Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Grass hasn't grown very little if any at all in the past week. That 25+30 degree  lows this past week definitely helped.  Tonight has a good shot to hit freezing . I've only mowed twice  . Let's keep it up. I don't care about @C.A.P.E. plants :whistle:

Why did he plant sensitive plants in March anyway.....lol

I try to never plant things with feelings myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Grass hasn't grown very little if any at all in the past week. That 25+30 degree  lows this past week definitely helped.  Tonight has a good shot to hit freezing . I've only mowed twice  . Let's keep it up. I don't care about @C.A.P.E. plants :whistle:

Why did he plant sensitive plants in March anyway.....lol

I did it a week or so ago. LOL 3 freeze warnings since. It felt like Spring so early this year. Guess I got lulled into it.. I covered em' again. THIS should be the last time.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I did it a week or so ago. LOL 3 freeze warnings since. It felt like Spring so early this year. Guess I got lulled into it.. I covered em' again. THIS should be the last time.

My full bloom 30 year old fruit trees were zapped by 27 degrees Sunday morning. Can't cover those girls.

• Sad 1

I think we'll see a sharp transition from cool to very warm or even hot around the mid-May timeframe. But as of the next 2 weeks, I think it'll be cooler and wetter than normal. Polar vortex is finally breaking down and the main source of cold air now is the arctic with all the snowcover still. Once that melts the temps are off to the races

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

I think we'll see a sharp transition from cool to very warm or even hot around the mid-May timeframe. But as of the next 2 weeks, I think it'll be cooler and wetter than normal. Polar vortex is finally breaking down and the main source of cold air now is the arctic with all the snowcover still. Once that melts the temps are off to the races

That would figure.  We're set up for the worst possible Fall to Spring pattern for those of us who enjoy beautiful 60s and 70s and snowy 20s and 30s:  Above normal September/October, below normal November, above normal Jan-March, below normal April, and above normal May.  That's a lot of 40s and 50s quickly transitioning from/to 80s and 90s.  Bleh!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Fully believe that the theory of a region wide drought is false and based on what must be incomplete data. We are above normal here, in a place that is prone to being dry.

Hello up north. I don't know who has a theory of a "region wide drought"?  Can you enlighten me? What is his or her handle?  During late March after a very dry month in Augusta I posted an advisory of a growing rainfall deficit in the central valley. I also advised that this is NOT DROUGHT,  but we would be in agricultural drought if the pattern continued another 60 days.

Fortunately, April has been generous. The first 22 days gave my recording station 2.58". Normal for the first 22 days of April would be 2.42".

3 hours ago, stormy said:

Hello up north. I don't know who has a theory of a "region wide drought"?  Can you enlighten me? What is his or her handle?  During late March after a very dry month in Augusta I posted an advisory of a growing rainfall deficit in the central valley. I also advised that this is NOT DROUGHT,  but we would be in agricultural drought if the pattern continued another 60 days.

Fortunately, April has been generous. The first 22 days gave my recording station 2.58". Normal for the first 22 days of April would be 2.42".

The region wide drought thing I mentioned was referring to those drought maps we often see posted. I’ve always thought they were notoriously inaccurate. Heck around here 5 miles can be the difference between desert and swamp, especially during the thunderstorm season.

16 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Steady light rain has commenced here. I got ready this morning by cleaning the bird turd out of the rain gauge that got dumped in there a few days ago. I had to break out the big gun brewery cleaning PPW powder to get the last of the dried-on stuff out of the inner cylinder.

I just got a new one a few days ago. My old one was junk and cracked when the water froze. It's out there collecting rain for the first time. Just applied some nitrogen to my corn growing soil. This rain is perfect for melting it into the soil. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The region wide drought thing I mentioned was referring to those drought maps we often see posted. I’ve always thought they were notoriously inaccurate. Heck around here 5 miles can be the difference between desert and swamp, especially during the thunderstorm season.

Those drought maps are often 2 or 3 weeks outdated. The short-long term map yesterday from NOAA was dated April 11. This map indicated large portions of northern Virginia and Maryland in a short-term drought condition.

The latest map dated April 18 indicates all of this area back into a normal condition after beneficial rains.

I never depend on any government operation to be prompt about anything. Simply, too much bureaucracy.

We are all normal at this time.

I have enjoyed chatting with you!  I have received .42" rainfall today at 7 pm. 

• H2O unpinned this topic