Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs 2020

George BM

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

30.  Frost on the pumpkin. 

:lol:

Has anyone else noticed how much clearer the evening and night sky has been the last couple of weeks? Out walking last night particularly reminded me of fall. I guess because the skies naturally look clearer in October compared to August, but the lack of pollution now is even way better than that difference.

Venus has been spectacular without the light of the moon the last few nights.

16 hours ago, mappy said:

...skipping a veggie garden this year, wanted to do a butterfly garden but i think i'm too late to get that started. who knows.

Not too late to get a butterfly garden started!  Get a couple butterfly bushes (I recommend "Miss Violet" - just 3-4 feet, full and nice purple color), a couple lantana, some zinnias and annual vinca from the garden center around mid-May.  Deer and rabbits will mostly leave all of those things alone, and the annual vinca flower all the way to frost.  If you want monarch caterpillars, look for some milkweed plants.

33 when I got up in Germantown -- no ice on the birdbath but some frost.  Snow for our NE forum folks huh?  They can have it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Not too late to get a butterfly garden started!  Get a couple butterfly bushes (I recommend "Miss Violet" - just 3-4 feet, full and nice purple color), a couple lantana, some zinnias and annual vinca from the garden center around mid-May.  Deer and rabbits will mostly leave all of those things alone, and the annual vinca flower all the way to frost.  If you want monarch caterpillars, look for some milkweed plants.

33 when I got up in Germantown -- no ice on the birdbath but some frost.  Snow for our NE forum folks huh?  They can have it.

oh thank you! ill have to see if i can pick them up from a local place in the new few weeks. 

are those annuals or perennials? my garden space is also our burn pit for brush and stuff, so i can only plant things in the space that die after the season. no long-term stuff there. that was the compromise with mr map lol

1 hour ago, mappy said:

oh thank you! ill have to see if i can pick them up from a local place in the new few weeks. 

are those annuals or perennials? my garden space is also our burn pit for brush and stuff, so i can only plant things in the space that die after the season. no long-term stuff there. that was the compromise with mr map lol

The butterfly bush is perennial, all the rest are annuals.  If you only want annuals, I'd go with some taller zinnias and milkweeds with the smaller anual vinca in front.  I love those annual vincas -- they look kinda like impatiens but are for the sun and rabbits won't touch them.

43 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

The butterfly bush is perennial, all the rest are annuals.  If you only want annuals, I'd go with some taller zinnias and milkweeds with the smaller anual vinca in front.  I love those annual vincas -- they look kinda like impatiens but are for the sun and rabbits won't touch them.

Thanks, good to know!

4 minutes ago, snowfan said:

My garden attracts lots of butterflies and bees between the coneflowers, butterfly bush, Shasta daisies, and the coreopsis. All perennials. I usually have to prune the butterfly bush to keep in check each season.

yeah, we have a decent size garden along our deck that has a ton of butterfly friendly plants. bee balm, blackeye susans, day lillies, etc. we too just prune them each year. 

but i have my own dedicated veggie garden space, but decided this year i didn't want to do veggies. we always grow way too much and they go uneaten despite how often i give to friends. so wanted to do something different this year.

CFSv2 advertising a warmer than normal pattern starting by the end of May. I expect the first half of May to be above normal temperature wise. Not sure about the 2nd half, that's too far away. CFSv2 is also advertising a warm pattern throughout the whole month of May

• Like 1

Pattern still looks to turn warmer towards the end of April

4indices.png

Any -NAO looks transient at best, and the EPO is soon going positive. It's been advertised for about a week to go positive around the same time, actually. Warmer pattern coming as expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

Pattern still looks to turn warmer towards the end of April

Any -NAO looks transient at best, and the EPO is soon going positive. It's been advertised for about a week to go positive around the same time, actually. Warmer pattern coming as expected.

Music to my ears.  I’m over the chilly weather. 

• H2O unpinned this topic