• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs 2020

George BM

It's worth checking out the overnight runs of the HRRR.    All of them have some healthy reflectivity signals for later this afternoon over most of Maryland east of the Potomac.    The freezing levels are really low, so if this is right, these would be showers with likely graupel or small hail.      It's worth noting that I haven't seen nearly as good of a signal in the other hi-res models, but the HRRR is consistent.....

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 7:47 AM, RDM said:

Good morning, If you haven't done so already, try cleaning the solar array with a rag and water periodically (if you can easily access it).  Suggest not using windex or anything with a solvent in it.  The ammonia may do more harm than good on the plastic cover over the array.  I clean mine every couple months now.  It helps some, or so it seems.  But the cloudiness of the plastic cover is getting worse and at some point I'll need to have the array replaced (if that's an option) or just buy a new unit.  Davis is probably betting on the 2nd option on purpose.  

You can buy a replacement cover here:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-pro2-parts/housing-parts/davis-7345-114-pro2-iss-sim-solar-panel-front-cover/

Or just the panel:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-vue-parts/davis-7011-017-vantage-vue-solar-panel/

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Chilly and overcast. How novel:rolleyes:

It feels like highs in the 70s are the most elusive thing around here (Balitmore area) that people think happen all the time...

We go through quite a few days each March - mid-May where we are the wrong side of a wedge and while there may be days with 70s all over central VA they never seem to get here in the same frequency. But we do great zooming from this kind of weather to 88 and above so we go that going for us...

Mount Holly AFD-

Convection is expected on Thursday afternoon and Thursday evening in advance of a cold front approaching from the west. There could be some moderate to heavy rainfall at that time. Much of eastern Pennsylvania, northeastern Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey may receive an inch or two of rain with locally higher amounts possible. A robust low level southerly jet (50+ knots) is anticipated. Its axis may be off the coast before the convection arrives. However, the strong wind profile along with some low level directional shear could result in some organized storms with strong wind gusts in our region.

The bolded sounds familiar. Pretty much what happened with this last "event". Some other dynamics appear to be in place for this one though.

We shall see. Potential for some heavy rain exists.

9 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

I actually thought it was a decent day. Cloudy at times including now but there was a period where it was fairly sunny and felt good out. At least here anyway 

Quite the opposite.  Been cloudy & chilly all day....and actually its been raining for a good portion of the day.

The next system looking impressive on guidance currently.

From Mount Holly

The system continues to trend slower and actually expect through most of the day this heavy rain should stay off to our west until it approaches and moves in late day. Ahead of it, there will continue to be some lighter rain/showers but the bigger concern during the day looks to be gusty southerly winds. LLJ at 925 mb looks to be 50+ knots but the question is how much of this can mix down. Think 30-40+ mph gusts should be doable for most areas near and south of the Fall Line but the GFS indicates even stronger winds may possible with gusts over 50 mph possible so this will have to be watched closely.

The main concern for very heavy rain looks to be late day Thursday (most likely after 20z or so) through Thursday evening into the overnight as the south/north oriented front approaches from the west and eventually moves through while a secondary low develops along it. Expect this to bring with it the plume of moderate to heavy rainfall associated with the deep moisture feed from the south. PWATs look to be 1.25 to 1.5 inches associated with the strong LLJ and there will likely be a training pattern to the precip as it moves south to north ahead of front. The upshot is that the rain may be heavy enough Thursday night to result in hydro issues that could be more than just "run of the mill" type problems.

• Like 1

On Saturday I made a tee time for today because my NWS forecast was sunny and 64. Reality was an all day rain and temps in the mid 40’s. Now I’m not making this post as some type of criticism. I’m just marveling at the fact that we NEVER get a surprise precip event with much below forecast temps in winter. It seems we never get that surprise snow event. Just think how fun it would be to have that happen just occasionally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

On Saturday I made a tee time for today because my NWS forecast was sunny and 64. Reality was an all day rain and temps in the mid 40’s. Now I’m not making this post as some type of criticism. I’m just marveling at the fact that we NEVER get a surprise precip event with much below forecast temps in winter. It seems we never get that surprise snow event. Just think how fun it would be to have that happen just occasionally.

It's the nature of this area that the only 'surprise' events we generally see are complete suckage.

• H2O unpinned this topic