• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

probably been posted before, but there is an MIT study floating around that strongly implies that the New York mass transit system spread, and is spreading the virus around. 

Here is the link to that study, and a link to a list of the busiest mass transit systems in the US.

Seems that cities with big ridership are prone to be hotspots, as opposed to places like Seattle, Dallas etc....

Perhaps the bus and subway systems should be shut down...

http://web.mit.edu/jeffrey/harris/HarrisJE_WP2_COVID19_NYC_13-Apr-2020.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_rapid_transit_systems_by_ridership

8 minutes ago, Stradivarious said:

probably been posted before, but there is an MIT study floating around that strongly implies that the New York mass transit system spread, and is spreading the virus around. 

Here is the link to that study, and a link to a list of the busiest mass transit systems in the US.

Seems that cities with big ridership are prone to be hotspots, as opposed to places like Seattle, Dallas etc....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_rapid_transit_systems_by_ridership

Kind of an obvious factor. Elevators too.

8 minutes ago, Stradivarious said:

I didn’t go to MIT but I’m not sure you need a study prove that a dirty public transit system makes it easier for a contagious virus to spread more quickly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Baseball could still be played to some degree at some point but no idea when or how 

Golf will be back in June. Individual sports will be the first to get going again. Then outdoor sports like football. The indoor sports will take the longest IMO

Just now, SnowGolfBro said:

Golf will be back in June. Individual sports will be the first to get going again. Then outdoor sports like football. The indoor sports will take the longest IMO

I’m willing to bet the NFL will have mass contract tracing and antibody testing and 15 minute testing machines before many cities do.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

If you think so. I made a one line statement. I am now providing clarifications. I haven’t seen you provide much beyond gotchas. Put your guess out there, champ. 

I'm not in the business of making "hot takes".  That's what millenials on social media do.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Can we define “opening”?

There will not be a grand opening. My best "guess" as to how this plays out in general: by June 1, most of the stay at home orders will be lifted, non-essential businesses will be permitted to re-open, with strong recommendations for continuation of social distancing/use of masks. Bars and restaurants, fitness centers/gyms- it will vary from place to place, but they will gradually be opening up through June, likely with some limitations for a period of time. I imagine the NFL will find a way to make the season happen, maybe shortened and with no or a limited amount of fans in attendance.  I have given up on the idea that widespread testing will be available, as this administration shows little interest in committing to make it happen. So we likely get to see how things go in the weeks/months that follow with continued limited testing/contact tracing. Let nature take its course! Hopefully we have some big ass early summer heat wave, and maybe that will help suppress it.

I might be completely wrong on all of this, but given the more optimistic projections and the economic hardship imposed on many, it is difficult to imagine keeping things "locked" down into mid summer.

12 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Yeah Golf is probably the easiest to get going. They can be spectatorless

2 minutes ago, snowfan said:

PGA tour already announced their modified schedule beginning the week of june 11th. The first 4 tourneys will be without fans. Idk what you do about baseball. 

College football and NFL will be interesting. 

The Arizona idea is wacky. Not sure if they scrapped that or not. Would have to play games with start times at like 7am and then again later in the evening to avoid the blistering heat. If we are destined to get back to some semblance of normalcy by early summer, maybe they just play a shortened season in regular ballparks with no fans. Regular testing probably wont be an issue for big time sports athletes.

31 minutes ago, snowfan said:

PGA tour already announced their modified schedule beginning the week of june 11th. The first 4 tourneys will be without fans. Idk what you do about baseball. 

College football and NFL will be interesting. 

Odd the Masters (first major of the year, usually in April) has been rescheduled for November. What about the British Open, US Open and PGA Championship? Let's face it, the majors are where it's at in golf. Tennis as well...  

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Odd the Masters (first major of the year, usually in April) has been rescheduled for November. What about the British Open, US Open and PGA Championship? Let's face it, the majors are where it's at in golf. Tennis as well...  

The British open was outright canceled. PGA is in August, US Open in September. Augusta National is closed all summer and doesnt reopen til Fall. November would allow for optimal conditions all things considered.

17 minutes ago, snowfan said:

The British open was outright canceled. PGA is in August, US Open in September. Augusta National is closed all summer and doesnt reopen til Fall. November would allow for optimal conditions all things considered.

That's right, I forgot the British open was officially cancelled.

You gotta admit seeing the Masters in November is going to be weird. It's just not a Fall sport (tournament) but hey I'll take it at this point.

5 hours ago, snowfan said:

Something like the masters would never happen.  And the reason is every major MSM news outlet in America would fly an entire crew to Atlanta... put them up in hotels.. to report on how the PGA is putting lives in danger by flying their golfers into town and putting them in hotels.  

I see talk about NYC subways still being open.  This is just proof that the lockdowns are publicity stunts.  If NY was serious about this they would have closed busses and subways first..

How is it that you can take a city bus to McDonalds.. but you cannot sit down and eat.. what sense does that make?

Just now, 40westwx said:

I see talk about NYC subways still being open.  This is just proof that the lockdowns are publicity stunts.  If NY was serious about this they would have closed busses and subways first..

How is it that you can take a city bus to McDonalds.. but you cannot sit down and eat.. what sense does that make?

And I don't want to hear the crap about how if Public Transportation is closed down, then people cannot eat, work, function normally... tell that to the small business owners throughout America whose lives have been obliterated.  

42 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

I dont know how to respond to this without going down the political rabbit hole... but this issue is more about policy than politics.

The point I am trying to make is that so much of the restrictions being put in place are about altruism rather than logic.  Take for example the masters.  They could easily have the masters.. and it would be a huge boost to America.  But they aren't.. and it is not because of the lost revenue due to no spectators.. Rather it is because the PGA doesn't wants to appear as though they care more about fun and entertainment than they do about people.

Everything thats fun is gone.. thats punishment.. not common sense  

When this is all over, you should book a monologue somewhere that has a small stage and alcohol. I’d definitely go. This kind of dry comedy is worth a few bucks.

• Haha 2

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic