on .

NBD,  I was debating phin + a few others on here about a week ago regarding public support for lockdowns.   He seemed to think we were a few weeks away from the public being fed up with stay at home orders.

Hey y'all. Just checking in. Hope everyone is safe back home. My wife and I are good out here in west TX. Not too much of a problem out here thanks to lower pop density. It is here though. My wife, who is a very rare congenital heart survivor and a walking statistic is a very high risk for this thing, so we are taking it easy and doing all the necessary precautions. Hopefully no one catches this thing. I know 2 people that died and 7 people who have had it in general. It's not fun. My coworkers father has it in FL. He's not doing well, but still not experiencing the shortness of breath yet. Hopefully he can push through. Fever going on day 6. This thing is brutal for certain people. 

Anyway, just wanted to check in and pass along how we're doing. Hopefully we can get to some semblance of normalcy soon. Have a great weekend y'all!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, snowfan said:

Chicken - nothing

Ground beef - plentiful

Steak - limited

Pork - plentiful

Our local Boston Market has a sign in their window for whole chickens at $1.99.  Assuming it's area-wide.

17 hours ago, supernovasky said:

Despite what you hear at the coronavirus briefings... please do not inject disinfectant to cure the coronavirus. My lord.

I huffed a sh!t ton of Glade back when I was a teenager.. maybe it kept me from getting a cold!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Hogans guidance is basically nothing new.

Not lifting restrictions yet, but possibly entering phase 1 in early May. This thread has the deets.

Hogan wants to reopen so badly, good on him for being smart about how to do it. 

• Like 1

Actually the reopening plan seems really good. He says in there that childcare facilities will be examined in phase 2, not phase 1. Phase 2 will be difficult to get to unless phase 1 succeeds.

This also says we probably aren’t going to have widespread people working until June given the lack of child care centers.

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Hey y'all. Just checking in. Hope everyone is safe back home. My wife and I are good out here in west TX. Not too much of a problem out here thanks to lower pop density. It is here though. My wife, who is a very rare congenital heart survivor and a walking statistic is a very high risk for this thing, so we are taking it easy and doing all the necessary precautions. Hopefully no one catches this thing. I know 2 people that died and 7 people who have had it in general. It's not fun. My coworkers father has it in FL. He's not doing well, but still not experiencing the shortness of breath yet. Hopefully he can push through. Fever going on day 6. This thing is brutal for certain people. 

Anyway, just wanted to check in and pass along how we're doing. Hopefully we can get to some semblance of normalcy soon. Have a great weekend y'all!

I figured West Texas would be in very good shape. I am in Hays County. You can bet I am staying far the hell away from Austin. I probably wont go back into Austin, until mid 2021. Hays is in good shape too, though not as good as in western TX.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I figured West Texas would be in very good shape. I am in Hays County. You can bet I am staying far the hell away from Austin. I probably wont go back into Austin, until mid 2021. Hays is in good shape too, though not as good as in western TX.

Yeah Jeb. More people been leaving out here too since oil has been taking a massive hit recently. CV and the OPEC/Russia feud timed together for the perfect storm of sorts. Anyway, I think we'll be okay out here. Back home in MD is a different story. I have friends on the front lines. Said seeing people deteriorate like they are is awful. I have a friend who's a respiratory therapist at Sinai in Baltimore. She's intubated more people in 1 month than she has in the past 2 years combined, including some younger people in their 30's. Best believe we want none of that. Stay safe down there! My wife and I will be doing a road trip tomorrow to check out the Bluebonnets. Gets us out of the apartment and we'll be in the car on our journey. I'm looking forward to seeing them :)

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic