Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Now I have really enjoyed engaging others in this thread. It has been by far a very civil discourse among us despite differing views. But after yesterday's incident I have a decision to make as to whether I want to continue participating or not.

As I am sure some are aware, I was attacked by someone that has participated very little, if any, in our discussions since this thread was created several weeks ago. A blind side attack from someone that has a notoriety for doing this over the years. Now I have no issues with someone inserting themselves into a civil discussion between myself and others. I actually welcome it. In fact I can also handle someone blindsiding me in a civil discussion with others. Screaming that I am a partisan hack and I need to take it elsewhere just because they don't like my opinion (ironically enough her own actions called her out for what she was accusing me of). I have engaged with enough trolls in the troll wars on political boards that this isn't an issue. But.... what I can't handle is having selective censorship on these exchanges. Leaving the attacks standing while my own posts in defense of myself (as well as others in defense of me) are selectively deleted. It is hard enough trying to defend my opinions when 90% of the board is arguing vehemently against them, opinions I might add that are formulated by much time and research on my part as to give the most unbiased opinion that I can. So to have the added handicap of seeing my posts in defense of my positions silently disappear is just too much. Now I understand being a moderator can be extremely difficult. Quite often you are thrown into the middle of things and you have no idea what has been going on. So I can accept the fact sometimes mistakes occur. But at some point, when you see moderation constantly favoring one position as I have seen several times in the last couple of weeks,  you have to seriously consider that there isn't an even handed approach being meted out. At that point, you have to ask yourself if it is even worth it. That is where I stand now with a decision to make. Just in case I decide to forego any further discussion I would like to thank many of you that made this a very enjoyable time for me. We are going through a rough time in this country and to have this venue to take my mind off things was a God send. 

Hang in here showme. I've always enjoyed your posts, they're always well thought out and are self-effacing. Sometimes the qualifiers you include in your posts are too nice imho. You don't shout people down and you're more than accommodating to whomever you are engaged with. And I agree that the selective deletions are uncalled for but unfortunately, predictable Everyone has a right to their opinion and no one should have to worry about subtle censorship.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Now I have really enjoyed engaging others in this thread. It has been by far a very civil discourse among us despite differing views. But after yesterday's incident I have a decision to make as to whether I want to continue participating or not.

As I am sure some are aware, I was attacked by someone that has participated very little, if any, in our discussions since this thread was created several weeks ago. A blind side attack from someone that has a notoriety for doing this over the years. Now I have no issues with someone inserting themselves into a civil discussion between myself and others. I actually welcome it. In fact I can also handle someone blindsiding me in a civil discussion with others. Screaming that I am a partisan hack and I need to take it elsewhere just because they don't like my opinion (ironically enough her own actions called her out for what she was accusing me of). I have engaged with enough trolls in the troll wars on political boards that this isn't an issue. But.... what I can't handle is having selective censorship on these exchanges. Leaving the attacks standing while my own posts in defense of myself (as well as others in defense of me) are selectively deleted. It is hard enough trying to defend my opinions when 90% of the board is arguing vehemently against them, opinions I might add that are formulated by much time and research on my part as to give the most unbiased opinion that I can. So to have the added handicap of seeing my posts in defense of my positions silently disappear is just too much. Now I understand being a moderator can be extremely difficult. Quite often you are thrown into the middle of things and you have no idea what has been going on. So I can accept the fact sometimes mistakes occur. But at some point, when you see moderation constantly favoring one position as I have seen several times in the last couple of weeks,  you have to seriously consider that there isn't an even handed approach being meted out. At that point, you have to ask yourself if it is even worth it. That is where I stand now with a decision to make. Just in case I decide to forego any further discussion I would like to thank many of you that made this a very enjoyable time for me. We are going through a rough time in this country and to have this venue to take my mind off things was a God send. 

Take care of yourself and be healthy. Come back soon, if your change your mind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Looks like some of the gang from the politics side is here now. You should just stop posting, These guys are all friends and will always protect each other. If they don't get their way, they will run to the admin. I wouldn't bother with this thread any longer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Quite a few asymptomatic/presymptomatic people walking around NYC!

13.5% is 1 in 7 ;)

But I’m not sure pregnant women, who are likely seeing an increased exposure to hospital systems, are representative. Those numbers are more in line with EMS, healthcare workers, firemen, police. Basically people with increased exposure due to health care systems.

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Looks like some of the gang from the politics side is here now. You should just stop posting, These guys are all friends and will always protect each other. If they don't get their way, they will run to the admin. I wouldn't bother with this thread any longer.

"Here" now? lol. Considering that approximately 100% of those who post on the politics forum come from this weather forum, this is hardly a revelation.

The selective censorship thing (not just here but everywhere) used to absolutely enrage me.. but then I realized two very important things.. 

1- it is their media.. not yours... and they have the right chose what they want to show... so you just have to live with it.

2- when someone censors you, it is a form of trolling in of itself.  When you let it bother you.. they win

On a much larger note... when platforms like youtube and twitter select and censor their content, they abandon the principles that their platform have been built on and ultimately put it in jeopardy.. the effort taken by these organizations to force content to conform with their organizational values is astounding.  I can only imagine how many employees and how many algorithms that they have written to support this futile effort. 

I can understand if someone uploads a video of someone getting killed and they want to take that down.. thats fine..

but if some wack job claims that covid-19 is caused by 5G towers and as a result, someone sets a cell phone tower on fire.. and youtube feels it should censor future content like that.. then they are taking it one step too far... and are taking too much credit.

Another more benign example

lets say #theconstitutionisnotoptional goes viral on twitter.. and this result in a group of covid deniers protesting.. if twitter censors that because they believe a protest puts lives in jeopardy (due to social distancing violations) then you can see how this raises all sort of questions.. and actually adds fuel to the fire. 

But again.. it is not your platform.. it is theirs.. and they can censor whatever they want.

12 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

The selective censorship thing (not just here but everywhere) used to absolutely enrage me.. but then I realized two very important things.. 

1- it is their media.. not yours... and they have the right chose what they want to show... so you just have to live with it.

2- when someone censors you, it is a form of trolling in of itself.  When you let it bother you.. they win

On a much larger note... when platforms like youtube and twitter select and censor their content, they abandon the principles that their platform have been built on and ultimately put it in jeopardy.. the effort taken by these organizations to force content to conform with their organizational values is astounding.  I can only imagine how many employees and how many algorithms that they have written to support this futile effort. 

I can understand if someone uploads a video of someone getting killed and they want to take that down.. thats fine..

but if some wack job claims that covid-19 is caused by 5G towers and as a result, someone sets a cell phone tower on fire.. and youtube feels it should censor future content like that.. then they are taking it one step too far... and are taking too much credit.

Another more benign example

lets say #theconstitutionisnotoptional goes viral on twitter.. and this result in a group of covid deniers protesting.. if twitter censors that because they believe a protest puts lives in jeopardy (due to social distancing violations) then you can see how this raises all sort of questions.. and actually adds fuel to the fire. 

But again.. it is not your platform.. it is theirs.. and they can censor whatever they want.

lol dude, take a few deep breaths, everything is going to be ok, it’s just the mods trying to keep the discussion away from politics.  

10 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Maryland and DC both with their highest one day deaths so far, Maryland with 40 and DC with 15.  

yeah that stinks. There were 6-more deaths at that nursing home in Carroll County

4 minutes ago, snowfan said:

MD w 100+ new hospitalizations and fewer than 10 released. 

I wish we had a better idea of what hospitals patients are going to and how strained they are. Being the spatial nerd that I am, I would love to see the zip-code data overlaid with hospital locations and the range at which they serve. just to get an idea of how strained they are, or are not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mappy said:

I wish we had a better idea of what hospitals patients are going to and how strained they are. Being the spatial nerd that I am, I would love to see the zip-code data overlaid with hospital locations and the range at which they serve. just to get an idea of how strained they are, or are not.

I think the only data out there is the MIEMSS CHATS system that details emergency room alerts for all MD hospitals and if the hospital has run out of ECG monitored beds, which I assume would be a indication Covid patient hospital strain.

5 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Keep posting well thought out posts like you always do.  The mods have their inherent biases.  The people that defend the mods deleting posts have the same biases.  It seems this thread has so much politics baked in the cake it should have at least one moderator with a different set of Inherent biases.  That way there can be some communication about Both sides crossing the line.  Nothing is going to ever perfectly fair.  But IMO either all comments should be allowed (not ideal because of trolls) or an attempt should be made to have a moderator with a different view provide input.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SnowtoRain said:

I think the only data out there is the MIEMSS CHATS system that details emergency room alerts for all MD hospitals and if the hospital has run out of ECG monitored beds, which I assume would be a indication Covid patient hospital strain.

The Johns Hopkins dashboard now includes county based hospital information, but isn't quite specific enough to get an idea on how strained things are. it lists total numbers, but not what is being used.

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

The Johns Hopkins dashboard now includes county based hospital information, but isn't quite specific enough to get an idea on how strained things are. it lists total numbers, but not what is being used.

Yeah, I think the red alert status for a hospital on CHATTS website is the closest to usage that can be found right now.  Some hospitals in MOCO and PG have been on red alert for days.  Johns Hopkins and Bayview were a few weeks ago, but the BMORE hospitals have not been on red alert much over the past week.  Again this is for ECG and telemetry beds so it indicates all patients being monitored at the hospital irregardless of disease.

You can query data to see how often each hospital has been on red alert, but the website is a bit slow.

Just now, SnowtoRain said:

Yeah, I think the red alert status for a hospital on CHATTS website is the closest to usage that can be found right now.  Some hospitals in MOCO and PG have been on red alert for days.  Johns Hopkins and Bayview were a few weeks ago, but the BMORE hospitals have not been on red alert much over the past week.  Again this is for ECG and telemetry beds so it indicates all patients being monitored at the hospital irregardless of disease.

You can query data to see how often each hospital has been on red alert, but the website is a bit slow.

can you share the link, please?

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic