Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

6 hours ago, H2O said:

Is something going on?  I'm still working like normal.  Whats all the hubbub about?

haha

Quarantine & work-from-home... What's that? The only difference at my work is more phone calls/emails, some closing of sections of the park, and a much shorter commute (20-25 minutes!). 

19 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Florida's stay at home order excludes churches, and excludes local municipalities doing any tougher restrictions of their own.

Florida's gonna make New York's numbers look like rookie numbers.

They already from a confirmed case number.  God's Waiting Room.

3 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Honestly no. I love going to Rehoboth and going to DFH and all the other cool places, but after a couple months of basically staying at home, that will be a weird transition to make. I mean I am longing for it in my mind, probably even more than usual given the circumstances,  but I may be a little hesitant when we are given the "all clear".

Hard to imagine an "all clear" until there's a vaccine, unless it totally goes away for a few months which seems doubtful. Better, faster testing and a widely available antibody test would help a "semi clear", if it turns out there's some degree of immunity from having had it. Wonder how long it will take to get to that point.

30 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Because we all need some good COVID news, it appears the curve is actually flattening on a log chart over the last 6 days nationwide. This bodes well and shows that staying at home works. 

MvKzZ7b.png

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing that. And using log over linear will always imply a flatter look than actual. 3000+ more new cases today so far than yesterday, deaths over 1000 again seems inevitable (990 as I type this) , and recovery rates much lower than deaths still. Next 10-14 days will be horrible....but we will get there. I want to be optimistic and I am but realistically we cant rush it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing that. And using log over linear will always imply a flatter look than actual. 3000+ more new cases today so far than yesterday, deaths over 1000 again seems inevitable (990 as I type this) , and recovery rates much lower than deaths still. Next 10-14 days will be horrible....but we will get there. I want to be optimistic and I am but realistically we cant rush it. 

There's a lot to be hopeful with this chart. Log charts allow you to see if exponential growth is occurring. The exponential phase has decelerated tremendously. That's an absolute result of measures that have been taken in the last few weeks, and expected. However, it doesn't mean that growth isn't occurring. Rather, that growth isn't as fast, percentage wise, as it was earlier in this disease.

It's a good thing. If the curve flattens the way it looks above, it's going to take us a while to get to 1,000,000 cases.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Hard to imagine an "all clear" until there's a vaccine, unless it totally goes away for a few months which seems doubtful. Better, faster testing and a widely available antibody test would help a "semi clear", if it turns out there's some degree of immunity from having had it. Wonder how long it will take to get to that point.

Well, by "all clear" I meant back to normal- i.e. reopening the economy, as Trump unrealistically wanted to do on Easter, just because. Who knows when that will happen exactly, but I am sure it will occur prior to a vaccine being developed and widely available.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Well, by "all clear" I meant back to normal- i.e. reopening the economy, as Trump unrealistically wanted to do on Easter, just because. Who knows when that will happen exactly, but I am sure it will occur prior to a vaccine being developed and widely available.

I know, I'm just thinking it might take quite a while to get things really percolating again...

18 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I know, I'm just thinking it might take quite a while to get things really percolating again...

I don't disagree. It may in fact be well into the fall, so in that respect you may be correct. It is possible there will be a vaccine available by then.

I agree on your other points. Early, effective, and widely available testing would have been a game changer. Not sure how much of a difference it will make now, but it sure wouldn't hurt. Why wasn't the greatest nation on earth prepared?

The answer to the question of preparation is complex, but I have read multiple articles stating that CDC is perennially very well prepared to meet such a situation. A pandemic is very difficult to anticipate and respond to, and this one has emerged from a region subject to totalitarian rule, a country that is a major threat to the US. This will also take a long time to determine with the focus now necessary to counter the virus. 

43 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I don't disagree. It may in fact be well into the fall, so in that respect you may be correct. It is possible there will be a vaccine available by then.

I agree on your other points. Early, effective, and widely available testing would have been a game changer. Not sure how much of a difference it will make now, but it sure wouldn't hurt. Why wasn't the greatest nation on earth prepared?

By the same token, you could ask why wasn’t Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Belgium, Netherlands and Austria prepared.  Because each of those countries has more cases per capita than we do.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

By the same token, you could ask why wasn’t Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Belgium, Netherlands and Austria prepared.  Because each of those countries has more cases per capita than we do.  

And the answer is that governments don't spend huge amounts of money on "possible future pandemics ". Too many other needs.

17 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

I don't doubt for a second we'll surpass all of those.

Maybe if we purchased a few less F-35 aircraft, or didn't have to maintain thousands of nuclear warheads that we'll never use, or wasting money on a border wall, we could have spent money on a bigger ventilator and PPE stockpile.  The DoD gets a trillion dollars per year and yet we don't have an adequate ventilator stockpile.

Pandemics happen and will continue to happen.  It's just nature.  It's up to us to be prepared and we clearly weren't ready.  The fact that Hollywood has churned out several pandemic movies over the past twenty years shows you they were more clairvoyant than our leaders are

2 hours ago, supernovasky said:

I don't doubt for a second we'll surpass all of those.

You may right.  Dr. Birx said today that she is seeing a lot of these countries starting to bend their curves.  We are not, mostly because people are not doing enough social distancing in certain areas.  She specifically referred to the metropolitan areas in Louisiana, Michigan and Illinois.  California is apparently doing well at this point.   

Some morning thoughts.

Just my opinion but looking at the infection rate increase charts is probably a not a good way to get a read on where we stand as far as the virus. The fact that we had very little testing initially and we are now continuing to increase testing is going to skew these charts. Now maybe there is a way to mathematically get a more accurate read considering all the variables but that is way above my pay scale. Think a far more accurate read, though faulty in its own right, would be to look at the deaths and those I would look at over several days as we will see a waxing and waning from day to day. And even this method will start to become skewed as doctors become better able to treat their patients through trial and error, if the malaria drugs/aids drugs actually are found to work or God forbid we see our hospitals crash.

We are seeing guesstimates that a vaccine will be available for mass distribution in the US in 1 to 1 1/2 years. This would be far to late to help if we see a secondary flareup in the Fall/Winter if this virus ends up being of the seasonal variety. Now I haven't really looked hard into this at this point so this is pretty much guesswork on my part from what little I have read. But from what I have seen so far the major hangups with the delay seem to be with our own internal regs/red tape as well as the mass production of any vaccine. I will make a prediction here. I bet we see a vaccine available for in the US in under a year. We will more then likely see a cutting of the red tap/regs. And as far as the mass production, after China's threat of with holding the vaccine I think we will see a concerted effort to put in place in-house production so we are not relying on outside players. Now really the question in my mind is can we get this done quickly enough in time for the flu season? After all we are talking roughly 8 months from now and it may be asking too much.

11 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Oh, is that so? Why’s that?

First off... if there was an actual capacity issue.. then Javits would be full right now... the central park thingy would be full and that navy ship would be taking the non covid cases..

But they are not (unless you want to prove me wrong by walking over and taking some pictures.. like the real youtube reporters do)

My bet is that the hospital are losing money right now due to lower volumes.. they make bank on ER cases when crazy moms take their kids in because they hit their head or they get a rash.. thats money train has dried up... 

I wouldnt be surprised if we start seeing some health care systems going bankrupt or becoming insolvent during this period. 

Secondly.. this artical doesn't reflect reality.  If someone is in Cardiac arrest or their heart stopped beating and Paramedics think that they have a shot to live by getting them to the hospital.. that patient is being transported.. I dont care what the article says or what bs policy was made...someone is gonna do their job and try to save that patient.  

Nice discussion. I like that we can have differing opinions and present them respectfully. It’ll make the corn hole games at this summer’s meet-up all the more entertaining. ^_^

15 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Was in Home Depot this morning to get electrical  supplies and what a surprise ( not)  . It was a 1985 Cocoon convention to say the least at the paint counter...again:axe:.  Around 10 old timers buying paint caring less about anything else . Essential items only I thought lol. At least the depot should only limit 2 at the counter at once . They're doomed lol . 

It seems like this has been a common in the UK too.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PDIII said:

First off... if there was an actual capacity issue.. then Javits would be full right now... the central park thingy would be full and that navy ship would be taking the non covid cases..

But they are not (unless you want to prove me wrong by walking over and taking some pictures.. like the real youtube reporters do)

My bet is that the hospital are losing money right now due to lower volumes.. they make bank on ER cases when crazy moms take their kids in because they hit their head or they get a rash.. thats money train has dried up... 

I wouldnt be surprised if we start seeing some health care systems going bankrupt or becoming insolvent during this period. 

Secondly.. this artical doesn't reflect reality.  If someone is in Cardiac arrest or their heart stopped beating and Paramedics think that they have a shot to live by getting them to the hospital.. that patient is being transported.. I dont care what the article says or what bs policy was made...someone is gonna do their job and try to save that patient.  

Youre a lost cause. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PDIII said:

Unless the medical community steps up to the plate and starts feeding more accurate information, I really think stuff like this is a sign of things to come: 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/02/825897966/train-engineer-says-he-crashed-in-attempt-to-attack-navy-hospital-ship-in-l-a

Im trying really hard to defer to katie here....but you have zero clue what in the **** you are talking about and you should give it a rest. Please. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, BxEngine said:

Im trying really hard to defer to katie here....but you have zero clue what in the **** you are talking about and you should give it a rest. Please. 

@mappy he is mad at me.. please do something.. 

6 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

2 minutes ago, PDIII said:

@mappy he is mad at me.. please do something.. 

sure. 5 posts per day to start sounds pretty good. take a break man.

4 minutes ago, PDIII said:

Hold on.. are we allowed to talk politics now?  If so I have been waiting for this!  Up until this point I have kept my posts to links to CDC websites, scholarly articles and youtube videos of hospital parking lots.. but if we want to talk about politics.. oh boy.. lets get it!

nope. we aren't going to get into pissing matches here on who to blame. if wanna go blame someone, this includes you @Wonderdog please go to the politics forum

www.americanpol.com 

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic