Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

OK, hadn't seen that. I think schools should stay closed but daycares are a tough call.

Its a tough situation. At least schools are naturally closed during the summer so it won't be a hard decision to make. Daycares are going to be tough because I can imagine that many people may not want to bring their kids back to daycare.

I'm sad that my son might actually never see his daycare friends again because he's about to start Kindergarten. I've been considering just pulling him entirely. We're still doing online distance learning.

15 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Its a tough situation. At least schools are naturally closed during the summer so it won't be a hard decision to make. Daycares are going to be tough because I can imagine that many people may not want to bring their kids back to daycare.

I'm sad that my son might actually never see his daycare friends again because he's about to start Kindergarten. I've been considering just pulling him entirely. We're still doing online distance learning.

Yeah I’m also wondering if I should continue to pay for daycare, i was planning on pulling my kids out this summer since I’m a teacher and I can look after them over the summer. 

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah I’m also wondering if I should continue to pay for daycare, i was planning on pulling my kids out this summer since I’m a teacher and I can look after them over the summer. 

I just hate it because I love his teachers. They love him too. I've been paying half price for the distance learning option just because it keeps his teacher employed.

30 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

This study was released a couple days ago:

" The estimated Rt was 1·28 (95% CI 1·26–1·30) during the 2-week period before the start of the school closures and 0·72 (0·70–0·74) during the first 2 weeks of school closures, corresponding to a 44% (34–53%) reduction in transmissibility (figure 3C). Similarly, the Rt calculated from hospitalisation data was 1·10 (1·06–1·12) before the start of the school closures and reduced to 0·73 (0·68–0·77) after school closures, corresponding to a 33% (24–43%) reduction in transmissibility (figure 3D)."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(20)30090-6/fulltext

There's not a lot of peer review out there right now, on any of the articles. But there are tons of cases, both locally and in many other states, of kids getting the virus and transmitting it among friend groups and to relatives.

The school closures coincided with the general social distancing and shutdowns in many places, so I’m not sure that this isn’t just a correlation without a cause.    

2 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

The school closures coincided with the general social distancing and shutdowns in many places, so I’m not sure that this isn’t just a correlation without a cause.    

Yes it’s an interesting question.  I forget where I saw it but I saw somewhere that they think most of the benefit of school closing comes from the fact it caused the adults to stay home more.

22 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

These charts are pretty interesting.  I was wondering why they weren’t per capita but it turns out epidemiologists don’t favor that approach.  Epidemics don’t necessarily spread faster in larger populations.  

Since so many of the US deaths are in our densest city it seems kinda relevant in this case.

Just now, Inverted_Trough said:

True, but per capita makes it appear that we're not doing as terribly as we really are in regards to dealing with this virus; ergo, let's use per capita.

What are we supposed to use?  We can’t use total deaths, for obvious reasons.  And we can’t use per capita either.  

Just because it makes us look better doesn’t mean we shouldn’t use it.  Can we only use things that make us look worse?

Us unfortunately hitting 40k in fatalities today has me thinking about the flu death comparisons...so, that 40-60k average for the regular flu? It takes a whole season to get to that, right? (Perhaps 6 months?). The fact that we hit 40k in less than two months...wouldn't that kinda make a case for this already being worse?

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Us unfortunately hitting 40k in fatalities today has me thinking about the flu death comparisons...so, that 40-60k average for the regular flu? It takes a whole season to get to that, right? (Perhaps 6 months?). The fact that we hit 40k in less than two months...wouldn't that kinda make a case for this already being worse?

Of course.  This is much worse than the flu.  

27 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Of course it would. Over 20k has come in just the last week.

2 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah, it’s amazing how skewed the debate can seem on a forum where a few people are pushing the covid = flu narrative constantly. 

No doubt. When the top health officials say highly contagious and Dr. Fauci says this virus is "unprecedented" that is all you need to know. Those were his exact words. There is no way to spin Fauci's words which in any logical human being should end the debate. 

Just now, HighStakes said:

No doubt. When the top health officials say highly contagious and Dr. Fauci says this virus is "unprecedented" that is all you need to know. Those were his exact words. There is no way to spin Fauci's words which in any logical human being should end the debate. 

What bothers me is that some people are trying to discredit him and the other experts as if their opinion doesn't have any weight (and as if they're part of some "mass hysteria conspiracy")...It sews just enough doubt to make ya second-guess things.

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

What bothers me is that some people are trying to discredit him and the other experts as if their opinion doesn't have any weight (and as if they're part of some "mass hysteria conspiracy")...It sews just enough doubt to make ya second-guess things.

Learn to read the data and form your own opinions. Everyone here and in the media has massive biases. 

17 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Just had to make sure...seeing as there are still some parroting the "it's just like the flu!" mantra (although hopefully they're in the minority by this point, lol)

Unfortunately the "its only the flu crowd " also has the loudest microphones .

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jaydreb said:

What are we supposed to use?  We can’t use total deaths, for obvious reasons.  And we can’t use per capita either.  

Just because it makes us look better doesn’t mean we shouldn’t use it.  Can we only use things that make us look worse?

Many people are very emotionally invested in the worst case scenario for various reasons. 

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic