Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

2 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

I responded that way because he said "we were told something that didn't pan out".

that is straight up disinformation.

and i appreciate you setting him straight. you could have done without this: stop posting this nonsense unless you have facts to back it up.

We aren't going to be doing that here. Its fine you wanna correct someone, but I am telling you to find a better way to do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The false equivalencies being made aren’t fooling anyone. People need to stop. It’s kinda insulting when you post something people would have to be stupid to believe. 

Examples I’ve seen lately

Comparing the rate of “confirmed” covid infections to “estimated” flu infections.  

Comparing the spread of covid during extreme mitigation measures to the spread of other viruses during limited or no measures.

Comparing the spread of a virus in one society to another with a completely different population density or culture.

Projecting similar results of a policy from one culture onto another.  

Comparing the mortality of confirmed covid cases to the mortality of estimated cases of other viruses. 

Bringing up one variable to discredit one data set then ignoring its effect on the other you are comparing it too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

The false equivalencies being made aren’t fooling anyone. People need to stop. It’s kinda insulting when you post something people would have to be stupid to believe. 

Examples I’ve seen lately

Comparing the rate of “confirmed” covid infections to “estimated” flu infections.  

Comparing the spread of a virus in one society to another with a completely different population density or culture.

Projecting similar results of a policy from one culture onto another.  

Comparing the mortality of confirmed covid cases to the mortality of estimated cases of other viruses. 

Bringing up one variable to discredit one data set then ignoring its effect on the other you are comparing it too. 

I agree, they aren't helpful. All I ask is that you all (general you all) correct others in a nicer way when they do it. :) 

if you (general you) wanna sling mud, i can point you to the place to do it. (its not here)

24 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

I responded that way because he said "we were told something that didn't pan out".

that is straight up disinformation.

Exactly.  The more dire estimates of mortality, as I understood things, were *if* we did nothing or almost nothing.  That the numbers are now indicating a lower amount (thankfully!) would seem to me to be a direct result of stay-home orders, social distancing, and restrictions on what establishments can remain open (and how many people can be in those places at one time).  There's also the concern over a second wave next fall/winter, right at the same time as the regular flu season is going on.  In many ways, that actually alarms or scares me more than how to deal with things now.  How will we deal with that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Exactly.  The more dire estimates of mortality, as I understood things, were *if* we did nothing or almost nothing.  That the numbers are now indicating a lower amount (thankfully!) would seem to me to be a direct result of stay-home orders, social distancing, and restrictions on what establishments can remain open (and how many people can be in those places at one time).  There's also the concern over a second wave next fall/winter, right at the same time as the regular flu season is going on.  In many ways, that actually alarms or scares me more than how to deal with things now.  How will we deal with that?

It's entirely reasonable to expect at least a treatment protocol for COVID-19 by the end of 2020.  There are several promising treatment protocols being studied and this would at least provide us with options to significantly lower the mortality rate going forward.  

5 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Well, if you believe Dr. Fauci we’re going to deal with it with increased testing, contact tracing and better therapeutics.  

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It's entirely reasonable to expect at least a treatment protocol for COVID-19 by the end of 2020.  There are several promising treatment protocols being studied and this would at least provide us with options to significantly lower the mortality rate going forward.  

2 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Well, if you believe Dr. Fauci we’re going to deal with it with increased testing, contact tracing and better therapeutics.  

Good points, and I have heard some about this.  With luck, having several month's "lead time" before the next season, we'll have better ways of treating this in lieu of a vaccine at some other time in the future.

24 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I am *hoping* (and this hope is based on our leaders being sufficiently pressured to do the right thing since I distrust so many of them) that we will have a decent testing and tracing system in place by this fall, so that any surge in cases can be kept under control, and we wouldn’t have to once again shut down our country.

When testing is woefully inadequate and we severely lack data, then these draconian lockdowns are the only way to reliably protect us from the virus. But hopefully if we have a system to identify infected people and isolated them, then the rest of us can be left alone.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Vice-Regent said:

I am more worried about dead trees (from freeze) and empty beaches. We know winter is like our old summers now. Such is the way of life.

What do you think winter will look like after a summer of diminished aerosols? Not only that GHGs and water vapors are at record levels already.

:axe:

Most would agree that we are leaving a distinct cultural and climactic era behind.

I figured someone like you would celebrate this pandemic. Much lower emissions this year and a possible multi year depression that may follow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

polling overwhelmingly shows that people support the lockdowns.  stop posting this nonsense unless you have facts to back it up.

There is a difference between social distancing and lockdowns. And if you want to be a jerk about it then have it.  I will continue posting my thoughts and opinions.  I don’t support the lockdowns any longer.  But i do support people making their own decisions.  If u are in fear of the virus and wish to remain locked down you have the right to do so.

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

There is a difference between social distancing and lockdowns. And if you want to be a jerk about it then have it.  I will continue posting my thoughts and opinions.  I don’t support the lockdowns any longer.  But i do support people making their own decisions.  If u are in fear of the virus and wish to remain locked down you have the right to do so.

We’ve had more deaths yesterday than any other day and yet you want the lockdowns to end already? A severe pandemic cannot be left up to individual choices. Government has to force people to do the right thing, just like it had to force young men to fight during WWII even though it violated individual freedom.

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Good points, and I have heard some about this.  With luck, having several month's "lead time" before the next season, we'll have better ways of treating this in lieu of a vaccine at some other time in the future.

Much of the success for flattening the eventual 2nd spike with COVID19, as with any significant public health incident, is political leadership and intelligence of the population of a location.

Yes i want to see the lockdowns end.  Perhaps not everywhere all at once.  But I’m open to business being reopened and people making the decision to go or not go over the next few weeks.  In VA we are not having a crisis like they are in NY or NJ.  I think it should be a measured approach, but i think we need to begin the process immediately.  

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Yes i want to see the lockdowns end.  Perhaps not everywhere all at once.  But I’m open to business being reopened and people making the decision to go or not go over the next few weeks.  In VA we are not having a crisis like they are in NY or NJ.  I think it should be a measured approach, but i think we need to begin the process immediately.  

Simple question.

Are the number of cases in VA increasing or decreasing day to day?  Comparing VA to the WORST place hit by this is lol

56 minutes ago, mappy said:

I agree, they aren't helpful. All I ask is that you all (general you all) correct others in a nicer way when they do it. :) 

if you (general you) wanna sling mud, i can point you to the place to do it. (its not here)

:ph34r:

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic