Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

19 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Just out of curiosity, if GA starts opening businesses and in a few weeks there aren’t any jumps in cases/deaths would you advocate for most everywhere (maybe minus NYC, NJ) to do the same?

Yes. If Georgia reopens and there isn’t a significant resurgence in 3 weeks I would be in favor of most places following that lead. I doubt very much that happens though.

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Even if my firm re-opens our local office soon, there’s 0 chance I’m going back into the office until late May...I just don’t feel safe crowding into an office building right now.

I’d imagine private sector businesses will offer telework anywhere possible for a few months regardless of guidelines be loosened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I’d imagine private sector businesses will offer telework anywhere possible for a few months regardless of guidelines be loosened.

Yeah, the office re-opening would largely be symbolic I’d imagine BUT I can see some people wanting to go into the office to get out of the house.  What’s interesting (and I’m thinking out loud here) If they try to limit the # of people in the building, would it be like a first come, first served?  “Sorry, we reached our quota today, you aren’t allowed in here” — its the dilemma that will face companies....you can’t just reopen and go back to normal operations on day 1.  

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

Quite the gamble Georgia is taking. Either it causes havoc in two weeks time on their hospitals systems, or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t many states will follow suit regardless of the plans/guidelines being put out by 45/DC

See my link above, but could be hard to tease out any effect in a short period. Most likely scenario might be GA stays on the same trend.

Just now, WxUSAF said:

See my link above, but could be hard to tease out any effect in a short period. Most likely scenario might be GA stays on the same trend.

If that happens it’s still a victory for GA’s methods. 

But I agree. My money is actually on some increase + not that much actual business and economic activity returning. 

5 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Yes. If Georgia reopens and there isn’t a significant resurgence in 3 weeks I would be in favor of most places following that lead. I doubt very much that happens though.

I think it’s a matter of how diligently businesses and individuals social distance.  If people just go about their business like they used to I imagine this fails.  If people take hygiene seriously and wear masks and separate maybe it will work. 

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Until the second wave hits in 2-3 weeks time. It’s gonna take that long before cases increase of all the newly infected residents. 

or it doesn’t? Who knows... but it’s a gamble.

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

I think it’s a matter of how diligently businesses and individuals social distance.  If people just go about their business like they used to I imagine this fails.  If people take hygiene seriously and wear masks and separate maybe it will work. 

We’ll see! It’ll be a very interesting experiment. Glad I’m not there.

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, the office re-opening would largely be symbolic I’d imagine BUT I can see some people wanting to go into the office to get out of the house.  What’s interesting (and I’m thinking out loud here) If they try to limit the # of people in the building, would it be like a first come, first served?  “Sorry, we reached our quota today, you aren’t allowed in here” — its the dilemma that will face companies....you can’t just reopen and go back to normal operations on day 1.  

Using my office as an example.  My guess u would have to reserve a seat in the office via our reservation software and that would be limited to whatever level was deemed appropriate.  Some people are permanent office dwellers (me for example) so we would probably get priority. 

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

Personally, I would not want to be a GA resident right now. I’ll stick to my stay at home order until I’m told otherwise.

Same. We have got to get more testing going and what Hogan did on his own was such a smart move

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Personally, I would not want to be a GA resident right now. I’ll stick to my stay at home order until I’m told otherwise.

I don’t think anyone in GA is required to leave their home.  If a GA resident is concerned they can go to the store tonight, buy a months worth of supplies and wait it out.  And I’m sure there are people doing just that right now.  Imagine this scenario: Medical professionals in GA agree that everyone should leave their homes and attend a mass gathering to help for whatever reason (obviously not reality).  Would anyone support the government dragging people from their homes to attend the gatherings? I seriously doubt it even if the consensus was it was the right thing to do.  But we are all to happy to tell people to stay in their homes.

8 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I don’t think anyone in GA is required to leave their home.  If a GA resident is concerned they can go to the store tonight, buy a months worth of supplies and wait it out.  And I’m sure there are people doing just that right now.  Imagine this scenario: Medical professionals in GA agree that everyone should leave their homes and attend a mass gathering to help for whatever reason (obviously not reality).  Would anyone support the government dragging people from their homes to attend the gatherings? I seriously doubt it even if the consensus was it was the right thing to do.  But we are all to happy to tell people to stay in their homes.

lol dude what are you talking about

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I don’t think anyone in GA is required to leave their home.  If a GA resident is concerned they can go to the store tonight, buy a months worth of supplies and wait it out.  

Maybe it will go smoothly but this assertion has huge holes. With everything shut down there is no pressure to go to work. Once things open many won’t have the ability to stay home if the boss says get back to work.  And before you say “those people can’t afford to be home now, that’s only true because we chose not to freeze all debts, rents and utilities like some other nations did.  Plus there would be no further assistance if things are declared “back to normal”. Finally if this does cause a flare up it increase the risk to the essential employees still working. Maybe it works but it’s not the “free choice” utopia you sell it as. 

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, mappy said:

Until the second wave hits in 2-3 weeks time. It’s gonna take that long before cases increase of all the newly infected residents. 

or it doesn’t? Who knows... but it’s a gamble.

Agreed that it will take a few weeks to see it, but reopening will for sure lead to new cases.  It’s simple math and Fauci said as much.  There is simply no way to avoid new cases and have any kind of meaningful reopening. The big question is whether the state is able to contact trace and manage the new cases so as to avoid widespread community spread.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mappy said:

Quite the gamble Georgia is taking. Either it causes havoc in two weeks time on their hospitals systems, or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t many states will follow suit regardless of the plans/guidelines being put out by 45/DC

Plot twist.  Certain states open up and just stop testing.  Can't have a paper trail if you ignore the problem!

As should anyone, including in Georgia, that might be scared and are lucky enough to have that option. Others need to take their chances so they can feed their families and keep a roof over their heads.

• Like 1

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic