Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

35 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

It's certainly possible (or likely) that they under-reported at the very beginning.  But it appears they have it under control now.  Starbucks has re-opened 95% of the stores that they shuttered in January.  There was an article recently that described their process for re-opening.  It was quite methodical and they used the data from the local public health authorities there.

Our numbers will never get as low as theirs has (or allegedly has).  We can't do what China did.  It looks like our new strategy will be to get the numbers down to a more manageable level, and play whack-a-mole with new clusters as they arise.  It'll be a smouldering fire but hopefully no second inferno.  It's pretty apparent that's what our strategy has evolved into

Yeah, exactly.  Their numbers probably aren't accurate, but the broad strokes of what happened in terms of where the virus spread seem to be accurate.  International observers like the WHO and others confirmed this.  

There is a lot of guessing about how COVID-19 will affect certain industries long-term.  I'm wondering if people here have already made conscious decisions to change their spending habits, even if it just seems like a minor thing.

For my part:

• I had been toying with it for years and I finally buzzed my hair.  Yeah, I'm never going back to Great Clips.  
  • I was never interested in ocean cruises, but would have contemplated a river cruise.  Not a chance any longer.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

There is a lot of guessing about how COVID-19 will affect certain industries long-term.  I'm wondering if people here have already made conscious decisions to change their spending habits, even if it just seems like a minor thing.

For my part:

• I had been toying with it for years and I finally buzzed my hair.  Yeah, I'm never going back to Great Clips.  
  • I was never interested in ocean cruises, but would have contemplated a river cruise.  Not a chance any longer.

I cut my hair and I must say.....I dont see a difference between what I did and great clips. #2 around the sides and back. Clippers to trim the top. Easy and done in about 15 minutes. And, yes, I used a mirror to check the back :)

46 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

For my part:

I had help but cut my own hair last week.  Its not nearly as good as the lady i go to but its not bad.  I would need a lot more practice to get that good.  If and when we go back to normal I'll go back to her.  She uses a straight razor for the detail work.  She's got a steady hand. I don't

And agree on cruises.  Eff that.

As far as other things?  Maybe concerts until we have things under control and most have some immunity built up.

6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I’ve been wondering about the lasting impacts from this.  In the future, after a vaccine, do we expect that people that people might still wear masks more? Like if someone just has a cold but wants to go to work anyway. 

Unfortunately we probably won't see much societal change for the better.  Things like right to work laws have largely enabled businesses to suffocate any incremental improvements for employees in this county.  Even something as simple as equitable sick leave has been squashed because it's somehow bad for business owners to let a sick employee stay at home and rest up.

5 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I’ve been wondering about the lasting impacts from this.  In the future, after a vaccine, do we expect that people that people might still wear masks more? Like if someone just has a cold but wants to go to work anyway. 

Should be good during flu season. 

Fashion people are embracing masks so I could totally see mask adoption becoming a thing.

As for me, my own personal habits that will change:

- I’m personally not going to go to restaurants until there is a vaccine, but I may use curbside.

- Unless things are pretty strongly under control I just don’t see my son in daycare again.

- Movie theatres were already overpriced and shitty. I’m done with them.

- I’m going to do more of my chores online. Banking, changing plans, etc.

- I am probably forever going to use hand sanitizer a ton.

- I legitimately don’t think I’m down with crowded places anymore. They already made me a little nervous. It’ll take a lot before I’m willing to enter a space with a ton of people in it again. 

- I am not flying until there is a vaccine.

19 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Fashion people are embracing masks so I could totally see mask adoption becoming a thing.

- I’m personally not going to go to restaurants until there is a vaccine, but I may use curbside.

- Unless things are pretty strongly under control I just don’t see my son in daycare again.

- I legitimately don’t think I’m down with crowded places anymore. They already made me a little nervous. It’ll take a lot before I’m willing to enter a space with a ton of people in it again. 

It's more likely we develop a treatment protocol before a vaccine for COVID19.  Even still that's probably a year off, IMO.

34 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I hope many follow you.. this is great news for those of us that might just be washing our hands more often - no crowds, cheaper prices.. not to mention these places will be cleaner than they have ever been by a mile. Can't wait!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

I hope many follow you.. this is great news for those of us that might just be washing our hands more often - no crowds, cheaper prices.. not to mention these places will be cleaner than they have ever been by a mile. Can't wait!

Cheaper prices? Won’t some of those places possibly be required to raise the prices to stay alive with reduced business?

Maybe I just don’t know how money works!

1 minute ago, Rhino16 said:

Cheaper prices? Won’t some of those places possibly be required to raise the prices to stay alive with reduced business?

Maybe I just don’t know how money works!

Yeah, I would imagine with reduced capacity that may need to be enforced and a general reduction in visits, restaurants, movie theatres, etc would have to raise prices.  

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

From what I've seen at work, these numbers are not due to a spike in testing bandwidth.  This is high and it's just the Monday/Tuesday slump.  Our hospitalizations numbers are not getting any better either.

at least +100 or more a day for the past 10 days

20 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah, I would imagine with reduced capacity that may need to be enforced and a general reduction in visits, restaurants, movie theatres, etc would have to raise prices.  

Pricing is of course driven on demand, which I suspect will initially be very low based on the paranoia/fear factor.. Sadly, reducing your capacity by 50% is a no go for most restaurants.. they have razor thin margins to begin with, and make up for it with volume. I think we will be lucky to see 50% of these places reopen unless the restrictions are not overly stringent. Hopefully down the line they can give it another go

I can certainly see prices going up significantly in the long run due to inevitable inflation from giving away trillions

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic