Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

6 hours ago, dailylurker said:

I'm growing a 1000 pound crop of potatoes this spring. I only need 400 pounds. I rest i plan to donate. Home gardens are key. I suggest people plant what they can and help neighbors. Corn is next up soon as this cold pattern passes. Everyone plant veggies!

Dude. That’s awesome. I’ve been struggling to motivate to get my garden going this year because I always have way, way too much for personal use. This is the motivation I needed.

Also, I just finished watching this and would recommend it to everyone.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/coronavirus-pandemic/

12 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Its total bullshit. The 2017-2018 flu deaths are not confirmed laboratory tests. Lab flu deaths are minimal; they model them every year. 

Per CDC - Total deaths per week:

Week 2 - 2020 - 59,151 deaths

Week 2 - 2018 - 67,495 deaths

Week 2 - 2016 - 55,525 deaths

Week 2 - 2014 - 55,620 deaths

Quick can someone check if there was a hurricane or tsunami in January 2018?  I am trying to figure out how we had a 20% increase in the overall mortality rate that year. 

Just to be completely factual and realistic: 

Week 14 - 2020 - 49,292 deaths (100% reporting)

Week 14 - 2019 - 56,595 deaths

Week 14 - 2018 - 55,294 deaths

28 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Dude. That’s awesome. I’ve been struggling to motivate to get my garden going this year because I always have way, way too much for personal use. This is the motivation I needed.

Also, I just finished watching this and would recommend it to everyone.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/coronavirus-pandemic/

I'm sure if I watch this i will get pissed off at certain things that we both know are not allowed to be discussed here.  We cannot speak of the things we are not allowed to say of which we cannot speak of.  The one that shall not be named is tops on that do not talk about list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H2O said:

I'm sure if I watch this i will get pissed off at certain things that we both know are not allowed to be discussed here.  We cannot speak of the things we are not allowed to say of which we cannot speak of.  The one that shall not be named is tops on that do not talk about list.

It’s frustrating to the point of infuriating.

3 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

They’ve got over 6k more cases than WOM, wonder why. 

Not sure, but they have been consistently inconsistent with each other for weeks. I try and stick with JH data if/when I do count difference.

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I wish more states mapped COVID like this, instead of by zip code.  Thoughts on this welcome from @mappy

I guess it depends on what it is you want to see when you map by them zip code.

If you just want to see counts, then the map on the left is fine. 

The map on the right is similar to population density. By doing the dasymetic map, you are taking that zip code data and adding additional spatial information, like buildings/residents in each as the creator said. 

I like them both for the purpose they serve. But if you just want to see counts by zip code then the map on the left is fine.

I'm not sure how you figure out that buildings that can house 100 units would have the majority of cases, unless you know the personal information of all those cases... and i dont think that data is legally available due to HIPAA. So not sure how true the second map actually is.

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic